Can I switch to deep tranny pan from shallow?

Can I switch to deep tranny pan from shallow?

Postby the_bruce [OP] » May 2nd 2021, 10:31pm

97 Safari RWD - 100K miles

I am doing a transmission fluid change (not the flush option, did not want to dig into the radiator connections). I installed a drain plug in the pan, but upon reassembly it will not let the pan seat correctly. Stupid me put the drain in a bad place and the inside bolt is hitting something.

So, I can either try again with a new shallow pan trying to put the drain in an acceptable place and hope it works, or I was thinking of getting a deep pan and filter to allow more room. I think both the shallow and deep pans have 16 bolts, and gaskets look the same so as long as I got the correct filter I think it would work. Anyone done this?

Also, one of the short bolts sheared off while taking off the pan :banghead: I was going to put together once I get the drain location figured out and see if it leaked once all the bolts are torqued correctly. Anyone ever remove a broken tranny pan bolt?

Everything seems to take me three times as long as I think it should and there is always some SNAFU that pops up. :whack:

Thank you,
Bruce
Original Poster [OP]
the_bruce
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: the_bruce has been a member for 3 full yearsthe_bruce has been a member for 3 full yearsthe_bruce has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA): Andy
Van Model Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE 4.3L V6 RWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Changing tranny fluid on low miles safari
    by JusticeIroquois » January 3rd 2021, 6:26pm in Automatic
    16 Replies
    Last post by mdconvert View the latest post
    January 5th 2021, 1:09pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    May 16th 2021, 6:56am

Re: Can I switch to deep tranny pan from shallow?

Postby Bigforkg » May 3rd 2021, 2:54am

You could go with a deep pan just make sure to get the filter for a deep pan. Here is one with a drain already. DOUBLE CHECK ME. https://www.amazon.com/Assault-Racing-P ... B01LX45FC5
Bigforkg
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: Bigforkg has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 9
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1998
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: V8 4x4 246Tcase

Postby AstroWill » May 3rd 2021, 11:47pm

Pans bolt up the same, just change to the proper filter.
Do you have a picture of your pan and the new drain that you installed, so others can see where not to put the drain?

As far as the bolt, drill it, start with a small pilot and make sure it's centered and straight so you don't damage the threads. Otherwise if there is enough to weld a nut to the remaining bolt, you can use that to remove it.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 109
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby AstroOafAdventurer » May 4th 2021, 4:12am

I did this a few months back on my then new to me Astro while changing the trans fluid for the first time.
I bought a Dorman deep pan with the plug already in it and matching filter.
Easy peasy.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1
And this filter:
97 Astrofari Conversion Van 62k 64k miles, 65k miles
AstroOafAdventurer
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Topics: 43
Alias (AKA): Thorsteenster
Extra Info: RWD GMC grille

Postby SportsBoy » May 4th 2021, 1:07pm

Deep pan works fine, just get a deep filter.

I took mine off a tahoe trans I think.

It's too bad you drilled the wrong spot on the original though - did you not put it in the circular depression?
SportsBoy
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: SportsBoy has been a member for 3 full yearsSportsBoy has been a member for 3 full yearsSportsBoy has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 24
Alias (AKA): Blake
Extra Info: 4.3 AWD

Postby the_bruce [OP] » May 8th 2021, 1:13am

AstroWill wrote:Pans bolt up the same, just change to the proper filter.
Do you have a picture of your pan and the new drain that you installed, so others can see where not to put the drain?

As far as the bolt, drill it, start with a small pilot and make sure it's centered and straight so you don't damage the threads. Otherwise if there is enough to weld a nut to the remaining bolt, you can use that to remove it.

Thank you, that sounds like a pan plan. And the bolt sheared off just a tad above the bottom of the tranny pan mating surface. I have seen a video where a guy inserted a small section of copper line to shield the threads and he used a mig welder to tack on little bits until it was out of the hole, then welded an old screw driver to the weld. Could do a nut too. Came out easy for him, but I am used to having more trouble with this type of thing.

I was going to try a screw extractor but drilling in the tranny makes me extremely nervous. Would take half a second to go very bad if I got into the threads.

Bruce
Original Poster [OP]
the_bruce
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: the_bruce has been a member for 3 full yearsthe_bruce has been a member for 3 full yearsthe_bruce has been a member for 3 full years

Postby the_bruce [OP] » May 8th 2021, 1:14am

AstroOafAdventurer wrote:I did this a few months back on my then new to me Astro while changing the trans fluid for the first time.
I bought a Dorman deep pan with the plug already in it and matching filter.
Easy peasy.
And this filter:

Great info, :ty:
Original Poster [OP]
the_bruce
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)

Postby the_bruce [OP] » May 8th 2021, 1:19am

SportsBoy wrote:Deep pan works fine, just get a deep filter.

It's too bad you drilled the wrong spot on the original though - did you not put it in the circular depression?

The stock pan was one of the flat ones, no depression except a few lines where the magnet goes. I got ahead of myself installing the drain plug on a rainy day before I could pull the old pan off and get a good look for placement. Thought I'd have enough room on the rear corner of the pan, but au contraire.

I will take pictures of the badly placed drain plug so all can learn from my blunder.

Bruce
Original Poster [OP]
the_bruce
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)

Postby SportsBoy » May 8th 2021, 3:29am

the_bruce wrote:
SportsBoy wrote:Deep pan works fine, just get a deep filter.

The stock pan was one of the flat ones, no depression except a few lines where the magnet goes. I got ahead of myself installing the drain plug on a rainy day before I could pull the old pan off and get a good look for placement. Thought I'd have enough room on the rear corner of the pan, but au contraire.

I will take pictures of the badly placed drain plug so all can learn from my blunder.

Bruce

Ah, gotcha - I couldn't remember what the original pan looked like
SportsBoy
Years of Membership: SportsBoy has been a member for 3 full yearsSportsBoy has been a member for 3 full yearsSportsBoy has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 24
Alias (AKA): Blake
Extra Info: 4.3 AWD

Postby the_bruce [OP] » May 14th 2021, 9:40pm

:ty: Thanks for the tips! With my latest Amazon delivery I am now loaded for bear... I have got:

-deep pan filter
-Dorman deep pan w/drain pre-installed (quality seems good, drain plug assembly looks reasonably solid and has an aluminum crush washer included)
-new OEM pan bolts
-M8 x 1.25 thread tap in case the two bolt holes with galled threads give me any sass :whack:
-RIDGED screw extractor set for the broken bolt
-and, just in case the bolt extraction or thread chasing goes to hell in a handbasket, a helicoil kit.

Not messing around this time. This van WILL be on the road this weekend come hell or high water. :rockon:

Just in case the helicoil is necessary, does anyone have any tips for installing in aluminum? Some sites say use thread cutting oil, some say use special aluminum oil, some say don't use any at all in soft metals which concerns me a little.

-Bruce
Original Poster [OP]
the_bruce
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)