"service awd" light. Problem solved!

Re: "service awd" light. Problem solved!

Postby Carol » November 12th 2015, 6:33pm

You guys are great! I'm not mechanically inclined, but I was able to find, RIGHT ON THIS FORUM, discussions about the clicking symptoms when turning key "on" in ignition, (1999 GMC Safari, AWD, just purchased a few weeks ago), along with "Service AWD" light going on, (on lower left of dashboard)---and those symptoms thanks to you guys, was apparently pointing towards my Safari having a bad "encoder motor" (of Transfer Case).

I was going to FIRST have the transfer case Auto Track II fluid changed, but a little voice in my head (thanks to you all!) said--ask my local mechanic to run his code machine on my minivan, BEFORE getting the new fluid put in:

So, this morning, I asked my local mechanic in Granby, CO (Mike) to check codes, and "voila!", his excellent code machine said:

C0310, Motor A/B Circuit Open!!! That was what others here have already kindly shared, about resistance problems (goes over my head, regarding exact particulars) between A & B on the transfer case "encoder motor"!!!

Mike ordered a NAPA re-manufactured (NOT Dorman!!) Transfer Case ENCODER MOTOR, and he will put it in, along with brand new transfer case fluid, tomorrow morning! He thinks the clicking sound, when key is turned on, in ignition, might be coming from the TCCM (Transfer Case Control Module), located low down on the left, near the interior fuse box.

I just want to thank you all, again, for your great and generous comments here! I too, will let you know how long the "new" Transfer Case ENCODER MOTOR lasts!
Carol
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: Carol has been a member for 6 full yearsCarol has been a member for 6 full yearsCarol has been a member for 6 full yearsCarol has been a member for 6 full yearsCarol has been a member for 6 full yearsCarol has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1999
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: AWD 4.3 L

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • 1997 AWD - can you assist re my trans/ xfer case
    by swing » October 26th 2020, 6:01am in Automatic
    10 Replies
    Last post by sixsix View the latest post
    October 29th 2020, 10:44pm
  • Where to get 2005 AWD shifter cable ?
    by astrofinland » January 5th 2021, 4:50pm in Automatic
    1 Replies
    Last post by astrofinland View the latest post
    January 7th 2021, 3:01pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    February 25th 2021, 12:25pm

Postby AstroWill » November 13th 2015, 8:53am

Carol wrote:He thinks the clicking sound, when key is turned on, in ignition, might be coming from the TCCM (Transfer Case Control Module), located low down on the left, near the interior fuse box.

That clicking is the tell tale sign of a bad encoder motor. There are cheap bluetooth scanners that you can get for $20something from Amazon(even cheaper if you want to get it shipped from overseas) that will read those codes for you on your phone/tablet. I use Scan Gauge Pro ($4) from play.google.com on my Android tablet/phone, it has the extended codes as well as all the standard stuff.

JuneauCabbie wrote:As soon as I have a little extra cash, I'm buying an UltraGauge, mentioned in another thread here. See http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/index.htm

I wanted a tach, but this not only has a digital tach, but a full scanner, including the ability to reset codes. And only $60!

The wired one is a decent deal, but screw them on their bluetooth version they are freaking insane, $80 my ***. If you shop around you can get a bluetooth adapter for under $20 and then choose your own software.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business.
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby romeroom » September 17th 2016, 6:17pm

I realize this is an old post. But just in case (no pun intended)

I have also been getting a Service AWD light on. Two questions:

1. Is it a encoder motor replacement a difficult repair to do?

2. At a local Oil and Lube place, I was told the differential and transfer case fluid are the same. Does not sound right? Please confirm.

Thanks.
'2002 Astro LS, AWD, 41k miles, "W" VIN
romeroom
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: romeroom has been a member for 11 full yearsromeroom has been a member for 11 full yearsromeroom has been a member for 11 full yearsromeroom has been a member for 11 full yearsromeroom has been a member for 11 full yearsromeroom has been a member for 11 full yearsromeroom has been a member for 11 full yearsromeroom has been a member for 11 full yearsromeroom has been a member for 11 full yearsromeroom has been a member for 11 full yearsromeroom has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2002
Extra Info: AWD 76000 miles

Postby thegreenmachine » September 17th 2016, 9:26pm

romeroom wrote:I realize this is an old post. But just in case (no pun intended)

I have also been getting a Service AWD light on. Two questions:

1. Is it a encoder motor replacement a difficult repair to do?

2. At a local Oil and Lube place, I was told the differential and transfer case fluid are the same. Does not sound right? Please confirm.

Thanks.

Yes it's fairly easy to do. You have to unbolt the front prop shaft to get at the 3 bolts.

10mm and 15mm iirc.

The transfer case takes autotracII, not gear oil, or atf.

Rear diff in my 2003 takes 75/90 synthetic and the front diff is standard 80/90 gear oil.
"that looks legit"

03 4WD Astro 6" lift NP233 4x4 t-case 245/75/16 ets trail master mud tires
95 AWD Safari money pit
99 AWD Safari crashed and crushed
97 Safari Cargo sold 447,000km
thegreenmachine
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: thegreenmachine has been a member for 11 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 11 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 11 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 11 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 11 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 11 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 11 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 11 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 11 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 11 full yearsthegreenmachine has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 62
Alias (AKA): Shane a lane
Van Model Year: 2003
Extra Info: Lifted 4x4 233 tcase

Postby AstroWill » September 19th 2016, 10:05am

romeroom wrote:I have also been getting a Service AWD light on.

Just having an AWD light on does not mean that the encoder motor is bad, even though their failure is quite common, you should always check the codes and do a diagnosis.

romeroom wrote:2. At a local Oil and Lube place, I was told the differential and transfer case fluid are the same. Does not sound right? Please confirm.

This is why you should do your own work. This kind of information is in the user manual viewforum.php?f=110

Here is an example of one of mine:
example.png
user manual
example.png (146.82 KiB) Viewed 1180 times

Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years

Postby romeroom » September 26th 2016, 2:34am

Thanks to all of you who have responded.

The "Service AWD" light is on now all of the time. I have a cheap OBDII scanner and it says nothing about the Service AWD light. I also get the clicking in lower left near the driver's feet upon key ignition.

1. What else do I need to do to confirm it is a bad encoder motor? I don't really feel like taking it to the dealer to have them charge me $50 - $100 to connect a specialty scanner and read the code.

2. Major stupid question: If I end up replacing the encoder motor, do I need to remove the old transf fluid?
'2002 Astro LS, AWD, 41k miles, "W" VIN
romeroom
Years of Membership: romeroom has been a member for 11 full yearsromeroom has been a member for 11 full yearsromeroom has been a member for 11 full yearsromeroom has been a member for 11 full yearsromeroom has been a member for 11 full yearsromeroom has been a member for 11 full yearsromeroom has been a member for 11 full yearsromeroom has been a member for 11 full yearsromeroom has been a member for 11 full yearsromeroom has been a member for 11 full yearsromeroom has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2002
Extra Info: AWD 76000 miles

Postby AstroWill » September 28th 2016, 6:43am

1. That clicking is quite the indicator, it's pretty much confirmed right there. You have to use a tool/software combo that does the extended codes, a lot of the cheap handheld ones don't do the extended codes. See my sig link for what I use(bluetooth adapter and ScanGaugePro). or viewtopic.php?f=70&t=23185
2. No, you don't.

AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Previous