New American Racing wheels!

New American Racing wheels!

Postby babblefish [OP] » May 27th 2017, 12:37am

Just got my new American Racing Torque Thrust II wheels from JEGS today. They're 16x7 with a 4" backspacing, 0.50" more than stock. The offset is "0" and the center bore starts out at 83.06mm for 14mm and then 77mm the rest of the way though. One of the nice things about these wheels is that the center cap is polished aluminum, and not cheap plastic.
Also got McGard wheel locks and metal air valves. Just waiting for the lug nuts.

As for tires, I want Michelin, but can't really afford them right now so will settle on a set of BFG Advantage T/A Sport in a 235/65R16. These have the same outer diameter (28") as the stock tires on the van now, 235/70R15. I did a GPS speed check and with this diameter tire, the speedo is spot on.

I don't know what it is, but getting new wheels and tires is always an exciting thing for me.:)

Anyone in the San Francisco Bay Area that needs a set of stock 15x6.5" wheels, PM me. They're in good shape with no curb rash and just have some brake dust staining.
Attachments
IMG_6253.JPG
IMG_6254.JPG
Last edited by babblefish on May 27th 2017, 3:32pm, edited 1 time in total.
Original Poster [OP]
babblefish
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: babblefish has been a member for 3 full yearsbabblefish has been a member for 3 full yearsbabblefish has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 10
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4.3L automatic RWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Help with 17” wheels
    by greenvan02 » October 9th 2020, 11:29pm in Wheels/Tires
    1 Replies
    Last post by backinabox View the latest post
    October 10th 2020, 4:01am
  • Will 9 wide wheels fit?
    by GutchDuts » December 12th 2020, 9:28pm in Wheels/Tires
    15 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    December 16th 2020, 4:08am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    February 28th 2021, 4:45pm

Re: New American Racing wheels!

Postby 1lowcab » May 27th 2017, 1:02am

Awesome, good choice on rims. :thumbup:

Getting new rims is always exciting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1lowcab
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: 1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 58
Alias (AKA):

Postby dramey » May 27th 2017, 4:23am

Those are some of the better looking wheels I have seen in a while.
dramey
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: dramey has been a member for 4 full yearsdramey has been a member for 4 full yearsdramey has been a member for 4 full yearsdramey has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: AWD Cargo Van

Postby babblefish [OP] » May 27th 2017, 8:19am

They're patterned after the original American Racing Torque Thrust wheel that was first introduced in 1963. Since I grew up in the 60s and 70s muscle car era, I have a great fondness for the clean simplicity of this wheel.
Original Poster [OP]
babblefish
Years of Membership: babblefish has been a member for 3 full yearsbabblefish has been a member for 3 full yearsbabblefish has been a member for 3 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby chevymaher » May 27th 2017, 10:27am

Never let anyone but you put those locks on. I just went through that on a lexus. Somebody over tightened them. It was eating the lock keys trying to get them off. Stripped it off. I had her get a new key it stripped off first wheel. They are a pain to get off without a key to.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby Astrofarian » May 27th 2017, 12:34pm

Absolutely LOVE the "old school" look of a classic 5-spoke mag wheel. And, EVERYTHING Randy said above about the locking nuts is advice to be heeded but I get the impression that you've been at the car/van thing long enough to already have thought along those lines anyway.
You used the term "stock" tires in reference to 235's; I thought 215 was the "factory-stock" tire size on these things?
I bet you can't WAIT to see these on the van! I know I want to see them! lol...
-M!ke-
Move along....all is well.....return to your homes.....nothing to see here.
Astrofarian
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Astrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA): M!ke
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: Someday......

Postby WoodButcher » May 27th 2017, 1:38pm

What size is the center bore?
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 30
Alias (AKA): Bruce
Van Model Year: 1993
Extra Info: 5.7L RWD

Postby babblefish [OP] » May 27th 2017, 3:29pm

WoodButcher wrote:What size is the center bore?

The center bore is stepped. It starts out (from the back side) at 83.06mm(3.27") for 14mm(0.55") deep then becomes 77mm(3.03") the rest of the way through to the front.
Original Poster [OP]
babblefish
Alias (AKA):

Postby babblefish [OP] » May 27th 2017, 3:40pm

Astrofarian wrote:Absolutely LOVE the "old school" look of a classic 5-spoke mag wheel. And, EVERYTHING Randy said above about the locking nuts is advice to be heeded but I get the impression that you've been at the car/van thing long enough to already have thought along those lines anyway.
You used the term "stock" tires in reference to 235's; I thought 215 was the "factory-stock" tire size on these things?
I bet you can't WAIT to see these on the van! I know I want to see them! lol...
-M!ke-

I probably shouldn't have used the term "stock" for the tire size - 235's were a factory (dealer?) option back in 1997 and that's what was on my van when I bought it. It does come up as a "factory option" when looking up tires on TireRack though. Unfortunately, 235/70R15 are no longer available, at least not through TireRack, hence the switch to 16" wheels.

And thanks for the warning about the wheel locks, I'll be sure to remind the installer to use a torque wrench on them rather than an impact driver. Yes, I have tried removing these things without the proper key. Can't remember if I was successful or not, it's been awhile...

Oh yes! I am anxious to see them on my van and will definitely post pictures once on. I need to premount them first to make sure they fit and clear what they need to clear before getting the tires.
Original Poster [OP]
babblefish
Alias (AKA):

Postby ironhead79 » May 29th 2017, 1:10pm

1lowcab wrote:Awesome, good choice on rims. :thumbup:

Getting new rims is always exciting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Agreed, your gonna have some smiles per gallon!!!
ironhead79
Years of Membership: ironhead79 has been a member for 5 full yearsironhead79 has been a member for 5 full yearsironhead79 has been a member for 5 full yearsironhead79 has been a member for 5 full yearsironhead79 has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 9
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: ls 2wd

Postby WoodButcher » May 29th 2017, 2:09pm

babblefish wrote: I'll be sure to remind the installer to use a torque wrench on them rather than an impact driver.

:lol:
:poke:
:rofl:
Unless you have a mom n' pop shop you won't likely find an "installer" that knows what a torque wrench is,,,
never mind how to use it.

You go to a big box store where the manager whose qualifications are sleeping at a Holiday Inn one night and the guy changing tires is working his was through school, English as a second language.
And this is what they will use on your new rims,
https://www.amazon.com/Capri-Tools-3008 ... +extension

Who'da thunk it, your installer has been going to night school for three years and he's still colorblind and can't understand English when you ask about the crushed rocker panels and all the lugs being torqued to 140 lbs. :shrug:
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full years

Postby markmitch » May 29th 2017, 5:36pm

Nice wheels just curious why you prefer michelin tires? I used to work for a tire shop years back and michelins were known for ripping side walls when removed for flat repairs due to there super soft sidewalls that were originally designed to ride nicer but was a trade off for reliability. Of course that was 20 years ago but personally I would not buy because of that. I like Hercules tires myself. Mark
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 626
Alias (AKA): 1st gen or frankenvan
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS V8 AWD

Postby AstroWill » May 29th 2017, 11:55pm

WoodButcher wrote:
babblefish wrote: I'll be sure to remind the installer to use a torque wrench on them rather than an impact driver.

:lol:
:poke:
Unless you have a mom n' pop shop you won't likely find an "installer" that knows what a torque wrench is,,,
never mind how to use it.

Even Walmart uses a torque wrench every time when installing wheels.

WoodButcher wrote:And this is what they will use on your new rims,
https://www.amazon.com/Capri-Tools-3008 ... 015NI2NP8/

When accurate torque is not applied to bolts and nuts, they wear out quickly and can cause failure. This means losing a wheel or your engine falling apart on the way to work, which can result in devastating consequences.

ROFL, gotta love 'scare tactics', oh nooooz my engine is going to fall apart on the way to work.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby chevymaher » May 30th 2017, 1:11am

No actually over tightening stretches the bolt. Past its yield point and into the plastic range. At this point the fastener will no longer return to its original size. It looses its clamping force and continues to stretch. Until it breaks eventually.

That is why rods break in engines they pass the point of return due to the piston changing directions and momentum at high RPM. Then they are fatigued crack and break. The proverbial rod knock that is going to be a thrown rod soon.

That is why on the instructions assembling things it is to a torque range. Where the bolt has maximum clamping force. Not tighten till it strips and back it off a half turn.

I have worked in many garages. Clowns who run their mouth and know it all. Always use the impact to put on tires. Nobody is torquing them unless they are being watched.

Engines don't blow up and wheels never fall off no matter how you do it is the argument here. Think about that.

Now everybody google it and prove this wrong. Because you sure haven't dealt with this stuff with experience if your saying it.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years

Postby AstroWill » May 30th 2017, 1:17am

chevymaher wrote:No actually over tightening stretches the bolt. Past its yield point and into the plastic range. At this point the fastener will no longer return to its original size. It looses its clamping force and continues to stretch. Until it breaks eventually.

That is why rods break in engines they pass the point of return due to the piston changing directions and momentum at high RPM. Then they are fatigued crack and break. The proverbial rod knock that is going to be a thrown rod soon.

That is why on the instructions assembling things it is to a torque range. Where the bolt has maximum clamping force. Not tighten till it strips and back it off a half turn.

I have worked in many garages. Clowns who run their mouth and know it all. Always use the impact to put on tires. Nobody is torquing them unless they are being watched.

Engines don't blow up and wheels never fall off no matter how you do it is the argument here. Think about that.

Now everybody google it and prove this wrong. Because you sure haven't dealt with this stuff with experience if your saying it.

Was there an argument here?

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years

Postby chevymaher » May 30th 2017, 1:22am

Never know. Always seems to be.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader

Postby WoodButcher » May 30th 2017, 1:33am

Hey! hey! NO arguments!!!
I'll call a mod :roll:

Mom...

I would hope the box stores have gotten better but I don't know.
I saw the guy at sears lift my '97 by the rockers on camera but by the time I could get to him the damage was done.
I would have demanded the tires for free but they were already mine. I was getting tires balanced and swapped onto the truck, asshats.
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby AstroWill » May 30th 2017, 1:37am

chevymaher wrote:Never know. Always seems to be.

I guess I missed the part where someone disagreed with torquing lug nuts.

WoodButcher wrote:Hey! hey! NO arguments!!!
I'll call a mod :roll:

Mom...

WoodButcher wrote:I would hope the box stores have gotten better but I don't know.
I saw the guy at sears lift my '97 by the rockers on camera but by the time I could get to him the damage was done.
I would have demanded the tires for free but they were already mine. I was getting tires balanced and swapped onto the truck, asshats.

WM uses a torque wrench on my wheels every time I go. Every ~7,000 miles they do it twice, once when they put them on the vehicle after balancing/rotating, and then again after they go do some figure 8s in the lot.

But that is just my personal experience, and one of the reasons I always get my tires mounted at WM even if I buy them elsewhere. The other reason is because they have locations virtually everywhere I travel.

AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby 1lowcab » May 30th 2017, 2:47am

Don't use the walmart around here...they will put you rims on with a crescent wrench.
I wouldn't trust a walmart, they tend not to hire the cream of the crop.
1lowcab
Years of Membership: 1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 58
Alias (AKA):

Postby babblefish [OP] » May 30th 2017, 6:55am

markmitch wrote:Nice wheels just curious why you prefer michelin tires? I used to work for a tire shop years back and michelins were known for ripping side walls when removed for flat repairs due to there super soft sidewalls that were originally designed to ride nicer but was a trade off for reliability. Of course that was 20 years ago but personally I would not buy because of that. I like Hercules tires myself. Mark

I've been using Michelin for many years and never had a problem with them. I like how quiet they are, their wet and dry weather handling, and the amount of life I get out of them. I've tried Firestone, Goodyear, BFG, and others I can't remember, but prefer the Michelins for all the above reasons. Though not as important for my van, the most important thing for me is how does a tire handle in fast corners and quick transitions under all conditions. I value handling more than tire life, and Michelin is the best out of any other tire I've used. There are different models of Michelin, so maybe some are better than others, I don't know. For my Jeep though, I like BFG All Terrains and their Mud & Snow tires for their durable sidewalls (6-ply) and off-road performance.
I've never heard of Hercules tires before, maybe they're not sold around these parts.
Original Poster [OP]
babblefish
Alias (AKA):

Next