Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Max Tire Pressure on Full Size Spare

764 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Coast2Coast 
#1 ·
This questions boils down to: can a full size spare have a max pressure less than the cold tire pressure listed on the van's tire/rim sticker, as long as the spare's load index and speed rating are sufficiently large?

I have a 2003 Chevy Astro, RWD. The tire/rim sticker on the driver's side door lists the following specs for front and rear tires:
Rim Diameter: 16"
Rim Width: 7"
Rim Flange Type: J
Tire Width: 215
Tire Aspect: 70
Tire Diameter: 16
Tire Speed Rating: S
** COLD TIRE PRESSURE: 38 psi **

My current four tires (Uniroyal Laredo Cross Country) have the following specs:
Width: 215
Aspect: 70
Diameter: 16
Load Index: 99 (max load 1709 lbs)
Speed Rating: T
** MAX PRESSURE: 44 psi (thus I inflate them to 38 psi with no worries)**

I bought a full size spare and rim. The rim is perfect and OEM (I have no questions about the rim). The spare tire (brand is Vee Rubber) matches all the specs of the four Uniroyal tires except:
Speed Rating: H (higher than T)
Load Index: 100 (max load 1763 lbs at max pressure)
**MAX PRESSURE: 36 psi **

So, the max pressure of the spare (36) is LESS than the cold tire pressure specified on my van's sticker (38). Is this a problem? I obviously wouldn't try to inflate the spare to 38 psi. Should I (1) start over, and buy a different spare tire with a max pressure greater than 38 psi so I can set it 38 psi like the other tires, or (2) keep the spare tire I bought, and inflate it to some psi less than 36? How much psi then?

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.