Transmission Replacement Choices..

Transmission Replacement Choices..

Postby nicksrug [OP] » July 21st 2021, 11:36pm

Hey Yall - Just started posting on this forum and you guys rock. Im having trouble deciding on a mode of action for replacing my trans, hopefully you might be willing to read my long post and give your opinions/expertise.

160k, I burnt the 3/4 clutch pack.
I'll do a lot of work myself on the van but honestly don't want to touch the transmission.
I figured, I'll just buy a reman online and have it shipped (never before having done this) - I immediately encountered a never ending stream of mildly to very sketchy sites quoting me everything from 900$ to over 3000$ for a rebuilt 4L60E RWD trans. Warranty claims were just as wild.

After sifting through my options further my best thoughts are the following..

MAD DOG Transmission - company out of GA that seems to be legit and do a lot of business, though research online has shown there are PLENTY of dissatisfied customers from the past. The warranty is only a year and does not include shipping. But.. its affordable and theoretically a performance model. That sounds nice to me since I've been trying to go with high quality high performance replacements when ever I put new parts in.

I don't know much about transmissions and what is important but this is what they have to say about it...

"Level 2, 4L60E/4L65E transmission and H-D converter Rated to hold up to 500HP, vary strong and relliable great for everyday use. This transmission is 35 to 40% stronger than OEM. Transmission comes with tail housing.
Features

New Force Motor
New Shift Solenoids
New 3/2 Downshift Solenoid
New TCC Solenoids
New Pressure Manifold and a Special Valve that is Specifically made for the GM Code 1870 (Which is Very Common on These Particular Units)
All Mad Dog Transmissions are completely rebuilt and come with a Master Overhaul Kit which includes:

All New Lip Seals
All New Gaskets
All New Teflon Rings
New Filter
All New Steels
All New Bushings
All New Raybestos Clutch Discs
All New Sprags
This Level 2 transmission comes with an Mad Dog Reprogramming update kit, Mad Dog shift kit, and Raybestos clutches (replaces factory clutches in the 3-4 drum) all Raybestos high temp high energy clutches throughout the rest of the unit, all new steels, band, bushings, and rings.

A 500 boost valve, 13 vane pump rotor. We also use 4140 hardened pump rings, TEFLON pump bushing, a 29 element sprag, over-sized hardened sun gear shell (which is three times thicker than factory), 4 pinion planetary gear (which has also been cold-freezed to withstand more horsepower and torque), high-temp Pro-series, Kevlar band with corvette servo.

We discard the oem factory, plastic accumulators and run aluminum accumulators to ensure a quality shift every time.

"

found them on ebay.. and they quoted me $1295 on the phone incl. shipping - seems to be a good price for a "better than stock" trans.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/174840571561?h ... SwTFNZcOD0

I also got a quote from Powertrain Products, which seemed to have a better reputation online, though not perfect. Also offering a 5 year warranty. My quote was 1700 incl. shipping - definitely more towards the stock end of a rebuild though as far as I can tell

I also could go with one of the local craigslist guys near me, just might be hassle getting the van there but sounds like I could get a basically rebuild and R&R for 1500 from a guy about 2 hours from me if I can get it there. Hah.

What do you guys think about those features? What is important? Any knowledge of Mad Dog or Powertrain Products? Or does anyone have any leads on solid rebuilds/remans that are affordable? I'd love to get my van back on the road and this has so far been a JOURNEY.

-rugs
Original Poster [OP]
nicksrug
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA): LitLeo
Van Model Year: 2005
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: RWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Transmission Replacement Cost?
    by vanman4life » April 25th 2021, 12:51am in Automatic
    1 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    April 25th 2021, 8:45pm
  • Transmission
    by Alex237 » February 7th 2021, 8:10pm in Automatic
    1 Replies
    Last post by sixsix View the latest post
    February 7th 2021, 11:28pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    August 2nd 2021, 6:58pm

Re: Transmission Replacement Choices..

Postby Bikley » July 23rd 2021, 9:03pm

I rebuilt my own and I'm about to rebuild a stage 2 similar to what Mad Dog is offering for my V8 swap. It really isn't as bad as you would think and it's cheaper. Here's an excellent video series with step by step instructions that will at least take the mystery out of rebuilding it yourself.
https://youtu.be/SK84Qy_Vu_E

If you decide to buy one already built and install it yourself, the one from Mad Dog seems to be a pretty good deal.
Bikley
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Bikley has been a member for 3 full yearsBikley has been a member for 3 full yearsBikley has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 26
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: AWD Vin W

Postby markmitch » July 23rd 2021, 11:03pm

I agree if you are mechanically inclined , I rebuilt my 700R4 a few years ago and did the upgrades and I have never even been to mechanic school.
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L7)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L7)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full years
Topics: 641
Alias (AKA): 1st gen or frankenvan
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS V8 AWD

Postby SportsBoy » July 24th 2021, 1:15am

That mad dog seems almost too good to be true.... only thing I don't see is new valve body separator plate, which is a somewhat common wear item on the 4l60e it seems
SportsBoy
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: SportsBoy has been a member for 3 full yearsSportsBoy has been a member for 3 full yearsSportsBoy has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 26
Alias (AKA): Blake
Van Model Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4.3 AWD

Postby Leeann_93 » July 25th 2021, 6:14pm

I hate videos and prefer step-by-step instructions with pics.

I use this site:
http://www.wwdsltd.com/4L60/4L60ERemoval.html

Also, I recently uploaded

ATSG 4L60E.pdf
ATSG 4L60E update.pdf
ATRA-4L60 Rebuild (GM 700R4).pdf
4L60E partslist.pdf
34145767-4L60E.pdf (has color flowcharts and stuff)

In a zip file to ZippyShare. All are welcome to download...

Code: Select all
https://www3.zippyshare.com/v/dEDECa5N/file.html
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 45
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby AstroWill » July 26th 2021, 6:56pm

If you aren't going to do the installation yourself. I would contract with whoever is going to do the installation that way you are SURE that the labor is covered in addition to the parts.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 109
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches