Which drill to buy

Which drill to buy

Postby paintdrying [OP] » June 4th 2012, 2:25am

I have been using my corded black and decker drill for all my more serious carpentry projects the last few years. No real complaints. I do always have a cordless drill on hand for quick shots here and there.
So I just landed a bid to build a bridge and deck area in a far off wooded area. I can build alot of the project near the house and haul it over, but I will need a good impact driver with some torque and battery life. I have been amazed at my dewalt and makita impact drivers. Years of faithful service. They are just beat up and could not handle this next job.
I am tempted tp just go buy another makita and be done with it. Man those new ridged are real nice, but 180 dollars vs 125 dollars. I also do not want to buy anymore combos.
I always must worry about someone stealing my tools, or dropping them to there death.
What are you guys using and what should i buy...
1999 chevy astro van awd ls 108,000 miles
parts van 2000 astro rwd 279,000 miles
Original Poster [OP]
paintdrying
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: paintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 94
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 108 000

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • PSA: buy the warrantied surge suppressors/battery back-ups
    by Leeann_93 » September 4th 2020, 11:48pm in Off Topic
    13 Replies
    Last post by Leeann_93 View the latest post
    September 6th 2020, 12:08am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    November 28th 2020, 11:49am

Re: Which drill to buy

Postby Lumpy » June 4th 2012, 3:26am

I dropped my 18v DeWalt off the roof of a grocery store to a concrete walkway. Broke one of the flutes off the phillips bit, scraped the drill case up a bit, but it still works just fine, 10 yrs later.

The Rigid's are warranty'd for life, including batteries. Only kind of service I've needed/done in over 10 yrs was to replace the motor brushes for 7 dollars. And I've replaced the batteries once, 100 bucks for a pair. They lasted about 7 yrs in a drill and the other two tools I own.

I own several other DeWalt cordless tools. I've had such bullet proof luck with the drill, I bought the recip saw, circular saw and now a 2nd drill (the compact on sale now for 119 including 2 batts and charger). I will likely also buy a jig saw and angle drill, also DeWalt, at some point. Nice to be able to share batteries and chargers.

My cordless tools don't stray far from the shop/garage. So ultra long battery life isn't a factor. If it were, I'd deal with it by either taking more batteries, taking a 110v charger or both. If I was really dealing with extreme batt life, I'd consider lithium batteries. But that's not necessary for my usage.

I am, at times, abusive to my drill. I take baled hay core samples in the field several times per year. That drives a large diam core drill 18" deep into a tightly packed bale of grass hay. It stresses the motor I'm sure. I've also used my 3/8 DeWalt cordless to drill into concrete and into some seriously hard steel. I've worn out a lot of bits but never the drill driver.

I would have to assume that the differences between very good quality brands are more things like ergonomics than dependability. All of the major brands have been in heavy use by contractors for decades. Perhaps with the exception of Rigid. I think they're relatively new compared to Makita and DeWalt.

I did own a 12v Makita once. It was more "homeowner" level rather than contractor level quality. It burned up after trying to use it for some pretty stressful situations. Case and all remained intact. It may have simply needed new brushes. But the torque wasn't up to what the 18v DeWalt would do. So I didn't try and rebuild the Makita. Surely the Makita higher voltage drills are more robust. Plenty of contractors use those.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby chevymaher » June 4th 2012, 3:38am

I used makitas in drywall for screwguns. At least there they were not up to par. Shaft bearings went out. Lasted about a year. Dewalt and black and decker lasted about 10 years and you could rebuild them.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby junkout » June 4th 2012, 4:32am

i like my milwauki stuff 5 year unconditional waranty on tool 3 on battery
junkout
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Years of Membership: junkout has been a member for 9 full yearsjunkout has been a member for 9 full yearsjunkout has been a member for 9 full yearsjunkout has been a member for 9 full yearsjunkout has been a member for 9 full yearsjunkout has been a member for 9 full yearsjunkout has been a member for 9 full yearsjunkout has been a member for 9 full yearsjunkout has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 4
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: awd work van

Postby sadglad » June 4th 2012, 5:01am

paintdrying wrote:.....I am tempted tp just go buy another makita and be done with it. Man those new ridged are real nice, but 180 dollars vs 125 dollars....

$180 vs $125 ? Totally worth it!

We use cordless tools all day, everyday. Makita has never let us down. This is the Lithium 18v stuff. I also have a new Bosch impact that seems awesome but too early to tell about long term. The Dewalt stuff has also worked very well.

My older NiCd based Milwaukee stuff was junk. I have two sets. Maybe the newer Lithium stuff is better. Low torque drills and sawzalls. Both sawzalls stripped the gears in short order and only cut at half the speed of Dewalt or Makita when they did work. I have about $1000 worth of dead Milwaukee batteries.
sadglad
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: sadglad has been a member for 8 full yearssadglad has been a member for 8 full yearssadglad has been a member for 8 full yearssadglad has been a member for 8 full yearssadglad has been a member for 8 full yearssadglad has been a member for 8 full yearssadglad has been a member for 8 full yearssadglad has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 22
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2002
Extra Info: 2002 AWD Cargo

Postby WoodButcher » June 4th 2012, 12:38pm

I had an 18v dewalt charger that ran off the cig lighter a few years back but now use an inverter in the truck. i have a small 400w that will run 2 chargers just fine so my vote is stick with what you have, get an inverter, more batts and a drill if you need them but of the same model if possible. This way you have parts when a tool dies.
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 30
Alias (AKA): Bruce
Van Model Year: 1993
Extra Info: 5.7L RWD

Postby AWDASTROVAN1999 » June 4th 2012, 1:21pm

Im a DeWalt guy myself ...
AWDASTROVAN1999
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: AWDASTROVAN1999 has been a member for 9 full yearsAWDASTROVAN1999 has been a member for 9 full yearsAWDASTROVAN1999 has been a member for 9 full yearsAWDASTROVAN1999 has been a member for 9 full yearsAWDASTROVAN1999 has been a member for 9 full yearsAWDASTROVAN1999 has been a member for 9 full yearsAWDASTROVAN1999 has been a member for 9 full yearsAWDASTROVAN1999 has been a member for 9 full yearsAWDASTROVAN1999 has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 9
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby paintdrying [OP] » June 4th 2012, 1:31pm

will always remember the first day on a job 8 years ago. I looked at the boss, and miss took him for a homeowner with tools when I saw that little dewalt impact driver. We were building a huge loft in a warehouse out of old tongue and groove heartwood pine boards. As I went to screwing down the boards I could not believe the power coming out of that little drill.
Screw after screw, long 6 inch deck screws, Wow, i had never seen anything like it.
I was looking at those Bosch drills, they are only selling them in the combo around here. I have a few corded Bosch jigsaws and will use nothing else. Very very nice.

I will say the dewalt cordless jigsaws are pretty nice as well. I had one of those Milwaukee drills, way to heavy to use all day...
Someone stole all my batteries off a job so I threw the drill away.
Original Poster [OP]
paintdrying
Years of Membership: paintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby paintdrying [OP] » June 5th 2012, 1:23am

the problem with buying the extra batteries is they are costing almost as much as a drill with a battery
Original Poster [OP]
paintdrying
Alias (AKA):

Postby Jasen » June 5th 2012, 1:34am

Makita 18v lithium impact. Mines 6 yo, still one original batteries. I'm not very nice to it at all, drive 3/8x5 lags, run it till it burns my hand, dropped it 6-10' a number of times, and it won't die.

No offence, but I will never buy another Yellow tool so help me Astro, I've got Makita's and PC tools that have outlasted the yellow turds. The last DW I had, a corded drill, started smoking the third time I used it, it couldn't handle a 3" hole saw in a wet 2x6, had to finish the hole and cut 2 more with the 6 yo abused Makita cordless drill.
I'm a Journeyman woodworker,
Every projects a journey man.

Ultra gauge

Being a mad scientist IS NOT as easy as it look's on TV

Jasen
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Years of Membership: Jasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 260
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: AWD cargo Dutch door

Postby paintdrying [OP] » June 5th 2012, 2:47am

My last dewalt impact driver was only on off. The makita was variable speed. I thought that the light on the makita was a gimmick until I was called out late at night to reconnect a drier vent. I had to reach behind a dark nasty dryer and screw a strap across the pipe to hold it in place. Oh, now all my drills must have that little light, and the makitas glow in the dark. And not to worry I did not screw the dryer vent. Someone had rigged it and I was not about to try and rerig something at 11 at night...
dewalt is not to bad really, many of their tools are light.

After a year of working off a six foot ladder with the Milwaukee super sawzal, the dewalt seemed pretty nice. Probably about five pounds less nice.

I do not think they ever caught on but I had a few of those makita 4.8 drills with the battery incased. I could get 4 long screws into a cabinet, which made life a little easier hanging big cabinets alone. Then it would take over night to charge. :crying:
Original Poster [OP]
paintdrying
Alias (AKA):

Postby junkout » June 5th 2012, 3:18am

yeah the old milwaukee stuff sucked the lithium stuff is pretty good makita is better but costs allot more. the new 20v lithium dewalt stuff is rated about the same as the milwaukee lithium stuff but hasnt been out long enough to be really feild tested. my milwaukee 18v lithium stuff is 3.5 yrs old and no problem except when i dropped impact driver off a two story house the case broke and milwaukee fixed it for free in a week and a half
junkout
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Years of Membership: junkout has been a member for 9 full yearsjunkout has been a member for 9 full yearsjunkout has been a member for 9 full yearsjunkout has been a member for 9 full yearsjunkout has been a member for 9 full yearsjunkout has been a member for 9 full yearsjunkout has been a member for 9 full yearsjunkout has been a member for 9 full yearsjunkout has been a member for 9 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby junkout » June 5th 2012, 3:24am

i have worked with lots of guys with dewalt stuff and have not liked any of their cordless stuff very much it just isnt balanced very well the trigers arent as controllable ect. really my choice would be a panasonic but they have gotten to expensive. i still have my 11 year old 15.6v panasonic with the origonal batteries. they dont hold a charge very long any more but hell they are 11 years old if price was no issue i would definatly buy panasonic
junkout
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Jasen » June 5th 2012, 4:01am

I've looked at the Panasonic's a few times, but like you said, spendy. My power and pneumatic tools are mostly green, black and gray with some orange and black moving in. DW used to be pretty good, but it seems they let their popularity go to their heads and the quality isn't what it used to be, Makita did the same years ago, but they came back with a vengeance. I see DW's fail on the job a lot and I ask how old it was, and often it was 1-3 years old. I've been getting some Ridgid the past few years. Got the little trim router that I beat to death for 5 years, then gave it to my buddy when they came out with the new one. Recently got the 9 amp Ridgid sawzall, seems to have more umph then the other smalls ones I've used, talked to a number of guys with the Ridgid worm drives and they like them better then the Skill's, I know, that's sacrileges.
Maxx is supposed to be the **** for Pneumatic's, but they are really spendy to.

For most, B&D or the like are fine, but when it's your butter knife, it's got to be top quality at a some what reasonable price.
I'm a Journeyman woodworker,
Every projects a journey man.

Ultra gauge

Being a mad scientist IS NOT as easy as it look's on TV

Jasen
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Years of Membership: Jasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 260
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: AWD cargo Dutch door

Postby Sailing_Faith » July 1st 2012, 6:22am

Another vote for 18v dewalt... I just built an entire house with mine (I built mostly by myself from digging trenches and setting forms to installing doorknobs... beat the thing to death and it is still going strong...

I would recommend the hammer type drill over the compact. The compact (some models at least) have plastic gears.
Sailing_Faith
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: Sailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 57
Alias (AKA): s/v Faith
Extra Info: SLT 4.3l RWD G80