HOTROD STANCE FOR SAFARI

HOTROD STANCE FOR SAFARI

Postby tomas.hanba [OP] » February 19th 2018, 9:14pm

Hi,
I recently bought 04 Safari, very nice. But Im thinking about modify the stance a little. Maybe by putting wixer rear tires. To achieve a little hotrodded Chevy G10 looks.
Currently Im running 215/70/16 all around on 8" wheels from Tahoe. Does anyone have any experience or preferably photo?
Thank you very much!
Attachments
20180202_163738.jpg
Original Poster [OP]
tomas.hanba
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: tomas.hanba has been a member for 3 full yearstomas.hanba has been a member for 3 full yearstomas.hanba has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA): tomas.hanba
Van Model Year: 2004
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4.3 RWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • 99 safari bolt pattern
    by KreepWorld » December 31st 2020, 12:43am in Wheels/Tires
    2 Replies
    Last post by markmitch View the latest post
    December 31st 2020, 5:16am
  • Will 03 S 10 alloy rims fit on my 02 Safari
    by YORKSTER02 » February 6th 2021, 3:05am in Wheels/Tires
    5 Replies
    Last post by astroracer View the latest post
    February 6th 2021, 11:14pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    June 12th 2021, 10:06pm

Re: HOTROD STANCE FOR SAFARI

Postby Mmusicman » February 20th 2018, 1:46am

My 92 I'm running 215/60-15 on 8" rims front, and 295/50-15 on 10" rims rear.
Fat rear tires are essential (in my opinion) for the real hot-rod look... with slightly smaller tires in the front. A small amount of rake/stance is typical too.

The backspacing is close to centered both my front and rears. The rear is less than 1" from springs.
Getting the right backspacing is important, and could be tricky when going this wide.
I had to slightly modify the bottom of the sliding door to accommodate the wide rears.

I'm not into lowering, but I was forced to cut one front coil to give my van the rake/stance I want.. considering my rear springs are stock height and the front sat kind of high stock. I did not want to rear to look un-naturally high. For me it was a choice, either raise the back, or lower the front, or a small combination of both. Tire sizes will have some natural affect on the stance too. My small drop in front looks correct now.. and still with some fender clearance.

Of course, mine is a Gen1 shorty.. so it's not quite the same.
But I'd be curious to see a Gen2 with hotrod wheels and stance.

In your case, simply going a little bigger wider rear may be enough.
Minimal additional clearance can also be obtained (if needed) with lift shackles on the lowest setting.
That's how I corrected for my rear sagging springs.

(The photo in my avatar is with old sagging front springs that were replaced)

2000 Astro LS 4x4 | NP233 | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Cargo Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 74
Alias (AKA): Scott
Van Model Year: 2000
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 2000 4x4 - 92 V8-350

Postby markmitch » February 20th 2018, 6:03am

I too have a 1st gen shorty and I have 21570R15 front and 245/60R15 rear and the rear of my van I added steel leaf springs from a 200 (2nd gen) van to replace the stock warn out fiberglass springs. So my van has that rake with the front lower then the rear. Old school is cool!
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Teal Status (L7)
Teal Status (L7)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full years
Topics: 634
Alias (AKA): 1st gen or frankenvan
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS V8 AWD

Postby Astrorsss355 » May 8th 2018, 10:59pm

I have the rear bumper for sale
Attachments
IMG_20180427_190014.jpg
235 fronts
IMG_20180427_124446.jpg
275 rears had to trim fender van has 3inch DJM LOWERING KIT
Astrorsss355
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: Astrorsss355 has been a member for 3 full yearsAstrorsss355 has been a member for 3 full yearsAstrorsss355 has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: SS 355 SBC

Postby Mr_Roboto » October 31st 2018, 6:06am

Mmusicman wrote:My 92 I'm running 215/60-15 on 8" rims front, and 295/50-15 on 10" rims rear.
Fat rear tires are essential (in my opinion) for the real hot-rod look... with slightly smaller tires in the front. A small amount of rake/stance is typical too.

The backspacing is close to centered both my front and rears. The rear is less than 1" from springs.
Getting the right backspacing is important, and could be tricky when going this wide.
I had to slightly modify the bottom of the sliding door to accommodate the wide rears.

I'm not into lowering, but I was forced to cut one front coil to give my van the rake/stance I want.. considering my rear springs are stock height and the front sat kind of high stock. I did not want to rear to look un-naturally high. For me it was a choice, either raise the back, or lower the front, or a small combination of both. Tire sizes will have some natural affect on the stance too. My small drop in front looks correct now.. and still with some fender clearance.

Of course, mine is a Gen1 shorty.. so it's not quite the same.
But I'd be curious to see a Gen2 with hotrod wheels and stance.

In your case, simply going a little bigger wider rear may be enough.
Minimal additional clearance can also be obtained (if needed) with lift shackles on the lowest setting.
That's how I corrected for my rear sagging springs.

(The photo in my avatar is with old sagging front springs that were replaced)

What's the backspace of your rims? I got some 5.5BS 15X10s and I'm trying to figure out if they'll fit in the back.
Mr_Roboto
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L2)
Years of Membership: Mr_Roboto has been a member for 13 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 13 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 13 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 13 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 13 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 13 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 13 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 13 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 13 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 13 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 13 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 13 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 13 full years
Topics: 53
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: Heavily modified 383

Postby chevymaher » October 31st 2018, 11:19am

I use 295/50/15 all the way around.

P_20170217_124301.jpg
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 91
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby Mmusicman » October 31st 2018, 12:37pm

Mr_Roboto wrote:What's the backspace of your rims? I got some 5.5BS 15X10s and I'm trying to figure out if they'll fit in the back.

If I remember correctly, I think mine are 4-7/8" backspace on 10" rims. Fitment is somewhat critical.. tire is less than an inch from the spring and door needs to be modified for tire rub. Not much room to go either way.. I got lucky. Tire size effects results as well.
2000 Astro LS 4x4 | NP233 | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Cargo Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 74
Alias (AKA): Scott
Extra Info: 2000 4x4 - 92 V8-350

Postby Mr_Roboto » October 31st 2018, 3:20pm

What are you running on the backs? I have 275-60-15s if I remember correctly that I'm going to test fit (drag radials.) These wheels have 5.5BS and seem like they'll work well based on measurements I took.

Future wise, I've thought about moving springs in wards. I don't even know if that will be a requirement looking at this. I mean, it looks like it will fit a 10.5" slick just fine if I'm comfortable with it sticking out the fender well a bit. I may need some form of travel limiter and/or to roll the fenders but not much else far as I can tell. Obviously I dn't have much intention of doing this with a stock 7.5 diff. I suspect that would last say one to three decent launches.

I know when I had 29" tires on it (235 75R15s) on a 7.5" Ford wheel with the 9" they'd rub. The axle wasn't done well as it could be though, so I think I can remediate that even. That said I intend on running 28" tires in the back if possible.
Mr_Roboto
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: Mr_Roboto has been a member for 13 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 13 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 13 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 13 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 13 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 13 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 13 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 13 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 13 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 13 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 13 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 13 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 13 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Mr_Roboto » October 31st 2018, 11:37pm

IMG_20181031_164230029.jpg

Just posting these up.
Mr_Roboto
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Alias (AKA):

Postby 90safari » November 8th 2018, 7:52am

I don't know about "hot rod stance", but I'm running 255-60-15's on stock GM truck rims. No rubbing, and it clears the sliding door very well. Here's a pic of mine.
I've got a set of running boards that make the van seem lower, but it's at stock height. It's an 88 first gen shorty window van.
Bob 88 Astro cs and Sue 90 Safari
90safari
Years of Membership: 90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 5
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1990
Extra Info: plus an 88 Astro

Postby Vanalam » November 10th 2018, 3:16pm

chevymaher wrote:I use 295/50/15 all the way around.

P_20170217_124301.jpg

What is the spec on your rims as far as offset and width go? I'm looking to stack up a similar look.
Vanalam
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: Vanalam has been a member for 2 full yearsVanalam has been a member for 2 full years
Alias (AKA): Billy
Extra Info: SEL 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby MI_Ghost » November 10th 2018, 3:21pm

Mr_Roboto wrote:What's the backspace of your rims? I got some 5.5BS 15X10s and I'm trying to figure out if they'll fit in the back.

Those would be a 0 offset wheel and should fit with a 295/50-15.
They will leaving about 1/4" clearance on the steel leaf spring, but will rub on the wider fiberglass spring. Easily corrected with a 5mm wheel spacer.
Rolling the fender lip will give you the clearance need on the outside.

Don't knock that 7" to hard. It survives the abuse of the V8 Camaro & Trans Am. The weak spot is the carrier which is easily upgraded with the torsen from the camaro/trans am. Add a set of forged shafts and it should handle some good launches. Make sure you have the axle wrap and wheel bounce under control. That is what breaks the axles.

Factory wheel track is 77" with a 5mm offset wheel.
~Ghost
Ast' Cargo: 2001 Astro Cargo
Beauty: 2009 Impala LT
https://www.astrosafari.com/gallery/sea ... r_id=66010
MI_Ghost
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: MI_Ghost has been a member for 5 full yearsMI_Ghost has been a member for 5 full yearsMI_Ghost has been a member for 5 full yearsMI_Ghost has been a member for 5 full yearsMI_Ghost has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 9
Alias (AKA): Ghost
Van Model Year: 2001
Extra Info: Big White RWD Box

Postby chevymaher » November 10th 2018, 3:27pm

Vanalam wrote:
chevymaher wrote:I use 295/50/15 all the way around.

P_20170217_124301.jpg

What is the spec on your rims as far as offset and width go? I'm looking to stack up a similar look.

Off set I dont know they came on the van new. I had the build sheet they were special ordered. I imagine they are just actual truck/pickup rims from that year (94).

The width measured correctly is 7.38 inch bead to bead.

Slider opens perfectly. Tires barely hit the sway bar full cut. Your not getting any more tire under the front that is for sure.

4rth set of tires and 3rd brand of tires. so with the right rims they all fit.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 91
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby Slime » June 30th 2019, 4:10pm

What would have been the stock wheel and tire size on a 1989 Astro cargo van? I have Boyds 15x8 rims now, but may want something else.
Slime
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Years of Membership: Slime has been a member for 3 full yearsSlime has been a member for 3 full yearsSlime has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 17
Alias (AKA): slime
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: Custom Cargo

Postby SheldonYoung » June 30th 2019, 4:58pm

4" Drop Spindles
4" Lowering Leaf Springs
18" Ridlers
Attachments
IMG_0726.JPG
'97 Astro (AstroSurf)
'05 Astro
'00 Astro (Woodie)
'01 Safari (Surfari)
SheldonYoung
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: SheldonYoung has been a member for 2 full yearsSheldonYoung has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 12
Alias (AKA): FrankenRodz
Van Model Year: 2001

Postby knitram » June 6th 2021, 1:31am

@mmusicman how did you modify your sliding door to accommodate the 10” wheel? I’ve been told I can make the middle/rear roller bracket longer...but it just seems doing so will inevitably change the way that bracket tucks away on close.
Attachments
644F7707-4ACC-4201-8D8D-A222C514EB75.jpeg
Middle rear sliding door bracket
knitram
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 4.3L EXT RWD Tiara