Chevy Astrovan 2001 for parts or whole van

Forum rules
Always remember this is the internet folks. People get scammed every day (although, thankfully not here). Be aware of who you are dealing with and the product you're potentially buying. A little common sense goes a long way.
SCAMMERS BEWARE- We cooperate fully with users who have been defrauded. All IP Addresses are logged so just don't even bother.

Chevy Astrovan 2001 for parts or whole van

Postby Bryan [OP] » September 25th 2018, 5:44am

This is a non running, seized engine van with ~130,000 miles on it. So the engine as a whole is no good. The transmission is in great shape and I replaced the fluid, gasket and filter prior to engine failure. It has new AC compressor, alternator, radiator, heater core, wiper pump motors, wiper module, window motors and the list goes on. I let it sit for so long before deciding to sell it because it was such a good van and I put so much into it. Engine and trany mounts where replaced just over a year ago. And less than a year ago I replaced both idler arms. It has a tow package and I added the hitch some time ago.

This van was a great family van and then work van. I kept everything working, from the ABS module to AC down to the last door lock actuator when I was driving it. It has lots of new parts as everything was maintained prior to the engine seizing up. The interior 2 bench and 2 front seats are in very good condition. It has sat in our driveway now for 7 or 8 months but so it doesn't get the continual fresh AC or just aired out like it used to get. I am always opening doors because I have been using it for storing and selling CL items from it but there is no moisture other than humidity that is present to soil interior. It I kept it clean and vacuumed and there was never any tobacco or other smoking in it.

I have it listed on Craigslist for parts at the moment but all I have sold is the catalytic converter(s). I have for the last 4 or so years been so grateful for this website and its users. This was my go to site for accurate information when it came to servicing this van. If anyone wants to buy as is or parts off this van and you found this ad on this website I will make a better deal than I would on CL or other.

I live in Tampa Florida in the 33604 area code. Here is the CL post link:
https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/pts/6694830316.html

Bryan

Last edited by Bryan on September 25th 2018, 9:25pm, edited 1 time in total.
Original Poster [OP]
Bryan
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: Bryan has been a member for 5 full yearsBryan has been a member for 5 full yearsBryan has been a member for 5 full yearsBryan has been a member for 5 full yearsBryan has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2001
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LT

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • 2001 AstroVan AWD for sale
    by renickh » May 6th 2020, 6:43pm in Vans For Sale
    1 Replies
    Last post by PowerCamper View the latest post
    June 12th 2020, 4:18am
  • 1987 Chevy Astro Van
    by 21dswartz » May 10th 2020, 10:45pm in Vans For Sale
    5 Replies
    Last post by 21dswartz View the latest post
    May 13th 2020, 12:46am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    September 26th 2020, 7:26pm

Re: Chevy Astrovan 2001 for parts or whole van

Postby AstroWill » September 25th 2018, 8:17pm

Sorry to hear it, looks like a nice van. Have you thought about a used engine, can be had pretty cheap if you are able to swap it out yourself.

Here is now to post pictures https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=110689

Trolls take away from productive work, best to starve the troll of attention by ignoring it and going about your business.
In 2016 ~66mil voted for Clinton, ~63mil voted for Trump and ~100mil(eligible) didn't vote Make a difference - register+vote!
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 106
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense

Postby Bryan [OP] » September 25th 2018, 9:18pm

Thanks for your kind reply and instructions on how to put pics up. I have considered swapping out engines and came real close to buying a remanufactured one for a great price. I didn't do it though simply because I didn't want to go through the amount of time it would take me and the knuckle breaking aggravation. I learned a heck of a lot about auto mechanics working on this van but I don't enjoy the process much at all. I ordered the whole kit to replace the engine gaskets and seals when I started seeing a mixing of oil and coolant. I tore into it replacing everything but the head gaskets. The intake manifold gaskets where the ones at the time leaking so I did not proceed on to the heads as I was just over it by then. When I put everything back together I was surprised that it cranked right up. And for a month or two it had so much power and no coolant or oil leaking or burning off at all. I thought I was home free. But then the inevitable, coolant and oil mixing again. My guess is that the head gaskets probably where the weak link and finally gave or my work failed somewhere. So as much as I wanted to keep the van the thought of replacing the engine was to daunting. I have no interest in paying someone else to do it either.
Thanks again
Cheers
Original Poster [OP]
Bryan
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: Bryan has been a member for 5 full yearsBryan has been a member for 5 full yearsBryan has been a member for 5 full yearsBryan has been a member for 5 full yearsBryan has been a member for 5 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby SheldonYoung » September 26th 2018, 12:23am

I'm surprised someone hasn't grabbed it. Looks to be in great condition.

I'd take it, but I have too many, according to the Bride, and have to sell one of my 3!

Couple nuisance items I could use, if you are parting it out:

- Seat Belt Buckles. The plastic casing is broken in 2 of the vans I plan to keep.

- Steel Rod Front Bumper Brace, (driver side). They're not made any more.

- Transmission Dip Stick.

- Tire Lug Wrench, from the Tool Kit.
'97 Astro (AstroSurf)
'05 Astro
'00 Astro
'01 Safari (Surfari)
SheldonYoung
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: SheldonYoung has been a member for 2 full yearsSheldonYoung has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 10
Alias (AKA): FrankenRodz
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari

Postby sfeaver » September 26th 2018, 1:42am

What are you asking for the whole van? I ask because I have to replace rocker panels on mine, being in the north! I'm guessing the underside of that van is rust free?
sfeaver
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: sfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 29
Alias (AKA): Scott
Extra Info: LT RWD 350ci V8

Postby Bryan [OP] » September 26th 2018, 3:14pm

At this point I would say $2,500 for van which is probably high. I am only basing this on what I gue=estimate I should be able to get from part sales and then scrapyard. And a couple other factors. I've had a couple calls for wanting parts via CL today such as head cylinder and injectors as well as the above SheldonYoung. So if parts do get removed that whole van price will not stand of course. I just did a looksie under the van and I do not see any rusting or even surface rust on the rocker panels, only dirt. Please excuse my ignorance, is that an item that is not aftermarket manufactured? I am curious because wouldn't the cost of getting those to you via one of the mail carriers be far more costly than the part? I am willing to remove, clean up and photograph them for you hopefully by days end today or tomorrow if that is what you would need from me. I'm new at posting dialogue here so figuring out the site from a different perspective and maybe slow at getting things uploaded but I've just about figured it out.
Thanks for your post and inquiry
Cheers
Original Poster [OP]
Bryan
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA):