Tire chains on rear

Tire chains on rear

Postby greenvan02 [OP] » November 28th 2020, 10:27pm

Just lifted van 3”. Looking at the plastic cladding on the rear it still looks like chains are going to be a flail mower in the rear Wheel well with 30” BFG’s. Has anyone ran chains on rear with this setup? And or has anyone had luck removing the cladding and not having it look bad?

In the state of Oregon if you are towing a trailer with brakes then the tow vehicle must have chains on one axle regardless of traction tires or AWD/4x4. I know this due to the ticket I got.

Thanks, Z
Attachments
EEF4C3DD-45EB-457F-A391-ECD22A80CFCA.jpeg
Original Poster [OP]
greenvan02
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2002
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 4.3 AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Snow Chains on Front Wheels
    by jimi_lee » January 7th 2021, 7:08pm in Wheels/Tires
    1 Replies
    Last post by tungtide View the latest post
    January 7th 2021, 8:29pm
  • Tire size
    by Obobo » September 14th 2020, 4:34pm in Wheels/Tires
    5 Replies
    Last post by Ray M View the latest post
    January 26th 2021, 12:35am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    March 6th 2021, 11:45am

Re: Tire chains on rear

Postby Rod's Trucks » November 28th 2020, 10:46pm

One thing to consider:
Your AWD willNot be happywith chains on only one axle. :crying:

As for the cladding removal; I have done it ( on my green van).
It is a fair amount of work, but if you have no hidden rust, it should come out just fine.
The 3M 'eraser' wheel works well to get the adhesive tape off, but there is a bit of a learning curve. This is the only significant damage I did, when I was not paying attention to the wheel speed and rate at which I was moving.
It didn't look too bad after a little touch-up. I bought a spray can of matching touch-up paint from an on-line supplier, but have only used the brush variety so far.

Rod J
Issaquah, WA
Rod's Trucks
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Rod's Trucks has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 32
Alias (AKA): Rod and/or WE7X
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: Forest Green LS AWD

Postby Rockridge » November 28th 2020, 11:30pm

I had to run chains last winter twice. Driveway turned into a luge run after a big freezing rain storm. Only needed them to get down the hill. Did not have an issue with the chains hitting the fenders running 235-70-16 with a 3" lift. S10 Hd rear springs.
Rockridge
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Rockridge has been a member for 4 full yearsRockridge has been a member for 4 full yearsRockridge has been a member for 4 full yearsRockridge has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 49
Alias (AKA): Walker
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby Rod's Trucks » November 29th 2020, 5:33am

Greenvan was mentioning the requirement for chains on at least one axle, when towing a trailer over the mountain passes in Oregon. That implies some speed and along drive.
Just trying to get up or down an icy driveway is a much different scenario, and I would not hesitate to put the chains on for that, if needed.
Rod J
Rod's Trucks
Years of Membership: Rod's Trucks has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 32
Alias (AKA): Rod and/or WE7X
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: Forest Green LS AWD

Postby greenvan02 [OP] » November 29th 2020, 5:37am

Yes I need to be able to do up to 35mph
Original Poster [OP]
greenvan02
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2002
Extra Info: 4.3 AWD

Postby Rockridge » November 29th 2020, 3:32pm

Spike spiders?
Rockridge
Years of Membership: Rockridge has been a member for 4 full yearsRockridge has been a member for 4 full yearsRockridge has been a member for 4 full yearsRockridge has been a member for 4 full years

Postby Rockridge » November 29th 2020, 3:39pm

Rod's Trucks wrote:Greenvan was mentioning the requirement for chains on at least one axle, when towing a trailer over the mountain passes in Oregon. That implies some speed and along drive.
Just trying to get up or down an icy driveway is a much different scenario, and I would not hesitate to put the chains on for that, if needed.
Rod J

Just offering what insight I can. Sorry it did not meet all specific criteria.
Rockridge

Postby Rockridge » February 20th 2021, 1:52am

greenvan02 wrote:Yes I need to be able to do up to 35mph

Did you come up with a solution?
Rockridge

Postby AstroWill » February 20th 2021, 3:00am

greenvan02 wrote:In the state of Oregon if you are towing a trailer with brakes then the tow vehicle must have chains on one axle regardless of traction tires or AWD/4x4. I know this due to the ticket I got.

Seems like pretty common sense chain laws. The towing vehicle primary drive wheels have to have chains when required as well as at least one axle on the trailer if the trailer has brakes. Sucks to find out with a ticket though.
This made me look at: https://tripcheck.com/Pages/Minimum-Chain-Requirements
In typical winter conditions, vehicles rated at 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight (GVW) or less and not towing or being towed are allowed to use traction tires in place of chains.

Which linked to: https://tripcheck.com/Pages/Traction-Tires
"Retractable studded tires" are tires with embedded studs that retract to at or below the wear bar of the tire and project not less than .04 inch beyond the tread surface of the tire when extended.

How freaking cool would that be, would love to have something like that. Looks like a company called Q-Tires at least advertised that they were making such a tire that used tire pressure to deploy the studs on demand, but it never came to life. https://auto.howstuffworks.com/q-tire.htm

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby markmitch » February 20th 2021, 3:05am

Since I moved to California I hear about laws pertaining to tire chains yet I grew up in Maine and lived there for many years as an adult and the only people I had ever seen using tire chains was the US post office. Honestly from someone that grew up driving in snow and ice I have never even tried them. Mark
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 626
Alias (AKA): 1st gen or frankenvan
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS V8 AWD

Postby AstroWill » February 20th 2021, 3:32am

Most of Maine is flat as a board as well, esp where the population is. Even the higher peaks which are not travel routes are double the elevation in OR, close to triple in CA. But look at the elevation on travel routes.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years

Postby Rockridge » February 22nd 2021, 12:56am

Because our driveway is so steep, and we were running FWD for the first few years, I was very close to buying the Spike Spyders. Easy on and off and they look pretty durable. Ended up with AWD vehicles and that solved it, unless we get an ice storm and then I have a luge run and we just park at the mid point and walk.

Agree on chains on the road, never used them, only for plowing my driveway
Rockridge

Postby AstroWill » February 23rd 2021, 7:17am

Proper tires make a huge difference.

AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director