Passenger Swivel Bases for Sale

Forum rules
Always remember this is the internet folks. People get scammed every day (although, thankfully not here). Be aware of who you are dealing with and the product you're potentially buying. A little common sense goes a long way.
SCAMMERS BEWARE- We cooperate fully with users who have been defrauded. All IP Addresses are logged so just don't even bother.

Re: Passenger Swivel Bases for Sale

Postby SportsBoy » December 10th 2020, 10:56pm

AstroOafAdventurer wrote:FYI, my seat brackets look to be factory, and don't appear to have adapters.
One thing I'm curious about, is there a way to make the seat slide further forward? My plans for having it rotate is to then tilt back and have almost a recliner, but I think I saw in another thread somewhere you couldn't recline the back very much.
PS, click the pic and it's upright, and I'm curious what the rest of that sold by tag says...
IMG_20201210_150347936.jpg

I believe forum member silverbullet extended the rails on his passenger seat so there was more legroom - maybe give that a look.
SportsBoy
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: SportsBoy has been a member for 3 full yearsSportsBoy has been a member for 3 full yearsSportsBoy has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 24
Alias (AKA): Blake
Van Model Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4.3 AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Postby AstroOafAdventurer » December 10th 2020, 11:22pm

SportsBoy wrote:
AstroOafAdventurer wrote:FYI, my seat brackets look to be factory, and don't appear to have adapters.
One thing I'm curious about, is there a way to make the seat slide further forward? My plans for having it rotate is to then tilt back and have almost a recliner, but I think I saw in another thread somewhere you couldn't recline the back very much.
PS, click the pic and it's upright, and I'm curious what the rest of that sold by tag says...
IMG_20201210_150347936.jpg

I believe forum member silverbullet extended the rails on his passenger seat so there was more legroom - maybe give that a look.

Yes, i think you mean this one:
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=21642

I want to say I saw one where the guy set the front mount holes on the rear bolts and added new rear bolts?

Either way I was hoping for something that kept a stock look.
Can you double the sliders up?
I know that probably has to violate something somewhere, but I'm solo and no plans to pick up hitch hikers, and if someone really needs a ride they can get in the back lol.
97 Astrofari Conversion Van 62k 64k miles, 65k miles
AstroOafAdventurer
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Topics: 43
Alias (AKA): Thorsteenster
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: RWD GMC grille

Postby WinnieVan [OP] » December 11th 2020, 8:59pm

Honestly -- I can offset the unit bearing to the rear -- which would move the seat more forward in the rearward position -- and thus would provide a bit more clearance to recline.

I'll fiddle with that idea -- I don't have much room to work with given the rather strange design of the Astro seat rails and the fact I have to offset the bearing towards the center to allow for swivelling without opening the passenger door.

FWIW -- if you slide it all the way forward -- you can recline a fair amount. Not enough to sleep -- but it is comfortable to rest there.
Original Poster [OP]
WinnieVan
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: WinnieVan has been a member for 4 full yearsWinnieVan has been a member for 4 full yearsWinnieVan has been a member for 4 full yearsWinnieVan has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 64
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: AWD

Postby AstroOafAdventurer » December 11th 2020, 9:19pm

Really, I've never sat in the passenger seat, let alone swiveled around backwards so no idea how much it reclines.
I'm curious though, the green plate in your illustrations has two pieces that are bent up front and rear of the unit bearing, what role do they play?
I can't quite see what they're there for, but if it wasn't for those it looks like you could just about have two mounting positions in the base for the unit bearing to allow people to mount it more rearward or more stock.
But again, never experienced the swiveled seat, I am 6'4 but not looking to go down for sleeping, maybe more like a "reading nook".
Appreciate the effort you're putting in on this!
AstroOafAdventurer
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Postby Rod's Trucks » December 11th 2020, 9:26pm

I would guess that is a mounting point for the locking mechanism ( to keep from rotating ).
Rod J
Rod's Trucks
Years of Membership: Rod's Trucks has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 35
Alias (AKA): Rod and/or WE7X
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: Forest Green LS AWD

Postby WinnieVan [OP] » December 11th 2020, 11:22pm

Bingo -- check out the pictures on this post:
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.p ... 2#p1570168

Those are bent and necessary for the locking mechanism to function. The spring-loaded pin will "ride-up" the angled sections and "snap" into a hole in the flat section. I'm prototyping this right now and I'm getting good -- aka firm and secure -- results! I'm pretty happy with it thus far -- I'm glad too -- since using a brake rotor for this purpose was pretty time intensive and not very scalable.

Also -- if someone has their van handy and could measure the following parallelogram that be awesome:
IMG_4696.JPG

Mostly need:
- the length of the top and bottom parts
- the vertical distance between the two
- (bonus) angles of the front and rear!

Nothing needs to be down to the .001 -- I just want to make sure I have enough vertical clearance for my base as I'm hoping to get a prototype bent up next week and I'm away from my van for the next 3 or 4 weeks!! I'm pretty sure I am golden -- but I want to "build" that parallelogram into my model and make sure nothing is going to interfere:
Screenshot 2020-12-11 142357.png
Original Poster [OP]
WinnieVan
Years of Membership: WinnieVan has been a member for 4 full yearsWinnieVan has been a member for 4 full yearsWinnieVan has been a member for 4 full yearsWinnieVan has been a member for 4 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby AstroWill » December 15th 2020, 2:02am

I can measure the hump for you tomorrow if you haven't gotten the measurements already.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby AstroOafAdventurer » December 15th 2020, 4:28am

WinnieVan wrote:Bingo -- check out the pictures on this post:
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.p ... 2#p1570168

Well then, there you go. Clearly I looked but didn't see!
Hey, on a side note, your designing them in a CAD program, can you then animate it to see how it's move and any issues in it's movement?
I myself am trying to do something to test out some measurements for a plan I'm working on.
AstroOafAdventurer
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Postby WinnieVan [OP] » December 15th 2020, 9:15am

Sort of -- I have two "configurations" -- locked and unlocked. Basically only differ by either the lock pin is all the way in or all the way out.

Then I can test for "interference" in any position I like... I think there are add-ons to my software (Alibre Design) that allow animation, etc. but I'm not sure how they work to dynamically test the design.

For example -- I had to make sure the lock pin wouldn't stick out too far as to not ride up the wings of the lock mechanism -- for that I put the configuration in at "locked" (i.e. pin fully extended forward) and made sure it wouldn't hit the side of the wing.

I'm by no means an expert in 3DCAD -- but I'm sure you can design moving assemblies and check for clearance, etc.
Original Poster [OP]
WinnieVan
Alias (AKA):

Postby AstroWill » December 16th 2020, 1:34am

So, 7-3/4 across the top, 9-1/8 across the bottom, and 1" between the two for the door side of the passenger seat on my 03.
Now of course there could be a little bit of variation depending on the carpet and padding/insulation and how much it's matted/compressed. But that gives you a general idea.

I don't know how much of a difference it makes to anyone, but I think it would look better if you came to the outside of the seat mounting studs for the vertical part of the base plate, it would hide the studs and nuts on the inside of the base.

Also, for the lower plate, I would try to get it as low as possible and make up any needed difference in height with the upper plate. Are you planning on shipping them assembled or disassembled? How well will they nest together when disassembled?

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years

Postby WinnieVan [OP] » December 16th 2020, 5:59am

Thank you Will! Appreciate that big time.

AstroWill wrote:I don't know how much of a difference it makes to anyone, but I think it would look better if you came to the outside of the seat mounting studs for the vertical part of the base plate, it would hide the studs and nuts on the inside of the base.

I've fiddled with the idea and stuck with this for the time being -- I have a design kicking around with this configuration but went for this one for the time being as it makes the unfolded piece smaller and thus cheaper to manufacture.

AstroWill wrote:Also, for the lower plate, I would try to get it as low as possible and make up any needed difference in height with the upper plate. Are you planning on shipping them assembled or disassembled? How well will they nest together when disassembled?

Plan is to ship assembled -- I imagine the binding constraint for shipping will be weight not dimension -- but if it turns out to be way cheaper as a "assemble yourself" product -- we can definitely do it that way.
Last edited by WinnieVan on December 16th 2020, 6:00am, edited 1 time in total.
Original Poster [OP]
WinnieVan
Alias (AKA):

Postby WinnieVan [OP] » December 16th 2020, 6:00am

As a general update -- I've basically finalized the prototype on the computer -- just need to make a few final measurements and then it's off to get lasered and bent.

Capture.JPG

Not sure how long it'll take to get the parts back -- but I'm hoping before xmas so I can use some time over the holiday to machine the locking mechanism and get this prototype working!

Stay tuned folks..
Original Poster [OP]
WinnieVan
Alias (AKA):

Postby AstroWill » December 16th 2020, 8:37pm

WinnieVan wrote:I've fiddled with the idea and stuck with this for the time being -- I have a design kicking around with this configuration but went for this one for the time being as it makes the unfolded piece smaller and thus cheaper to manufacture.

:thumbup: Definitely would add to the size and weight, though depending on how close you are to using the full width/length of the sheet, may not make a real difference in cost.

WinnieVan wrote:Plan is to ship assembled -- I imagine the binding constraint for shipping will be weight not dimension -- but if it turns out to be way cheaper as a "assemble yourself" product -- we can definitely do it that way.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Planning on doing a video of it being cut/bent?

AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby WinnieVan [OP] » December 16th 2020, 8:48pm

AstroWill wrote:
WinnieVan wrote:I've fiddled with the idea and stuck with this for the time being -- I have a design kicking around with this configuration but went for this one for the time being as it makes the unfolded piece smaller and thus cheaper to manufacture.

:thumbup: Definitely would add to the size and weight, though depending on how close you are to using the full width/length of the sheet, may not make a real difference in cost.

Yeah -- I'll probably quote both variants and see what the actual difference is -- I agree that covering the studs would look better -- but then I should probably make the top that shape too -- although that's more hidden.

AstroWill wrote:
WinnieVan wrote:Plan is to ship assembled -- I imagine the binding constraint for shipping will be weight not dimension -- but if it turns out to be way cheaper as a "assemble yourself" product -- we can definitely do it that way.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Planning on doing a video of it being cut/bent?

Boy I wish but the shop floor is closed to visitors right now -- but I will ask the guy if he'd snap a photo/video or two -- it is so cool to watch.
Original Poster [OP]
WinnieVan
Alias (AKA):

Postby AstroWill » December 16th 2020, 9:00pm

WinnieVan wrote:but then I should probably make the top that shape too -- although that's more hidden.
I don't think the top will matter near as much.

WinnieVan wrote:Boy I wish but the shop floor is closed to visitors right now -- but I will ask the guy if he'd snap a photo/video or two -- it is so cool to watch.

Agreed! Would be awesome to watch. :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby WinnieVan [OP] » December 23rd 2020, 6:13am

Well I sent the design off last week -- but it is unlikely I'll get the prototype back until 1st or 2nd week of Jan. I'll work on machining the other parts in the meantime so hopefully it can be a quick turn-around...

AstroWill wrote:Agreed! Would be awesome to watch. :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

And for you AstroWill -- sometimes technology can offer a pretty good consolation:

Stay tuned folks -- won't be long before this pig can fly!!
Original Poster [OP]
WinnieVan
Alias (AKA):

Postby sixsix » December 23rd 2020, 4:46pm

Whew!
Thanks... I was picturing an old middle easterner sweating over a vise with her ball peen and channel locks.

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

I Love Peaches also & Wolverines and Gophers
sixsix
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 39
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby markmitchmarkmitch is online! » December 23rd 2020, 5:27pm

Not sure if this was mentioned but if you could make an option of the seat being further back like an inch or two for us tall folks that would possibly make them more sellable for some of us. I know my wife is shorter then I am and she really wishes her passenger seat went back a bit more so if on a long trip she can stretch out a bit more.
Overall I really like where you are going with this though. Just a thought, Mark
markmitchmarkmitch is online!
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full years
Topics: 629
Alias (AKA): 1st gen or frankenvan
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS V8 AWD

Postby Rod's Trucks » December 23rd 2020, 7:33pm

That is one 'slick' video.
I have a VERY CRUDE version of that tool, built to use with my hydraulic press; but it will not handle that gauge of metal nor that width or with that accuracy. I use it for bending 1/8" or 3/16" flat bar
I guess I need to build some better jigs!
Too many ideas and too little time!
Rod J
Rod's Trucks
Years of Membership: Rod's Trucks has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 35
Alias (AKA): Rod and/or WE7X
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: Forest Green LS AWD

Postby WinnieVan [OP] » December 23rd 2020, 9:07pm

markmitch wrote:Not sure if this was mentioned but if you could make an option of the seat being further back like an inch or two for us tall folks that would possibly make them more sellable for some of us. I know my wife is shorter then I am and she really wishes her passenger seat went back a bit more so if on a long trip she can stretch out a bit more.
Overall I really like where you are going with this though. Just a thought, Mark

I actually hear there a lot -- this shouldn't be too hard to integrate --

As it stands -- there is 1/2" of adjustment built in to the current design based on the slotting of the upper mounting holes. I could make the slots longer -- but I don't want them to be too long.

I'm thinking of adding a second set of slotted mounts 1.5" further back -- but the curvature of the rails may be a deciding factor. That definitely complicates things a bit.

Why o why couldn't they just make them flat like in the Savana? No one will ever know.
Original Poster [OP]
WinnieVan
Alias (AKA):

PreviousNext