gitt'n harder to find stock size boots

gitt'n harder to find stock size boots

Postby SoFar,EH [OP] » January 12th 2021, 4:01am

As I was tryin to find a supplier of new tires recently, most all of the tire shops I attempted to patronize kept commenting "if only I was lookin for 235's.... MUCH more available & more choices!" WTFlip?!! Seems like the auto mfgr's R deliberately moving away from 15 inch'rs. Planned obsolescence to eliminate our usage of these kinda rigs & force Joe Public to BUY NEW??? As a long time interested in streetrod's car guy, I'm aware that years back our gov't was tryin to quietly pass some very...... questionable (shady?) "laws"!! IE: the ONLY ppl who could go to wreckin yards were licensed practicing Journeyman Technicians &/or active businesses in the biz!!! NO mod's, alterations, changes, or otherwise changes to what came off of the mfgr's assembly lines, & more. Many of us auto enthusiasts that got wind of this petitioned as loudly as we could, & efforts to our political rep's were made!!! Whom knows what 'their' real agendas R down the road, but for now I want to attempt DOING a project literally B4 I die. A big bucket list priority for me here. Covid crap is already seeming to compromise things everywhere even more. :screaming: Sorry, did start out to only ask a Q..... climbed on a soap box & rant'd. My bad.
Original Poster [OP]
SoFar,EH
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Topics: 4
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 RWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Please help me find a rim and tire?
    by underhill » August 19th 2020, 12:11am in Wheels/Tires
    8 Replies
    Last post by dcsleeper View the latest post
    August 19th 2020, 6:14pm
  • Tire size
    by Obobo » September 14th 2020, 4:34pm in Wheels/Tires
    4 Replies
    Last post by SoFar,EH View the latest post
    January 12th 2021, 4:24am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    January 17th 2021, 8:00am

Re: gitt'n harder to find stock size boots

Postby SoFar,EH [OP] » January 12th 2021, 4:06am

Anyway..... because tires seem to be a royal pain to find in 225 sizes, AND the miserable experience of tryin to service/ R&R spark plugs, etc on motor; the notion of a body lift gets more & more intriguing to me. Every aftermarket, 4x4, custom, parts supply, etc... that I inquire from on doin this nets me zip zero for it to be possible!! Any steerage suggestions for me on these hurdles, people??
Original Poster [OP]
SoFar,EH
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Big_kid » January 12th 2021, 11:16am

I got mine on tirerack.com (I think), but that was 10 years ago. I don't know what they have these days.

I ran into the same thing looking for 225 770 14's for the Mazda. Selection in that size was VERY limited and expensive. We ended up with 25-75 14s on it. 14s are also a dying breed.
95 Astro Conversion of unknown irrelevant lineage
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Big_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 185
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 2WD 5.7 V8

Postby dcsleeper » January 12th 2021, 11:27am

I never liked the look of the stock size 215/70-16 on my 2004.
I usually play fast and loose with stock sizes on anything I drive.
225/70-16 was found for $250 a set, delivered. On ebay. They were also as big as would fit without a lift and no trimming. Some have said 235/70-16 will 'just' fit without minor rubbing. I don't believe it after seeing my 225s.
I've been shopping ALOT for tires lately.
Amazon, eBay, and Walmart are where the best deals are found.

I don't have an earlier Astro OR 15" wheels.
But I think 235/75-15s will fit.
$92 on Amazon, Goodyear Wrangler radials and a few other respected names.

discount tire has 100 bux off a set today.
Please update your User Control Panel to include your location!!! it's in the upper right!
Profile | Edit signature

ChevyMaher wrote:If you don't want people saying you suck, which is the truth, stop sucking
dcsleeper
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Topics: 19
Alias (AKA): DC
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: I have 2 1AWD 1RWD

Postby Toskavat » January 12th 2021, 2:23pm

Also be aware that some tires are directional, can only be used to turn in one direction. Can be rotated from front to back but not side to side. Will need to have a spare that is the same size but can be used on either side until the flat is fixed. Ask me how I know.
Toskavat
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: Toskavat has been a member for 5 full yearsToskavat has been a member for 5 full yearsToskavat has been a member for 5 full yearsToskavat has been a member for 5 full yearsToskavat has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA): ASTRORC
Van Model Year: 1999
Extra Info: 4.3 V6 2WD

Postby chevymaher » January 12th 2021, 5:42pm

Shop online at wal mart. They got mastercraft that are the best in the sizes the big chains are dropping. Order online and have them installed there.

Wal mart is changing. They got fenders type bodyparts. They are competing with Jegs and summit with hot rod stuff. They got boat parts. and they are stomping the prices of everyone else.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby SoFar,EH [OP] » January 12th 2021, 9:43pm

That all sounds good, ppl. R y'all Stateside & findin these thigs? Maybe it's characteristic of small town Wallyz & rural locale but my experiences haven't panned out too well from e-bay, amazon, & Walmart online. Over & over I get excited to find something w/puter ppl's help just to be told "won't ship to Cda", "only available continental USA", or only available USA. 1 of the worst was layin out almost $300 for a wiring kit for another dream; never to have it arrive from US & what an ordeal to get complaint acknowledged... & THEN try to get $ back. It was the worst & was "the straw" for me & online buying.
Original Poster [OP]
SoFar,EH
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Alias (AKA):