Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Back from my 3-week, 12204km (7583mi) Canada trip

959 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  AstroCan 
#1 ·
Well I put some mileage on the van. Went from Manitoba to Ontario, north of Lake Superior, down the west coast of Lake Huron to Niagra Falls, went east to Toronto, further East to Kingston, followed the Rideau Canal Heritage Road to Ottawa, went north into Quebec, to Val d'or, saw some lonely gold mine towns, lots of lakes and forests (forgot my fishing rod daaaaayyyuuuuummmmmm :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: ) went straight west from there, back to Manitoba, then Saskatchewan (pretty much just driving "through" it), Alberta - followed the crowsnest pass west through the mountains, into B.C. - going north through Kelowna to Whistler, then south to Vancouver, took 4 ferries to get to each of the islands including Vancouver Island. 12204km (7583mi) - all the van needed was fuel and an oilchange, ran very strong (and still does) and was pretty decent on the gas mileage (around 22mpg). It was a very nice trip! :swerve:

On my way home yesterday I was chased by some tornados in Saskatchewan, shat my pants but made it out!

Now I wish I could upload some pics but I am on dial up at the moment. :screaming:

#2 ·
AstroCan said:
On my way home yesterday I was chased by some tornados in Saskatchewan, shat my pants but made it out!
:lol: :lol: :lol: PICS! of the tornado, and not the pants

AstroCan said:
Now I wish I could upload some pics but I am on dial up at the moment. :screaming:
They still have dial up???? lol

#7 ·
astroguy said:
Sounds like you had a good time!

The wife and I are planning a cross Canada trip in my 97Astro this coming spring! From Hamilton,Ont to B.C.!!

Any useful tips or info?

i know its a LONG way away but i would like to plan ahead lol
Well be sure to drive through northern Ontario, it's so beautiful there. I took the ferry to Manitoulin Island, a little shortcut and a nice break from driving.
It's not really worth stopping in Manitoba or Sask, just keep driving. If you need a motel in one of these provinces stop in Brandon, MB and Swift Current, SK. Regina is usually always outta rooms.
I took Hwy 3 on my way to BC (Crowsnest Pass) - beautiful! Elevations up to 8000ft I believe. You can follow it all the way to Vancouver or drive north towards Kelowna (also beautiful area) and take the Goldrush Trail to Whistler, and then Vancouver.
If you plan to travel the islands, there is a round trip ticket which saves you 10%, it's for four ferries.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.