Motor-Assisted Bicycle Adventures. anyone?

Motor-Assisted Bicycle Adventures. anyone?

Postby augidog [OP] » July 28th 2020, 6:08am

Since buying my bicycle and 1st engine in 2006, I've been an addict. I still have the same bike, but a bit modified, and have used a lot of different gas-engines and/or electric-motors on her. I actually got started because of budget, and at one time I literally lived on the bike for about 2 years. I've never been that nuisance rider I'm sure many of you have encountered, but have always behaved myself on the road.

Here's what's left of an old personal website, no updates in ten years and the external links are dead, but a few adventures and the photo albums are fun.

http://mb-rambler.mysite.com/
arrival_in_haines.jpg

I have a ton of pics and a few new stories, too, and no place online anymore but here. If nobody minds i'll use this thread for that, and if anyone here has their own MaB stuff to share, I'd like to see it.

what was once an affordable necessity is now my new expensive hobby. I've run the bike on the Salt Flats twice, but I want to start racing every year. that's the plan, anyway, and since this year's been cancelled, I have a long time to perfect the bike and to learn more about tweaking 50cc engines for single-speed performance.
Scanned original Chevrolet-GMC Dealer "Product Information Guides."
Detailed Options w/RPO's. Learn all about your Astro/Safari's first build.
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=142268
Original Poster [OP]
augidog
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Topics: 16
Alias (AKA): Augie
Van Model Year: 1995
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: AWD High-Top

Re: Motor-Assisted Bicycle Adventures. anyone?

Postby chevymaher » July 28th 2020, 11:17am

You are the project farm guy on You Tube.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby augidog [OP] » July 28th 2020, 2:18pm

that was an unexpected response, and I'm not sure how I'm supposed to interpret it :think:
Original Poster [OP]
augidog

Postby M_a_t_t » July 28th 2020, 3:41pm

I used to rock one these before I had my license. I ended up trading it for 2 RC cars. Then a few years later my neighbor put the same exact bike (just the regular bike) out for free. I had been thinking about building another for awhile so I took it as a sign that I should build another bike. I still have it now. I usually just use it for parts runs to the o'reillys down the road.

1973 Fiat 124 Special
1975 Honda Civic CVCC 4spd
1981 Kawasaki KZ750E
1981 Kawasaki KZ650 CSR
1983 Kawasaki KZ1100-A3
1986 Nissan 300zx Turbo 5 spd
1995 Chevy Astro RWD
1995 Mercury Tracer
2004 Chevy Astro AWD
2017 Kawasaki VersysX 300
M_a_t_t
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: M_a_t_t has been a member for 5 full yearsM_a_t_t has been a member for 5 full yearsM_a_t_t has been a member for 5 full yearsM_a_t_t has been a member for 5 full yearsM_a_t_t has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 27
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: cl rwd

Postby augidog [OP] » July 28th 2020, 3:42pm

that particular engine style (which I dubbed the "Chinese Super Bicycle Happy Time" in 2007, and many still refer to as the "HT") can be quirky, but it appeals to the casual or first-time user as affordable. in my photo album "evolution" you can see the first version of my bike. an experienced mechanic can keep them running pretty good. most avid enthusiasts either completely re-build them (there are some serious tweaks that can be done) or move up to other more reliable engines and drives. I have one on the patio, which I got for free, and I haven't been able to re-home it so it might wind up in the pound.

I organized a MaB rally in 2008, it took most of a year to promote, and it was a moderate success. we attracted several different styles of the same general specifications.

living now in the Oregon Dunes area, I'm thinking I could work on a A/S event if there's any interest.
Original Poster [OP]
augidog

Postby doogaloo » July 28th 2020, 4:50pm

I have a friend that works in a bike shop. He is always telling stories of people who strap gas engines to bikes. They bring them in because "the brakes don't work". What do you expect when you're traveling at 30MPH and slam on the brakes. :rolling:
doogaloo
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: doogaloo has been a member for 2 full yearsdoogaloo has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 32
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1999

Postby augidog [OP] » July 28th 2020, 5:11pm

doogaloo wrote:They bring them in because "the brakes don't work"...:rolling:
no kidding! when I was running the MaB forum, I tried to push safety and minimum standards. you know how that worked out. 30mph in flip-flops and only a rear coaster brake. SMH!! I bet your friend won't touch 'em because of liability. I walked away from the highly successful forum I'd built because I didn't want to be associated with the juvenile posers anymore.

these are my wheels. the bike handles more like a light motorcycle than a bicycle.
the fastest I've ever run was with a Tanaka 47R at sea level...53mph, and we are both still right side up.
IMG_20200728_090212.jpg

Alex Rims DM-24 downhiller rims
Sturmey-Archer Drum Brake sealed-bearing hubs
NOS "Hap Jones" 10G motorcycle spokes
Continental "KKS 10" Moped (not bicycle) Tires, ordered in from Germany

built by Jim "The Wheelmaster" Burkman in the Seattle area. find him on facebook.
20180506_104103.jpg
20180506_123548.jpg
if you need spoked wheels for anything, motorcycles, dragsters, antique autos, aircraft, bicycles, food carts...Jim's your guy.
Original Poster [OP]
augidog

Postby Astrofarian » July 29th 2020, 2:59pm

Jim is VERY well-known and respected in the custom Harley world, too! Wow, I can't say I'd want to be going 53mph on one of those machines but props and respect to you and those who live that life! They actually remind me of old board-track racing motorcycles from the 30's....and no brakes there, either!
-M!ke-
Move along....all is well.....return to your homes.....nothing to see here.
Astrofarian
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Astrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA): M!ke
Extra Info: Someday......

Postby augidog [OP] » July 29th 2020, 3:34pm

Astrofarian wrote:Jim is VERY well-known and respected in the custom Harley world, too! Wow, I can't say I'd want to be going 53mph on one of those machines but props and respect to you and those who live that life! They actually remind me of old board-track racing motorcycles from the 30's....and no brakes there, either!
-M!ke-
unlike the basic "engine kit on a bicycle" my bike can safely handle these speeds, and more...my goal is 60mph on the 1-mile course, with 50cc or under. in 2008 I achieved 32.4mph with a 32cc, which (unofficially) earned me best speed-to-displacement at >1mph/cc. try doing that on your Ninja.
salt4.jpg
salt4.jpg (15.52 KiB) Viewed 538 times
there's nothing more exciting than hearing my starter say "Augie, the course is yours."
and then he does that ZZ Top thing & points me down the track.

I met Jim (and consequently his father Morrie) online when he joined the forum in 2006. we've had an excellent real-life friendship ever since. I was really tickled that they appreciated what I was doing with the bike, and in fact I have a place on their wall of fame, which includes some seriously well-known bikers of every genre.

For the motorcycle enthusiasts here, I'd like to share what inspired ME to take it further. my bike, Sabrina 2 (the name is a story unto itself) is built to the same mechanical specs (1.5hp single-speed belt-drive) as the earliest "Motor Bicycles" except that those guys would have killed for a 32cc 2-stroke that out-performed their 196cc iron monstrosities. not to mention my "Superwheels" from The Wheelmaster.

George Wyman was a professional bicycle racer with The San Francisco Wheelmen. yup, old-old-school boardtrack. he was the first American Bicyclist to circumnavigate Australia, among other unsung accomplishments, including the FIRST motorized U.S. Transcontinental trip of ANY kind, in 1903. he wrote the story in 5 installments for The Motorcycle Magazine, and if you enjoy turn of the century literature and it's quaintness, you'll really like reading his journal.

http://wymanmemorialproject.blogspot.co ... goals.html
GAW logo.jpg
Wyman Journey Poster.png
Last edited by augidog on July 29th 2020, 10:49pm, edited 1 time in total.
Original Poster [OP]
augidog

Postby chevymaher » July 29th 2020, 8:47pm

augidog wrote:that was an unexpected response, and I'm not sure how I'm supposed to interpret it :think:

It was a good thing. He tested several engine on bike kits. He always has cool projects. He is like a myth busters type show.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby augidog [OP] » July 29th 2020, 10:07pm

chevymaher wrote:
augidog wrote:that was an unexpected response, and I'm not sure how I'm supposed to interpret it :think:

It was a good thing. He tested several engine on bike kits. He always has cool projects. He is like a myth busters type show.
well then, thank you for saying so :mrgreen:

I reviewed a ton of samples when I first got started, and came to know all the players, for better or worse. it helped the fledgling forum grow FAST. I bet the bike had a dozen different engines that first year. lot of work with only one bike, but i gave the engines away after the write-up, and built me a flock of co-riders and new addicts. you know what they say..."first one's free."

when Golden Eagle sent me a sample of their belt-drive kit, my MaB life really took off. as smooth as an old Singer sewing machine, it's the only system I've used since "discovering" it.
2b4672ae7995fe29ca2e367bc15c3734.jpeg
Original Poster [OP]
augidog

Postby SheldonYoung » July 29th 2020, 11:41pm

Here are 2-49cc Bikes I Built.

Tough as a Motorcycle, with Springer Front Ends, Motorcycle Spokes, Disc Brakes, Automatic Transmission... Loads of Fun!
Attachments
DSCN1064.JPG
DSCN1200.JPG
'97 Astro (AstroSurf)
'05 Astro
'00 Astro
'01 Safari (Surfari)
SheldonYoung
Years of Membership: SheldonYoung has been a member for 2 full yearsSheldonYoung has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): FrankenRodz
Van Model Year: 2001

Postby augidog [OP] » July 29th 2020, 11:54pm

I see the front S-A XL-FD, which is an excellent choice & the same hub (but drilled for 10G) I use. I don't see a brake cable to the rear...Shimano CB-110 coaster?

those 4-stroke honda clones are definitely a step above the chinese 2-stroke. which "tranny" did you go with?

thanks for sharing, I suspected this crowd had a few closet MaB'ers.

(be mindful of the pivot area on your springers, depending on how hard you ride they can develop micro cracks. they're not as stout as the original Schwinns)
Last edited by augidog on July 30th 2020, 12:07am, edited 1 time in total.
Original Poster [OP]
augidog

Postby SheldonYoung » July 30th 2020, 12:04am

Rear Coaster Brake
EZM
Custom 56 Tooth Sprocket
Attachments
A Side View.JPG
A Pipe Side View 3.JPG
'97 Astro (AstroSurf)
'05 Astro
'00 Astro
'01 Safari (Surfari)
SheldonYoung
Years of Membership: SheldonYoung has been a member for 2 full yearsSheldonYoung has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): FrankenRodz
Van Model Year: 2001

Postby Rockridge » July 30th 2020, 12:09am

I have a full-on bicycle hobby (was thinking about a bicycle thread as it seems many of us enjoy riding). I had a pretty serious antique bicycle affliction for a while, I'm mostly cleared now though. Still looking for a Whizzer. Might just build one myself someday with the 1940's 3hp Clinton I have in the shop. Have fun on your motored bikes. Keep the round side down!
Rockridge
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Rockridge has been a member for 4 full yearsRockridge has been a member for 4 full yearsRockridge has been a member for 4 full yearsRockridge has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 46
Alias (AKA): Walker
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby augidog [OP] » July 30th 2020, 12:10am

I knew the EZM folks, and was in on the shop talk, before EZ even existed, that led to the development of their first slip-clutch. you wouldn't have liked those first kits, too cheesy, but clearly they've come a long way.

SheldonYoung wrote:
Custom 56 Tooth Sprocket
oh yes...as the legs get older, the rear engine sprocket gets larger :lol:

(for the curious, these aren't exactly free rides...you have to pedal during acceleration and up hills)
Last edited by augidog on July 30th 2020, 5:01am, edited 5 times in total.
Original Poster [OP]
augidog

Postby augidog [OP] » July 30th 2020, 12:12am

Rockridge wrote:I have a full-on bicycle hobby (was thinking about a bicycle thread as it seems many of us enjoy riding). I had a pretty serious antique bicycle affliction for a while, I'm mostly cleared now though. Still looking for a Whizzer. Might just build one myself someday with the 1940's 3hp Clinton I have in the shop. Have fun on your motored bikes. Keep the round side down!
I can point you towards an original 1945 Whizzer here in town, very clean but also very pricey. I have pics somewhere.
Original Poster [OP]
augidog

Postby Rockridge » July 30th 2020, 12:42am

Thanks, I'll find something local, or not... I had CAD plans on my old computer for a Hawthorne Zep based motorized bike. Big fan of board tracker, streamline style. The unfortunate reality is, there is really nowhere I would ride something like that. Have several bikes waiting in line for restoration including my grandfather's 1898 Dayton dual steer tandem. Only been sitting on that for 25 years now....... If you find yourself in beautiful NH, hit me up.
Rockridge
Years of Membership: Rockridge has been a member for 4 full yearsRockridge has been a member for 4 full yearsRockridge has been a member for 4 full yearsRockridge has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 46
Alias (AKA): Walker
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby augidog [OP] » July 30th 2020, 4:41am

I lived in Portsmouth/Kittery (and briefly Manchester) early 1980's i think, sounds about right. that would have been a perfect time and place for one of these contraptions. maybe except for the drawbridge that was all see-through grating.

so, let me hook you up with the Whizzer and then I'll deliver it :thumbup:

:rolling:

i think i'd really like hanging out in your shop, crack a beer, look at bikes. and vans. got a pic of the Clinton?
Original Poster [OP]
augidog

Postby 97cargocrawler » July 31st 2020, 1:45am

All I been doing the past 4 months is building an ebike in my shop. Took a $300 Mongoose Dolomite (rode it around the block once) and started to mod it. $6K later and it's still not done. It's too embarrassing to show at the moment. It's more like a vintage electric motorcycle with manual override. :oops: It's the only thing keeping me from completely losing my ****.
97cargocrawler
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: 97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 42
Alias (AKA): KING OF OVERKILL
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 RWD

Next