need a spare van immediately, opinions on full size vans?

need a spare van immediately, opinions on full size vans?

Postby tinworm [OP] » May 10th 2012, 3:42pm

My 89 astro is down with an as yet unknown issue. Im dropping it off to have the compression tested today, but I need a work van for next week.

Locally, I did find another work astro for sale, which has some rust, but would work since I am pretty familiar with those vans, but also, I found an 86 full size chevy van for sale for 800 bucks.

Anyone have any opinions on the full size vans of that vintage? its a short version, has some scribble on the side, guy says it runs fine, used if for moving tires.

Obviously, its pretty old, anyone have experience with these vans?
Original Poster [OP]
tinworm
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: tinworm has been a member for 10 full yearstinworm has been a member for 10 full yearstinworm has been a member for 10 full yearstinworm has been a member for 10 full yearstinworm has been a member for 10 full yearstinworm has been a member for 10 full yearstinworm has been a member for 10 full yearstinworm has been a member for 10 full yearstinworm has been a member for 10 full yearstinworm has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 65
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Please post the year of your van when asking questions
    by markmitch » August 28th 2020, 3:38pm in Off Topic
    4 Replies
    Last post by AstroOafAdventurer View the latest post
    August 28th 2020, 4:06pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    November 28th 2020, 12:21pm

Re: need a spare van immediately, opinions on full size vans

Postby tinworm [OP] » May 10th 2012, 3:57pm

my research shows the shorty big van may have the same 4.3 v6 as the astro. hmmm
Original Poster [OP]
tinworm
Years of Membership: tinworm has been a member for 10 full yearstinworm has been a member for 10 full yearstinworm has been a member for 10 full yearstinworm has been a member for 10 full yearstinworm has been a member for 10 full yearstinworm has been a member for 10 full yearstinworm has been a member for 10 full yearstinworm has been a member for 10 full yearstinworm has been a member for 10 full yearstinworm has been a member for 10 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby MadMaxiVan » May 10th 2012, 6:06pm

im selling a white 99 cargo astro and it needs nothing but front tires and an alignment.
the front end has already been redone,just not aligned.
new ball joints idlers etc.
this van is from missouri and has No Rot at all.
also it has a fullsize reese hitch.
1500 or best offer.
interesting trade??

its turn key right now ,the titles clean and clear and you are in the same state. :driving:
lmk,cheers.

also,my opinion of the big fullsize vans is yes some are v6 powered and all of them are gas guzzling pigs.
at least the astros are decent on gas.
no offense to you big van lovers!!
MadMaxiVan
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: MadMaxiVan has been a member for 8 full yearsMadMaxiVan has been a member for 8 full yearsMadMaxiVan has been a member for 8 full yearsMadMaxiVan has been a member for 8 full yearsMadMaxiVan has been a member for 8 full yearsMadMaxiVan has been a member for 8 full yearsMadMaxiVan has been a member for 8 full yearsMadMaxiVan has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 20
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: 4.3 auto 2wd

Postby tedanderson » May 10th 2012, 11:28pm

Once you go big... you don't go back.

I used to have a 1990 G20 and I would have to say that it was indeed the BEST van ever.. next to my 85 G10 which didn't have power steering but it was still a great van regardless.

IMO full sized shortys are more of a groovy pimp/party van where you install that half-moon bubble window on the side towards the rear doors and run shag carpeting from the floor to the ceiling. All that would be missing is a chain steering wheel and a chrome skull shifter... ok.. come back Ted.. come back. :D

But when I had my G20 I used to laugh at anyone driving an Astro until I drove one in the company vehicle fleet. Then I understood. :)

But overall I think that having a G-Series along with an Astro is a good pair of vans to have and it would complement your vehicle collection nicely. Look at it this way- If you ever have an issue with one van, you can always pull the part you need off of the other in an emergency.
tedanderson
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: tedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 76
Alias (AKA): 2Big4aMiniVan
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari

Postby MadMaxiVan » May 10th 2012, 11:35pm

http://s874.photobucket.com/albums/ab30 ... 0B%20Team/

ps Ted,ya gotta go with the wood steering wheel ;) the chain one is too hard on the hands :dance:
MadMaxiVan
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Years of Membership: MadMaxiVan has been a member for 8 full yearsMadMaxiVan has been a member for 8 full yearsMadMaxiVan has been a member for 8 full yearsMadMaxiVan has been a member for 8 full yearsMadMaxiVan has been a member for 8 full yearsMadMaxiVan has been a member for 8 full yearsMadMaxiVan has been a member for 8 full yearsMadMaxiVan has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 20
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: 4.3 auto 2wd

Postby RECox286 » May 10th 2012, 11:50pm

Hush yo' mouf, Ted boy... Now you got my panties in a bunch ! "once you go big.... C'mon be honest now.

Truth said, I started out with a full size G van ("Come on Sherman, get in the Way-back machine to see how things were in 1972." "OK, Mr Peabody. ")

and put a lot of miles and smiles on it. Then came the Extended G van. And when it bit the dust we started with the Astros. Haven't had a yen to

go back to the big'uns, even after having the Astro platform pulled off the market. Seems inevitable that we will all end up with the "whateveris-

available" when the last of the Astro's ride into the sunset...

The G van was a good, reliable, steady platform as far as I was, and am concerned. It certainly didn't have the front end suspension/steering parts

problem that plague the M vans. But then there were other headaches that haunted them. Overall I would give them an 8 out of a 10.

Much better than any other van I have had the pleasure to bump noses with.

To answer your question: for $800, I'd snap that sucker up in a half a flicker of a quick lambs tail.

Uncle Bob
Start a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life.

Sent using two Progresso soup cans and a string
RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 40
Alias (AKA): Uncle Bob
Van Model Year: 1993
Extra Info: RWD V6 [325K mi]

Postby paintdrying » May 11th 2012, 2:46am

People are nervous about gas prices, so they are selling cheap. I am going to go with a full size when I have time to make the switch. Easier to install the ladder racks. More room and more power. I am looking for a g 30 which is the one ton.
They suck the gas but if it is making money than heck yeah.

I still love the astro but i need more room and do not want to hassle with a trailer.
1999 chevy astro van awd ls 108,000 miles
parts van 2000 astro rwd 279,000 miles
paintdrying
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: paintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 94
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 108 000

Postby tinworm [OP] » May 11th 2012, 2:37pm

so I went and looked at this van yesterday-

http://providence.craigslist.org/cto/2971697905.html

94 astro AWD, low miles, guy was SUPER honest if anyone else is looking for a all wheel driver version who may be local. Big issue with that van is two broken components, a brace that supports the front diff is snapped right through, would need to be immediately removed and welded, and the passenger side of the sway bar is snapped, probably related to the brace being broken.

Other than that, it runs fine with an exhaust leak, is fully set up inside, and has good tires and brakes on it. Guy took it off the road when he saw that brace. Would probably go for a lower offer, but im still looking around.

This is the other 86 full size van, which I have not seen yet, might take a look today-

http://providence.craigslist.org/for/2963104166.html

also available is a early 90s ford aerostar cargo van, which might be good for a couple weeks of use too. Shameful to think of breaking the boundries of astro use though. :D
Original Poster [OP]
tinworm
Alias (AKA):

Postby icebrrg3rd » May 11th 2012, 3:09pm

I had a 93 G20 before the Astro, I'm still tempted by their size and hauling capabilities vs the Astro, but then I slip my shorty into a real tight spot and I don't miss the large van at all.
VanSmall.jpg

I'd still have it if the wife hadn't broken her car and was using it, it leaked oil & she ran it dry, locking up the engine. I would've done an engine swap if it didn't have that much cancer. But it led me to get an Astro, so in a way it was fate, right?

-Andrew

p.s. I do miss those cool vent window on front, love those! Wish they were on the Astro.
81 Yamaha Maxim 650XJ 650cc 68k mi
91 Chevy Astro 5L 5-speed, Ford 9" 265k mi
02 Yamaha Road Star 1600cc 27k mi
02 Chrysler Sebring Conv. 2.7L 5-speed 216k mi
10 Chrysler Town & Country 3.8L 194k mi

To her it's all dollars and no sense--Wimpazz
icebrrg3rd
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: icebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 49
Alias (AKA): Andrew
Van Model Year: 1991
Extra Info: V-8 5-sp RWD Shorty

Postby tinworm [OP] » May 11th 2012, 5:59pm

well, my 89 is fixed just in time! :mrgreen:

Sometimes it pays to have second opinions that are trustworthy. Compression is perfect across the board. turned out to be a vacuum leak that the mechanic fixed incidentally while doing compression on cylinder #1, which I completely missed. :oops:

some crispy line finally broke from an engine fire last year. Back to running like a top!
Original Poster [OP]
tinworm
Alias (AKA):

Postby chevymaherchevymaher is online! » May 11th 2012, 8:17pm

I grew up with vans. Mom and dad had custom vans when I was growing up. We got a chev maroon with gold striping, Custom interior table that made into a bed deal. I have owned a same model.
1975_chevy_van.jpg

Then we got a blue ford. Same deal custom interior.
88ford-van.jpg
88ford-van.jpg (63.79 KiB) Viewed 972 times

Then we got 4 astros and this safari I got now. They wore them all out.
I have driven them all. I like the astro/safaris much better than the full size. Full sized are good work trucks. But compared to them our vans are like driving a sports car. Gas milage better. IMO look better.
chevymaherchevymaher is online!
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby paintdrying » May 11th 2012, 11:34pm

I meant to ask what sort of work you were doing? Still cleaning fish tanks :rofl:
1999 chevy astro van awd ls 108,000 miles
parts van 2000 astro rwd 279,000 miles
paintdrying
Years of Membership: paintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 94
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 108 000

Postby chevymaherchevymaher is online! » May 11th 2012, 11:56pm

paintdrying wrote:I meant to ask what sort of work you were doing? Still cleaning fish tanks :rofl:

Cleaned my fish tanks 2 days ago. Today I was putting in pool filters. A bigger fish tank.
chevymaherchevymaher is online!
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby tinworm [OP] » May 14th 2012, 4:31pm

paintdrying wrote:I meant to ask what sort of work you were doing? Still cleaning fish tanks :rofl:

lol, was this to me or to chevymaher? :D

The fish tank hood is starting to rust! :( , fortunately I have 3 spares now.

I use the van for cargo during the weeks for a small industrial filtration supply company shipping and receiving, and on the weekends it moonlights as property management and home restoration service vehicle. Essentially, I use the crap out of the van. On top of that, I am pretty regularly towing other cars with it as part of my other hobbies.

The 89 is running better than ever! I just towed a jetta with it this morning, incredible what these vans will do.
Original Poster [OP]
tinworm
Alias (AKA):