Surco TA100 Spare Tire Carrier Mount

Surco TA100 Spare Tire Carrier Mount

Postby PPS [OP] » February 3rd 2015, 3:32am

Has anyone installed one of these? Looking for instructions...
1994 GMC Safari AWD
Breed and Show Shetland Sheepdogs
Original Poster [OP]
PPS
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: PPS has been a member for 5 full yearsPPS has been a member for 5 full yearsPPS has been a member for 5 full yearsPPS has been a member for 5 full yearsPPS has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 4
Alias (AKA): PPS
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: Surco TA100 Spare Tire Carrier Mount

Postby PPS [OP] » February 12th 2015, 3:18am

Surco TA100 Spare Tire Carrier Installation
I ordered this because my donut spare was rusted really bad and after reading about the problems with the spare winch, I decided if I was going to spend the money, I would rater have a full sized spare. I was surprised that no one had any experience with this carrier on the forum, so thought I would share my experience.

I got this from Amazon for $70, free shipping, and no tax. When it came in, I unboxed it, there were not any installation instructions and the hardware was 4-bolts (3-short and 1-long) and 4-nuts. I tracked down the parent company and emailed them. Their reply was they expected these to be installed by a professional installer and I would need additional hardware. I replied to them and stated that I thought that was crap, you most always get instructions with a retail purchase. My second email from Surco, stated that they were in the process of putting together instructions and that if I called they would support me over the phone. Any who, this is how I got it installed:

I removed the driver’s side rear door interior. There 7-8 screws around the edge. Then you pop out the metal snap in mounts working your way around slowly. You also have to remove the 3 torx screw from the window latch.

I then popped off the speaker grill by gently prying around the edges with a flat screw driver. Then there were 3 screws that held the carpet/interior panel in place. I had to drill out 4 rivets that held the speaker in and then I unplugged the speaker and set it aside.

The carrier is made specifically for the Astro/Safari so it could only fit in a very limited way. I found that the “Y” side fit between the hinges on the door and that the holes had to be drilled pretty close to the outside edge in an area I called a trough on the inside (this area is double sheet metal), otherwise the carrier would have to be moved father toward the center of the door and then you would be beyond the door edge (see photos).

I did a fit test to make sure my stock tire size P215/75/R15 would clear the bumper and not block the taillight and window. This is how I knew for sure that the “Y” end went toward the taillight. If you reverse it, it will cover your taillight.
I marked and drilled the upper left hole first and put the first bolt in the carrier. As you can see by the photo, I put a large washer behind the nut to give it more surface area for weight stress on the sheet metal.

I then lifted the carrier into place and marked the second mounting hole on the “Y” side. I used the outside edge of the door and my line up mark. After drilling, I installed the bolt and used another large washer for more surface area. I did not tighten anything down until all holes were drilled and bolts started.

For the double holes mount on the right side (bottom of “Y”) I lifted the carrier until I felt it was lined up good with the door and drilled my holes. In this area you only have the single sheet metal to mount to, so I figured to support it with a strong backer plate. I used a old door hinge, the holes were very close to correct and it is strong metal.
I then looked it over good and tightened all the bolts. One of the supplied bolts broke, the head sheared in half and I was not even close to tight, so I had to go to my spare stock for a replacement.

The tire mounting carriage bolts came with locking flat washers to hold them in. When I did my test fit, I realized that the wheel did not touch the carrier with about an inch to spare, so I added real lock washers and nuts to make the carriage bolts more secure. You could elongate the upper hole and gain some more height for a larger tire, but I don’t think this would support a big spare unless you did some modifications.

I loaded the spare onto the carrier and secured it with washers and plastic tipped locking nuts. It feels very secure and I am happy with the installation.
Attachments
20150206_130534.jpg
trough.jpg
left side.jpg
right side.jpg
without spare.jpg
finished.jpg
1994 GMC Safari AWD
Original Poster [OP]
PPS
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: PPS has been a member for 5 full yearsPPS has been a member for 5 full yearsPPS has been a member for 5 full yearsPPS has been a member for 5 full yearsPPS has been a member for 5 full years

Postby jrsride2002 » February 12th 2015, 3:23am

DUDE!! That looks great!! Thanks a ton for the write up, and photos :banana: :ty: :cheers: :clap:

~Junior
2001 RWD: E-Fan mod(Ford mystique/contour), 1" radiator swap , external trans AND oil coolers (2)Flex a lite 3826, firestone air bag helpers

2000 AWD: Offroad/camping Project
jrsride2002
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: jrsride2002 has been a member for 11 full yearsjrsride2002 has been a member for 11 full yearsjrsride2002 has been a member for 11 full yearsjrsride2002 has been a member for 11 full yearsjrsride2002 has been a member for 11 full yearsjrsride2002 has been a member for 11 full yearsjrsride2002 has been a member for 11 full yearsjrsride2002 has been a member for 11 full yearsjrsride2002 has been a member for 11 full yearsjrsride2002 has been a member for 11 full yearsjrsride2002 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 37
Alias (AKA): Junior
Van Model Year: 2001
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LS V6 RWD

Postby Meterpig » February 12th 2015, 3:28am

Nice...very nice. Any thoughts on the extra weight?
How many sensors, fuses or computers does a Bw4472 need? Zero.

1999-2005 FSM PDF (Torrent) https://www.thepiratebay.org/torrent/30867489/astro_safari_van_fsm_factory_service_manaul

2004 Astro-https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-F7bd6R/
Meterpig
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: Meterpig has been a member for 5 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 5 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 5 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 5 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 63
Alias (AKA): meterpig
Van Model Year: 2002
Extra Info: Not a minivan

Postby Meterpig » February 12th 2015, 3:29am

On second thought, this wouldn't work with dutch doors as the hatch would hang up.

1999-2005 FSM PDF (Torrent) https://www.thepiratebay.org/torrent/30867489/astro_safari_van_fsm_factory_service_manaul

Meterpig
Years of Membership: Meterpig has been a member for 5 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 5 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 5 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 5 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 5 full years

Postby Lumpy » February 12th 2015, 3:30am

That does look good. Simple. Easy to mount. Sturdy. +1 for the redneck engineering inner reinforcement. Door hinges seem like strong things. Made to hold a relatively heavy door through a bazillion cycles over a hundred years.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby jrsride2002 » February 12th 2015, 3:40am

Question:
Now that you have it finished. Would you recommend starting with the upper left mount point, or some other way of doing the process? Would there be something different/better you would do?

Not criticizing, just asking personal opinions. "In hindsight" kind of stuff,
~Junior
2001 RWD: E-Fan mod(Ford mystique/contour), 1" radiator swap , external trans AND oil coolers (2)Flex a lite 3826, firestone air bag helpers

2000 AWD: Offroad/camping Project
jrsride2002
Years of Membership: jrsride2002 has been a member for 11 full yearsjrsride2002 has been a member for 11 full yearsjrsride2002 has been a member for 11 full yearsjrsride2002 has been a member for 11 full yearsjrsride2002 has been a member for 11 full yearsjrsride2002 has been a member for 11 full yearsjrsride2002 has been a member for 11 full yearsjrsride2002 has been a member for 11 full yearsjrsride2002 has been a member for 11 full yearsjrsride2002 has been a member for 11 full yearsjrsride2002 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 37
Alias (AKA): Junior
Van Model Year: 2001
Extra Info: LS V6 RWD

Postby PPS [OP] » February 12th 2015, 3:51am

I feel that you almost have to start on the left side, but it could be top or bottom. You don't have much play because it has to fit between the hinges. You really don't have very many options, it pretty much has to be mounted like I did unless you modify it. I did realize later that you do not have to remove the speaker to do this installation...
Last edited by PPS on February 12th 2015, 2:34pm, edited 1 time in total.
1994 GMC Safari AWD
Original Poster [OP]
PPS
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)

Postby Meterpig » February 12th 2015, 4:15am

There was a post around here or the other site where someone bolted it right into the hinged of the door.

Meterpig

Postby pete98 » March 23rd 2015, 2:54pm

As far as mounting, my Surco is on a 99 astro (15 inch tires), and the spare just barely clears the bumper. I have a backup 2005 astro, and have a feeling if I were to mount the Surco the same way I did on the 99, the 16 inch tire would not clear the bumber. So you might want to consider tilting the Surco up a bit on the right hand side (by the door latch), just to make sure you have clearance, and for sure make sure you start as high as possible on the left hand side by the door hinge.

Also either double nut the tire holding bolts, or even better, put a small tack weld on them to the Surco. I went to take the spare off, and the carriage bolt started to spin.

See how you used a hinge on the inside. Might even suggest using grommets to help absorb some vibration where the unit bolts on by the door latch. My door cracked a little around the holes, and as the cracks got bigger, the vibration got worse and the cracks got even bigger. Eventually had to run the bolts all the way to the inside door panel. Granted, all this happened over the span of around 200k miles

pete98
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: pete98 has been a member for 5 full yearspete98 has been a member for 5 full yearspete98 has been a member for 5 full yearspete98 has been a member for 5 full yearspete98 has been a member for 5 full years
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1999
Extra Info: 543000 miles

Postby LangBirdy » September 14th 2020, 10:14pm

What size tire do you have mounted on there? I’m looking to mount my 28in full size spare on the back of my cargo van.
LangBirdy
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA): Lang
Extra Info: AWD Cargo Van

Postby Big_kid » September 15th 2020, 12:57am

The original poster hasn't been back since they made this post over 5 years ago. If I were to guess, that tire looks about stock size, 215-75-15. Someone else may have some insight though.

Welcome aboard!
95 Astro Conversion of unknown irrelevant lineage
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Big_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 185
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: 2WD 5.7 V8