Swivel Seat Bracket

Forum rules
Always remember this is the internet folks. People get scammed every day (although, thankfully not here). Be aware of who you are dealing with and the product you're potentially buying. A little common sense goes a long way.
SCAMMERS BEWARE- We cooperate fully with users who have been defrauded. All IP Addresses are logged so just don't even bother.

Swivel Seat Bracket

Postby KyleS [OP] » September 21st 2017, 1:28am

I have the opportunity to buy a pair of factory swivel seat brackets, but I can only use one of them due to the electronic module under my drivers seat. The seller will not sell them individually and I can't afford to buy both unless I can get my money back on the one I can't use. So I'm reaching out to see if there is any interest.

2017090995160931.jpg

Details:
I don't know what year they came out of, but the bottom holes line up with the studs in my 2003 perfectly. The holes on the top side of the bracket do not line up with my 03 seats, but the included parts from the underside of the original seats will make it bolt on with nothing more than a drill. If you have an older van, it may very well bolt right on. I have more pictures showing rough measurements if needed.

Price is $175, firm. Located in northern Colorado, but willing to ship provided that the buyer pays for the shipping.

The next best option I've found is the guy on expedition portal who is charging $330 each for the ones he's fabricating. When you add shipping from British Columbia (where he is), it's nearly $400 which is way out of my price range. What I'm trying to say is that I believe my price to be a smoking deal, especially considering these are DOT-tested factory brackets, not some custom fabrication project.
Last edited by KyleS on September 21st 2017, 12:00pm, edited 1 time in total.
Original Poster [OP]
KyleS
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: KyleS has been a member for 4 full yearsKyleS has been a member for 4 full yearsKyleS has been a member for 4 full yearsKyleS has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 7
Alias (AKA): Kyle
Van Model Year: 2003
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: Swivel Seat Bracket

Postby WinnieVan » September 21st 2017, 1:32am

FWIW - I have one from Johny @ Expedition Portal and while it isn't DOT --- it isn't going to be the reason my passenger dies in an accident. Honestly -- it's over-built as ****.

Anyhoo -- your price is a good price and it looks like a nice swivel taboot! GLWS!
WinnieVan
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: WinnieVan has been a member for 4 full yearsWinnieVan has been a member for 4 full yearsWinnieVan has been a member for 4 full yearsWinnieVan has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 64
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004

Postby KyleS [OP] » September 21st 2017, 3:28am

That's a good point.
To clarify, I didn't mean to imply that Johnny's brackets are unsafe or less than robust. But the DOT approval can be valuable to some people, like me when I'm trying to convince my girlfriend to let me modify the seat brackets on her daily driver. :lol:
Original Poster [OP]
KyleS
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: KyleS has been a member for 4 full yearsKyleS has been a member for 4 full yearsKyleS has been a member for 4 full yearsKyleS has been a member for 4 full years

Postby GreatWhite » September 21st 2017, 5:44am

$175 for 2? Do you think they raise the seat at all? I'd be interested in one.
'04 GMC Safari SLT AWD
'07 Honda Element AWD
'97 Nissan Hardbody 4x4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWAAXrlt43s
GreatWhite
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: GreatWhite has been a member for 5 full yearsGreatWhite has been a member for 5 full yearsGreatWhite has been a member for 5 full yearsGreatWhite has been a member for 5 full yearsGreatWhite has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 18
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: AWD SLT 3+1 Lift

Postby WinnieVan » September 21st 2017, 7:18am

KyleS wrote:That's a good point.
To clarify, I didn't mean to imply that Johnny's brackets are unsafe or less than robust. But the DOT approval can be valuable to some people, like me when I'm trying to convince my girlfriend to let me modify the seat brackets on her daily driver. :lol:

Ya wasn't trying to accuse you of that either -- just wanted to bring it up!
WinnieVan
Years of Membership: WinnieVan has been a member for 4 full yearsWinnieVan has been a member for 4 full yearsWinnieVan has been a member for 4 full yearsWinnieVan has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 64
Alias (AKA):

Postby KyleS [OP] » September 21st 2017, 11:58am

GreatWhite wrote:$175 for 2? Do you think they raise the seat at all? I'd be interested in one.

No, $175 is the price for one. And that does not include shipping from Colorado to wherever you are.

I honestly don't know if it will change the seat height. But I'm guessing that it won't, considering that this is a factory bracket. I can find out and get back to you.
Original Poster [OP]
KyleS
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)

Postby AstroWill » September 21st 2017, 2:31pm

I don't know if I would call it a 'factory bracket', it's an after-market conversion seat bracket, these are pretty common in almost every conversion van. A lot of them don't directly bolt up to the factory seats, but instead have bolt patterns for after-market seats but can be modified. Usually they will add height to the factory seats, but tend to work perfectly fine with the after-market ones that sit lower. You can find these for $5-20 from conversion vans and RVs at the junk yards. But it can be a PITA as they tend to sell pretty quickly due to the fact that new ones are on the pricey side.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 109
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby KyleS [OP] » September 21st 2017, 7:05pm

AstroWill wrote:I don't know if I would call it a 'factory bracket', it's an after-market conversion seat bracket, these are pretty common in almost every conversion van. A lot of them don't directly bolt up to the factory seats, but instead have bolt patterns for after-market seats but can be modified. Usually they will add height to the factory seats, but tend to work perfectly fine with the after-market ones that sit lower. You can find these for $5-20 from conversion vans and RVs at the junk yards. But it can be a PITA as they tend to sell pretty quickly due to the fact that new ones are on the pricey side.

This is super helpful and very well-timed info, thanks Will.
Sounds like the info I'm getting from this seller needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Now the question is, should I abort this mission? Or is this still likely to be the best deal around?
Original Poster [OP]
KyleS
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)

Postby WimpTech » September 21st 2017, 7:13pm

I got my swivel from the local JY for $25, works fine, doesn't bolt straight up. I have walked past at least a dozen of these in the past year FWIW.
WimpTech - Precision Guesswork... Questionable Results.

My Van Build: viewtopic.php?f=127&t=103714
My Other Van: http://www.vcvc.org/showthread.php/3013 ... ersion-Van
WimpTech
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: WimpTech has been a member for 5 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 5 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 5 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 5 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): =Wimpy=
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: AWD 3+1 Lift

Postby AstroWill » September 21st 2017, 7:50pm

KyleS wrote:Now the question is, should I abort this mission? Or is this still likely to be the best deal around?

Not necessarily, but I would take some time to browse the local junk yards if you have time. If that is exactly what you want, and what you want to spend, then go for it.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years

Postby gavio » September 21st 2017, 7:54pm

Sounds like the info I'm getting from this seller needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Now the question is, should I abort this mission? Or is this still likely to be the best deal around?

All are true at once...... When new, these do sell for around $199 each at conversion van stores..... And the same design has been used in conversion vans since the early days, so finding them in salvage yards is common...... I got a couple from pick and pull a while back, and ended up chucking one in the recycle bin 'cuz nobody wanted it at the time.......

Just depends on how important the "new" aspect is to you (and your girlfriend)...... And how patient you are - some trips to the JY ya find some, other times not....
2004 Safari, 4 inch lift, NP-231 t-case, 255/70/16 BFGs, home-brewed pop top, full camper, on-board propane, lions and tigers and bears, oh my.....
gavio
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: gavio has been a member for 8 full yearsgavio has been a member for 8 full yearsgavio has been a member for 8 full yearsgavio has been a member for 8 full yearsgavio has been a member for 8 full yearsgavio has been a member for 8 full yearsgavio has been a member for 8 full yearsgavio has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 77
Alias (AKA):

Postby KyleS [OP] » September 22nd 2017, 4:24am

Thanks for all the info everyone.

New is definitely not my priority, only functionality. And the girlfriend definitely prefers something professionally made over me hacking up her seat bracket, but that doesn't mean we have unlimited cash for a non-essential part. I was emailing back and forth with Johnny a while back and honestly if his were cheaper, I would have bought one already. But these ones are the very top of my budget and that's only if I can find someone to split it with me. I certainly can't afford to throw one of them in the recycle bin. If the consensus is that I can get one for $25 by biding my time for a few months, then I guess that's the new plan. I have plenty of other projects to keep me busy in the meantime.

Unfortunately, I'm having a hard time finding just the normal parts from junk yards in my area. Seems like they just aren't keeping Astros around anymore. And even a salvage place that specializes in RV parts had nothing for swivel seat brackets. So if anyone happens to know of a junk yard that has one, I'd appreciate the heads up. I'm about to make a trip out east, so it would be especially awesome if it happened to be along the KC-St Louis-Nashville-Charlotte route. Thanks again!

And if anyone out there is interested in the ones originally listed, I'd be happy to put you in touch with the seller.
Original Poster [OP]
KyleS
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)

Postby jeepy » November 11th 2017, 12:47am

Hi,
I'm desperately looking for a swivel seat base for my Safari.
If you still have yours please let me know the dimension.
Otherwise,
If someone could tell me where I can get a swivel base that would be great.
I'm also looking for an Astro or Safari second row bucket seat base since it is lower as the front seats base a swivel mounted on it would not raise the seat at all.
jeepy
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: jeepy has been a member for 3 full yearsjeepy has been a member for 3 full yearsjeepy has been a member for 3 full years
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: Passanger AWD

Postby AstroWill » November 11th 2017, 2:52am

A junk yard is your best bet, like $20, lots of conversion vans came with the swivels. You can also buy them new at RV/conversion supply places, but they are $$.

AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby markmitch » November 13th 2017, 4:27am

I just seen two free bucket seats from a conversion van on CL with swivels on both. I emailed the owner now if he still has them I will drive an hour to pick them up free!
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full years
Topics: 629
Alias (AKA): 1st gen or frankenvan
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS V8 AWD

Postby KyleS [OP] » December 1st 2017, 8:45pm

jeepy wrote:Hi,
I'm desperately looking for a swivel seat base for my Safari.
If you still have yours please let me know the dimension.

I never actually bought these, but I can put you in touch with the seller if you're still interested.
Original Poster [OP]
KyleS
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)