I pulled it off

I pulled it off

Postby paintdrying [OP] » May 8th 2012, 2:20am

I got a service call from a home owner that I tend to dread. It is the one where the husband and wife get to old to care for their home. I was looking at taking over from a gentleman that had built and lived in his home for 50 years.
I have been chased away more than once from these sort of jobs. The wife called me asking if I could take his ladder away because at 89 he was trying to get on the roof. Oh, sure. He will probably help me load it.
This guy was not easy to win over. He knew his stuff and was not going to have some young newbie telling him a thing. He actually threw my business card on the ground. Things started turning the corner when he watched how I placed my ladder and climbed on to his roof. I came back down to give him his first bid in 89 years. What he wanted done, and what needed to be done were two different things. I knew this was a big moment in this couples life. i gave him the bid for what he wanted done, then I went and did what needed to be done.
He began to figure things out after about 3 hours that the right thing was being done. His way would have been 15 minutes and done. He watched as I worked, oh, you have done that more than once he was probably thinking
I put everything away and they both came out wondering if I was going to try and add a bunch of money to the bid. No same price. I could not believe it, they gave me more than was ever imaginable. I would just like to say what nice people, and I earned the respect of an old time craftsman.
By the way, did you know they made extension ladders out of wood?
1999 chevy astro van awd ls 108,000 miles
parts van 2000 astro rwd 279,000 miles
Original Poster [OP]
paintdrying
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: paintdrying has been a member for 9 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 9 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 9 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 9 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 9 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 9 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 9 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 9 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 94
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 108 000

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • It ain't an astro, but id drive the wheels off it
    by Wokka » August 23rd 2020, 11:35pm in Off Topic
    0 Replies
    Last post by Wokka View the latest post
    August 23rd 2020, 11:35pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    September 24th 2020, 7:09am

Re: I pulled it off

Postby Big_kid » May 8th 2012, 2:26am

Congrats! Way to be a class act too.
95 Astro Conversion of unknown irrelevant lineage
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Big_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 185
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: 2WD 5.7 V8

Re: I pulled it off

Postby Jasen » May 8th 2012, 2:27am

I've been on a few of those. My Grandpa had a wooden 32' You ain't a man till you've moved one of those down the side of the house a few times :lol:
I'm a Journeyman woodworker,
Every projects a journey man.

Ultra gauge

Being a mad scientist IS NOT as easy as it look's on TV

Jasen
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Jasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 260
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: AWD cargo Dutch door