Choosing between 255 and 265 tires - it's complicated

Choosing between 255 and 265 tires - it's complicated

Postby gavio [OP] » December 4th 2018, 9:25pm

Hi all:

I'm curious your thoughts about this tire size choice. I'm going to get Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws to replace my worn down BFG KOs..... My current size is 255/70/16 and I have zero rubbing issues..... I picked the Falkens because I basically couldn't find any and reviews of them on any forum, and they are way less expensive than Big KO2s......

The AT3Ws in the sizes I'm looking at are not LT tires..... I looked into it, and the construction of them includes two ply sidewalls that are folded over themselves to give the strength of a 4 ply sidewall, so I'm not too worried about the P rating on a small van like an Astro....

Here's the deal: The 255 size carry an XL (extra load) ply rating, and have the same 115 load index and max weight (2640 lbs or so) as my load range D BFGs..... The 265 size carry an SL (standard load) ply rating and a 112 load index, max weight 2460 lbs.....I talked to a Fallen tech, who assured me that they have the same construction, just the 255 has some reinforcement.... The 265s run the same revolutions per mile as my current 255s, while the 255s run a bit higher.....

Why am I interested in the 265s? Honestly, I think it would look better, plus I like the idea of an expanded contact patch on soft ground.....

Why am I interested in the 255s? The extra load rating and no risk of gaining any new rubbing issues, plus they are a couple pounds lighter.... I'm also worried about if the 265s will be more vulnerable in offroad situations -

The differences aren't huge, so there's not all that much at stake, but I'm curious how others might make this choice.....
2004 Safari, 4 inch lift, NP-231 t-case, 255/70/16 BFGs, home-brewed pop top, full camper, on-board propane, lions and tigers and bears, oh my.....
Original Poster [OP]
gavio
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: gavio has been a member for 8 full yearsgavio has been a member for 8 full yearsgavio has been a member for 8 full yearsgavio has been a member for 8 full yearsgavio has been a member for 8 full yearsgavio has been a member for 8 full yearsgavio has been a member for 8 full yearsgavio has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 77
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • what brand tires do you prefer and why
    by markmitchmarkmitch is online! » December 29th 2020, 9:00pm in Wheels/Tires
    5 Replies
    Last post by sixsix View the latest post
    December 30th 2020, 3:26pm
  • Ready too choose new tires, which size?
    by copperhead » November 24th 2020, 1:23am in Wheels/Tires
    1 Replies
    Last post by TBLBill View the latest post
    December 4th 2020, 1:27pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    April 14th 2021, 3:25am

Re: Choosing between 255 and 265 tires - it's complicated

Postby TurnNburn » December 4th 2018, 10:01pm

With the magic of the internet, you can have a set of 4(preferably 5) tires of any brand, style or size shipped to your door. So there really isn't an excuse to pick a unknown tire with no reviews to put on a rig you live out of.

assuming the other measurements of your tires remain the same, the 255s are basically a 30x10 and the 265s are basically a 31x10.5

I would expect you to gain some rubbing with the inch taller tire with only a 4 inch lift

if you are worried about off road "ruggedness" then I would go with the tire rated with a better sidewall. I don't care what the falken tech said, if they were the "basically the same"(with air quotes), they would be rated the same(without air quotes).

I personally wouldn't trust a P rated tire on any of my vans offroad as far as I could roll it, been there, done that.

In the end, whats a few bucks? Best case scenario is you spend some time changing tires on the side of the road if you lucky, offroad in the middle of nowhere if you are not. Worse case scenario you end up having to patch and then replace tires that aren't up for the job, get frustrated, and then end up buying a set of 4 (preferably 5) of the tires you should have bought from the begining :2:

Ask me how I know :whistle:
2000 Astro- Camperized, bumpers, lifted, LS 5.3 V8, 4x4 T-case, Truetrac rear locker, 31x10.5x15 BFG KO2's
"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes"
Build thread- https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?t=103066"
TurnNburn
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Green Status (L4)
Green Status (L4)
Years of Membership: TurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): iGoogle
Van Model Year: 2000
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 5.3 4x4 Overlander

Postby Mmusicman » December 4th 2018, 10:36pm

I would agree with this...
TurnNburn wrote:I would expect you to gain some rubbing with the inch taller tire with only a 4 inch lift

and this...
I personally wouldn't trust a P rated tire on any of my vans offroad as far as I could roll it, been there, done that.

It is mostly ironic when you buy larger off-road tires that rub when you use them off-road.
Nothing sucks worse. 31's are a bit excessive with the Astro.. even with a lot of lift.

I also strongly agree that stronger sidewalls are important for any off-roading.
2000 Astro LS 4x4 | NP233 | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Cargo Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 73
Alias (AKA): Scott
Extra Info: 2000 4x4 - 92 V8-350

Postby gavio [OP] » December 5th 2018, 2:09am

Thanks, I've been leaning towards the 255s for the reasons y'all gave.... The actually difference in size to the 265s is only .5 inches in both diameter and width, but yeah there certainly is the possibility of new rubbing issues....

I want clarify that I said I couldn't find any BAD reviews of the Falken tires , not that there aren't any reviews..... They have many hundreds of reviews and have overall review ratings higher than the BFGs - which is why I was considering them in the first place......

Then I found out how much less they cost, which was like a bonus.....
2004 Safari, 4 inch lift, NP-231 t-case, 255/70/16 BFGs, home-brewed pop top, full camper, on-board propane, lions and tigers and bears, oh my.....
Original Poster [OP]
gavio
Years of Membership: gavio has been a member for 8 full yearsgavio has been a member for 8 full yearsgavio has been a member for 8 full yearsgavio has been a member for 8 full yearsgavio has been a member for 8 full yearsgavio has been a member for 8 full yearsgavio has been a member for 8 full yearsgavio has been a member for 8 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Meterpig » December 5th 2018, 5:13am

I am continually amazed that BFG still passes off the KO's as anything other than relics. There are much, better tires out there.

P rated tires are for cars and soccer mom mobiles. The main advantage of LT rated tires is that you can actually haul something and you can run them at a much lower PSI. Plus, they last the actual mileage rating on the tire if not longer.

Also, it's better to buy something that is actually warranteed by the shop. Big Foot Big O tires come to mind. Yes, I have them. Yes they are amazing and yes, Big O actually warranties them.
How many sensors, fuses or computers does a Bw4472 need? Zero.

1999-2005 FSM PDF (Torrent) https://www.thepiratebay.org/torrent/30867489/astro_safari_van_fsm_factory_service_manaul

2004 Astro-https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-F7bd6R/
Meterpig
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: Meterpig has been a member for 6 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 6 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 6 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 6 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 6 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 63
Alias (AKA): meterpig
Van Model Year: 2002
Extra Info: Not a minivan

Postby dramey » December 5th 2018, 10:48pm

Which tires are better than the BFG? When I wear down the Uniroyal tires (has to be the worst tires made) on my van, I was going to replace them with BFG's. If there are better tires out there now, I would be interested in the make and model and hopefully they are available in Alaska.
dramey
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: dramey has been a member for 4 full yearsdramey has been a member for 4 full yearsdramey has been a member for 4 full yearsdramey has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: AWD Cargo Van

Postby CopperFiremistCopperFiremist is online! » December 5th 2018, 10:54pm

Falken tires are utter crap IMO. I had a tire few months ago lose half its tread like Semi truck tire retread. :2:
Pullin The Pass
CopperFiremistCopperFiremist is online!
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L2)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L2)
Years of Membership: CopperFiremist has been a member for 6 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 6 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 6 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 6 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 6 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 25
Alias (AKA): B
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: LS Swap

Postby TurnNburn » December 5th 2018, 11:06pm

Are we talking about the OG KO's? or the beefed up K02's? Similar but very different tires
2000 Astro- Camperized, bumpers, lifted, LS 5.3 V8, 4x4 T-case, Truetrac rear locker, 31x10.5x15 BFG KO2's
TurnNburn
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Green Status (L4)
Green Status (L4)
Years of Membership: TurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full years

Postby Rockridge » December 6th 2018, 1:01am

the only BFG's I've ever run were on my 04 Gmc Sierra 2500. I was not particularly impressed. Not good at all in snow, and I feel like they wore out pretty quick, and I dont really do any heavy hauling, towing or tearing around..
Rockridge
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Rockridge has been a member for 4 full yearsRockridge has been a member for 4 full yearsRockridge has been a member for 4 full yearsRockridge has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 50
Alias (AKA): Walker
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby Leeann_93 » December 6th 2018, 1:45am

My '90 Dodge B250 van came with BFGs. They absolutely sucked: no wet traction whatsoever and worse gas mileage than any other tire. Not to mention they dry-rotted in less than 3 years from the manufacture date and chunks came off them randomly, for no reason I could determine.

Replaced them with Bridgestones that were light years better in every way.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005

Postby gavio [OP] » December 6th 2018, 5:40pm

If there are better tires out there now, I would be interested in the make and model and hopefully they are available in Alaska.

I looked into this quite a bit, and there doesn't seem to be much that inflames opinions more than tires, for whatever reason.... That said, there are a number of tires that seem to come up often in the top few all terrain tires, both in various consumer tests, magazine reviews, and actual user reviews..... I'm not making any claims one way or the other, just reporting what I saw.... Poke around a bit and see what you come up with, it might be different....

Not in any particular order:

BFG KO2, of course
Toyo OC AT2
Nitto Grappler G2
Falken Wildpeak AT3W
General Grabber AT2
Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10
Goodyear Duratrac
Cooper ST MAXX

All of them have at least one bad review (so bad they ruined my paint job and made me take drugs) and one rave review (so amazing it even cooks dinner) and then a bunch in the middle. Ultimately, tire life and performance have as much to with how and where you drive as anything else.....

Some complaints I recall reading often enough for it to stay in my mind:

BFGs are rubbish in the rain
Grabbers have weak sidewalls
Duratracs also weak sidewalls
St MAXXs are insanely heavy
There's some common complaint about the Dynapros, but I don't remember it

Not a complaint as such, but the Grappler G2 are only available for wheel sizes 17 inch and over

No, I can't point to any one place I read any one thing, and I'm not claiming any of the above is true or not.... Point though, is that there is no reason to assume BFG KO2 is the only tire worth buying, or even that it's "the best".... It's best for some, not for others.....

Do your research, make your choice, see what happens....

Oh, and this is the second time I've had BFG KOs, and both sets dry rotted.... I don't know about the KO2s, though...
Original Poster [OP]
gavio
Alias (AKA):

Postby Rockridge » December 7th 2018, 10:05pm

I want to say I only got about 3years 30K out of my bfg's.

So far I'm happy with my Kuhmo Road Venture's
Rockridge
Years of Membership: Rockridge has been a member for 4 full yearsRockridge has been a member for 4 full yearsRockridge has been a member for 4 full yearsRockridge has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 50
Alias (AKA): Walker

Postby TurnNburn » December 10th 2018, 6:40pm

im just going to put this riiiiiight here... (notice the punctured sidewall at the 12 o clock position)

Last edited by TurnNburn on December 10th 2018, 7:51pm, edited 1 time in total.
TurnNburn
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Green Status (L4)
Green Status (L4)

Postby nonhog » December 10th 2018, 7:48pm

I had terrible and great luck with the same brand but
very different model tires.
The General tires Chevy put on my 08 Silverado were garbage. Scary/Dangerous in rain/snow/ice.
The General Altimax were awesome.
Point being, tires vary greatly even within the manufacturer.
Recovering hoarder
My Slow build..... viewtopic.php?f=127&t=107426
nonhog
Years of Membership: nonhog has been a member for 4 full yearsnonhog has been a member for 4 full yearsnonhog has been a member for 4 full yearsnonhog has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 37
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1996