005 Chevy Astro AWD Stealth Campervan - Meticulously Crafted

Forum rules
Always remember this is the internet folks. People get scammed every day (although, thankfully not here). Be aware of who you are dealing with and the product you're potentially buying. A little common sense goes a long way.
SCAMMERS BEWARE- We cooperate fully with users who have been defrauded. All IP Addresses are logged so just don't even bother.

005 Chevy Astro AWD Stealth Campervan - Meticulously Crafted

Postby drivethruecp [OP] » February 14th 2020, 12:09am

About: Found a rare last model year Chevrolet Astro AWD with almost 90k miles and zero rust; paid over $10k for this immaculate specimen in late 2015. Desirable 03-05 last model years, 2005 being the last year made. All of the capacities (Water, Electricity, Food, Clothing Storage/Cleaning) are designed to last off-grid for at least 5 days for 2 people (plus a dog). Its off-road chops gets to some of the most beautiful camps. Always preferring State Forest Land/BLM free camping without any facilities. The perfect base camp for hiking, fly fishing, climbing, kayaking, cooking, and all-around exploring. Down to every little detail of my own efficient camping style has been brought into the build. I took my backpacking gram-counting-spreadsheet principles into making a very intentional layout—never excess. Keeping a detailed spreadsheet ensures I never over-pack nor forget anything. New Product Development - Engineering and Industrial Design professionally, assistance from my Master Mechanic father on some of the more involved vehicle maintenance.

MUST SEE!

Some Key Features in my no-expense-spared build (way too many to list):

○ AWD
○ OverlandVans 4” Lifted Suspension
○ 245/75-16 BFGoodrich A/T KO2 Tires
○ 2 + dog capacity (or child creatively)
○ Kenwood Bluetooth Apt-X Stereo with mic at headliner
○ Powermaster 220A High Output Alternator
○ Big Three Electrical Upgrade with 0 Gauge OFC High-End Wiring
○ Blue Sea Systems Automatic Charging Relay with remote override (ML-ACR)
○ Blue Sea Systems Fuse Block Terminals
○ EZ-Cool Insulated (Roof, Walls and Floor)
○ Lifetime Warranty Tinted Windows
○ Reflectix cut for each window to add extra insulation if desired (always use windshield for privacy) Swivel Passenger Captains Chair
○ Marine Grade Subfloor
○ Ancor Marine Grade Wiring, connectors and clamps throughout (everything Blue Sea and Ancor)
○ Baltic Birch Cabinetry
○ Beech/Birch Sprung Bed Slats
○ Main Bed with sprung/slated base (69” long) with Hammock Second Bed (have another design that a second longer bed would fold off the top of the main if two beds were required... the extension would lay overtop of the passenger’s chair when rotated towards the rear). Could use fridge to extend the top of the bed, so you could conceivably add a decent amount of length creatively, 7 feet in total to be exact. I’ve slept here comfortably at 5’ 11” but generally my wife slept in the bed and me in the hammock. This gives a nice large “living space.” With standard diagonal lay and hammock being diagonal...you lay perfectly parallel to bed.
○ Blind Dovetailed Solid Birch Drawers
○ Blum BLUMOTION Full-Extension Soft-Close slides on all drawers (under bed, kitchen)
○ Stainless Sink/Faucet with low-flow water-saving inserts
○ On-Demand SHURflo Water Pump
○ Outside Shower (stealth hook-up) with quick connect (use quick pop shower tent) lower flow for water savings but pump is capable of serious PSI if desired
○ 34 Quart Dometic Refrigerator / Freezer CFX-35US
○ Maxxair Deluxe 7500K Fan with remote and thermostat
○ 80/20 Aluminum Extrusion Structures
○ Armstrong Highest-End Vinyl Flooring
○ 316 Stainless Hardware throughout
○ Blue Sea Systems Fuse Block and Breaker for Camper Systems
○ Blue Sea Systems M2 OLED DC SOC Meter (State of Charge Meter)
○ Blue Sea high-output Dual USB
○ Water Pump Over-ride switch
○ easily removable SHURflo water pump for winterizing on bracket
○ High-end Colder water couplings throughout (mostly normally closed variety)
○ Water fill port (to left of fridge accessible from back hatch), vented
○ All tubing/wiring/plumbing highest quality
○ VMAX 310Ah AGM Camper Batteries (2 @ 155Ah) (over rear axle)
○ Hidden (license plate) Charging Port to On-Board Charger 20A 7 Stage Smart Battery Charger / Maintainer
○ 20 Gallon Fresh Water Tank (over rear axle) Custom made with vent and self-closing valve fill (Colder) w/ fill line
○ 2.5 Gallon Grey Water Tank
○ Heavy Duty VanTech Roof Rack J1000 55” (3 bars)
○ Eezi Awn Swift Awning
○ Sylvania Silverstar ZXE headlights (Rigid LED's were always in the plans for auxiliary)
○ Recessed LED Warm (spectrum for not attracting bugs) Lighting (2 for living space on blue sea switch, 2 for kitchen on blue sea switch)
○ reading LED light
○ TPMS digital display pressure and temperature monitor system
○ No-See-Um Mesh custom window covers for passenger & drivers windows (general setup is to have windows cracked just above rain louvers, put screens on and turn fan to pull air out creating a convection effect eliminating humidity)
○ List goes on and on…

Just about everything mechanically on the van has been replaced and maintained. All parts are ACDelco (spent the extra money here as it counts). Over $15k in materials alone, plus 500 some-odd hours into this meticulous conversion. I have service history, every build material and component receipt and manual, spreadsheets, etc. I have several new parts also on my to-do list I’d include. All oil changes with Delco oil filters and Mobil 1 Full Synthetic every 5k miles. Extremely balanced and drives like a dream both off-road and on long highway jaunts. I’ll need to update the post with service records and such as time permits. Needs nothing, just did a new muffler and tailpipe, motor mounts, transmission mount, oil pan, AC re-charge, vacuum lines, air idler valve to give you an idea. Have any original parts not used in conversion from original 8 passenger configuration including two bench seats.

Currently 105,369 original miles. Asking $36,900 or best serious offer. I know this is for a special niche buyer. Compare to other van builds that cost WAY more and are lower quality. Let's please keep this post clean and PM me regarding any disagreement in listed price, serious offer inquiries or other. Located in Denville, NJ 07834 (Northern New Jersey).

If seriously interested I'm happy to do a video call to give you a tour or any other information you may need!

Reason for selling? Quite simply, my family is growing (just had a little-one) and moving to a Jeep Gladiator or JLU build next. The van would have to be completely reconfigured and really don't want to dismantle all the work that has been done. Van will accept Tahoe center seat but haven't checked if I can retain swivel feature (critical to hammock use).

Please see my website https://mlkolb.wixsite.com/stromad/campervan-conversion-build for all of the documented build photos and more photos in action (hundreds), although I admit my “final” photos are seriously lacking and plan to get those done in the near future to really showcase this one-of-a-kind build (I just enjoy when I camp and never remember to take some good photos of the rig in action).
Attachments
IMG_20180715_105519.jpg
IMG_20180522_184057.jpg
IMG_20190527_114240.jpg
IMG_20190527_114430.jpg
IMG_20190527_114452.jpg
IMG_20190527_114523.jpg
IMG_20190527_114540.jpg
IMG_20190527_114620.jpg
IMG_20190527_114638.jpg
IMG_20190527_114720.jpg
IMG_20170729_131351.jpg
20160723_105557.jpg
older photo before new 2.5 gal grey water tank
IMG_20180831_155913 (2).jpg
IMG_20180714_131240.jpg
IMG_20170721_104746 (2).jpg
shower tent setup
20161030_000119_blur.jpg
awkward photo to give you an idea of hammock, with standard diagonal lay and hammock being diagonal...you lay perfectly parallel to bed
Last edited by drivethruecp on February 14th 2020, 1:45am, edited 2 times in total.
Original Poster [OP]
drivethruecp
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: drivethruecp has been a member for 5 full yearsdrivethruecp has been a member for 5 full yearsdrivethruecp has been a member for 5 full yearsdrivethruecp has been a member for 5 full yearsdrivethruecp has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 4
Alias (AKA): Stromad
Van Model Year: 2005
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: Stromad AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • 2005 Chevy Astro AWD For Sale
    by MusicETC » June 16th 2020, 3:47pm in Vans For Sale
    0 Replies
    Last post by MusicETC View the latest post
    June 16th 2020, 3:47pm
  • 1987 Chevy Astro Van
    by 21dswartz » May 10th 2020, 10:45pm in Vans For Sale
    5 Replies
    Last post by 21dswartz View the latest post
    May 13th 2020, 12:46am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    September 21st 2020, 3:13am

Re: 005 Chevy Astro AWD Stealth Campervan - Meticulously Cra

Postby Sailing_Faith » February 14th 2020, 1:02am

That is quite a build, good luck with the sale.
Sailing_Faith
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: Sailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 57
Alias (AKA): s/v Faith
Van Model Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLT 4.3l RWD G80

Postby drivethruecp [OP] » February 14th 2020, 1:44am

Sailing_Faith wrote:That is quite a build, good luck with the sale.

Thank you very much! Appreciate the words of encouragement :thumbup:
Original Poster [OP]
drivethruecp
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: drivethruecp has been a member for 5 full yearsdrivethruecp has been a member for 5 full yearsdrivethruecp has been a member for 5 full yearsdrivethruecp has been a member for 5 full yearsdrivethruecp has been a member for 5 full years

Postby Rockridge » February 14th 2020, 2:07am

How do you like those folding shelf brackets on the Dutch door. I have a shelf ready for install with the same brackets. I'm hoping they aren't too rattly when driving around.
Rockridge
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Rockridge has been a member for 4 full yearsRockridge has been a member for 4 full yearsRockridge has been a member for 4 full yearsRockridge has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 45
Alias (AKA): Walker
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby drivethruecp [OP] » February 14th 2020, 2:47am

Rockridge wrote:How do you like those folding shelf brackets on the Dutch door. I have a shelf ready for install with the same brackets. I'm hoping they aren't too rattly when driving around.

They're pretty good. I originally fabricated my own out of 90 degree aluminum extrusions of two different dimensions and stainless shoulder screws. I don't remember what let me to get these lift up ones in stainless but they work good. I did rivnuts into the door to secure these. These are designed to have a table lift up, not tilt down. They're nice and tight fitting hinge-wise so absolutely no rattles. They can allow the door to fall down on bumpy roads but my rack is right there in front of the fridge..so no worries. Could do lock-out pins by drilling into the hinge mechanism with pins typical of ones for wranglers and such.
Original Poster [OP]
drivethruecp
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)

Postby AstroWill » February 14th 2020, 4:48pm

Fan-freaking-tastic build! GLWS

Trolls take away from productive work, best to starve the troll of attention by ignoring it and going about your business.
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 106
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense

Postby Sparkydog » February 14th 2020, 5:04pm

Beautiful van! You have set the bar for me as I embark on my build. I'd like to ask a few questions if you don't mind - I'm sorry that I'm not a prospective buyer.

What did you do for a latrine?

On your lift and tire combination did you need to trim the trim? Meaning did you have to modify the plastic molding around the bottom of the van? It looks like maybe you trimmed the front "spoiler" under the bumper? If these answers lie in your build that you linked just tell me and I'll go study it.
Sparkydog
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Years of Membership: Sparkydog has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2003
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: AWD

Postby drivethruecp [OP] » February 14th 2020, 5:18pm

Sparkydog wrote:Beautiful van! You have set the bar for me as I embark on my build. I'd like to ask a few questions if you don't mind - I'm sorry that I'm not a prospective buyer.

What did you do for a latrine?

On your lift and tire combination did you need to trim the trim? Meaning did you have to modify the plastic molding around the bottom of the van? It looks like maybe you trimmed the front "spoiler" under the bumper? If these answers lie in your build that you linked just tell me and I'll go study it.

Appreciate it! My take on cooking, shower and latrine is to do it outside. Even in larger vans... The humidity, smoke and smell aren't worth it. For restroom duty I have a very sturdy and sharpened trowel that we dig catholes following conventional backpacking guidelines (not up-hill of water or near ANY water source, single ply compostable, etc). I also have a folding toilet seat with legs I can put over a dug hole (my wife generally prefers this, I don't use it). Then burry and put a vertical twig to mark the spot (prevent digging up the same spot twice). Of course if you have vault toilets or other nearby we certainly use those. Nothing better than a squat (grab a tree with both hands in front of you for extra points) and poop in the woods! I have a toilet paper cover that looks like a film roll with a slot to pull from. Works good, keeps TP clean and dry. Most are very opposed to going in the woods...read up on it and try it and you'll see it's not so bad even for ladies and kids. There's plenty of techniques to find what best works for you.

The trimming I had to do was in the plastic fenders. Primarily the bumper cover as you pointed out and a little bit inside of the painted and little at the fender well of the splash shield, yet not enough that I no longer have splash protection. Only at Max turning on very uneven ground I sometimes get some rubbing in one of the bars/rods inside...but is smooth and painted, yet is all still there so minimal as this only ever happens at super low speeds (k-turns, turning up a large change in terrain at Max left or right, etc.)
Original Poster [OP]
drivethruecp
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)

Postby ElroyJetson » March 2nd 2020, 7:56pm

Hi,
Kudos on a remarkable build.
Did I miss the asking price?
ElroyJetson
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA): Paul
Van Model Year: 1999

Postby Wiley » March 2nd 2020, 9:12pm

ElroyJetson wrote:Hi,
Kudos on a remarkable build.
Did I miss the asking price?

drivethruecp wrote:Asking $36,900 or best serious offer
2guys1truck.com: 2004 AWD Chevy Astro from California to Colombia!
Wiley
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Wiley has been a member for 6 full yearsWiley has been a member for 6 full yearsWiley has been a member for 6 full yearsWiley has been a member for 6 full yearsWiley has been a member for 6 full yearsWiley has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 7
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: AWD 2 inch Lift

Postby sixsix » March 2nd 2020, 9:16pm

Last edited by sixsix on March 3rd 2020, 5:43pm, edited 1 time in total.

Well, after all... what would Banacek say ?... “It is only a matter of time before armed citizens, waiting or not for the police, take things into their own hands, fire on the rioters for personal and property prot. & end up hunted like dogs.”

sixsix
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 37
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby drivethruecp [OP] » March 3rd 2020, 1:10am

Thank you! Yes, best serious offer.
Original Poster [OP]
drivethruecp
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)