Bubbles in Transmission Fluid...not working

Bubbles in Transmission Fluid...not working

Postby guitarjam6 [OP] » February 18th 2011, 1:14am

Oddly enough, there are very small bubbles in the trans fluid, and it's a very light pinkish color, as opposed to the blood red color it had when it went in.

Background. Van hasn't been drivin in 3 months since it stopped shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear. I put a new shift solenoid, some new fluid, and cranked her up today. It only moves, EVER SO SLIGHTLY, when you rev the crap out of it. You can feel it pull just a hair. You can't feel anything engage at all when you shift through the gears. Could this be caused by the transfilter not being seated in the trans all the way. It felt like it was when I put the pan on, but it was in there kind of gentle. Is there enough space for the filter to fall in the pan when the pan is completely tightened and on? Before the solenoid, it pulled in reverse, 1st and 2nd, and just wouldn't shift into 3rd. The only difference I see now is the color and bubbles in the trans fluid.

Anyone have any experience or insight with this? Thanks for your help.
Original Poster [OP]
guitarjam6
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: guitarjam6 has been a member for 11 full yearsguitarjam6 has been a member for 11 full yearsguitarjam6 has been a member for 11 full yearsguitarjam6 has been a member for 11 full yearsguitarjam6 has been a member for 11 full yearsguitarjam6 has been a member for 11 full yearsguitarjam6 has been a member for 11 full yearsguitarjam6 has been a member for 11 full yearsguitarjam6 has been a member for 11 full yearsguitarjam6 has been a member for 11 full yearsguitarjam6 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 4.3L CPI AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • 1989 4.3 Trans Fluid Capacity
    by Slime » October 19th 2020, 5:30pm in Automatic
    2 Replies
    Last post by Slime View the latest post
    October 19th 2020, 6:50pm
  • Changing tranny fluid on low miles safari
    by JusticeIroquois » January 3rd 2021, 6:26pm in Automatic
    16 Replies
    Last post by mdconvert View the latest post
    January 5th 2021, 1:09pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    February 26th 2021, 5:14pm

Re: Bubbles in Transmission Fluid...not working

Postby redfury » February 21st 2011, 7:54pm

guitarjam6 wrote:Oddly enough, there are very small bubbles in the trans fluid, and it's a very light pinkish color, as opposed to the blood red color it had when it went in.

Background. Van hasn't been drivin in 3 months since it stopped shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear. I put a new shift solenoid, some new fluid, and cranked her up today. It only moves, EVER SO SLIGHTLY, when you rev the crap out of it. You can feel it pull just a hair. You can't feel anything engage at all when you shift through the gears. Could this be caused by the transfilter not being seated in the trans all the way. It felt like it was when I put the pan on, but it was in there kind of gentle. Is there enough space for the filter to fall in the pan when the pan is completely tightened and on? Before the solenoid, it pulled in reverse, 1st and 2nd, and just wouldn't shift into 3rd. The only difference I see now is the color and bubbles in the trans fluid.

Anyone have any experience or insight with this? Thanks for your help.

You are aerating the fluid. Good chance it's the filter, why not take off the pan ( even though it is a pain ) and make sure? Did you change the filter to a new one, or did you reuse the old one? I'll assume it's a new one. You have to make sure you are using the CORRECT filter, and that it is installed all the way. Generally though, bubbles in the fluid mean something is leaking and allowing air into the pump. If air is getting into the pump, AIR can compress which will drop your line pressure to nil and you won't go anywhere. I'm willing to bet you made a minor mistake when you were in there fixing it and forgot an o-ring/similar.
A temporary fix usually becomes a permanent solution, therefore it does not exist.
doghouse removal by me!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIJ0kuROlbU
redfury
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: redfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 53
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: LT 5.7L 4wd

Re: Bubbles in Transmission Fluid...not working

Postby Phantom » February 21st 2011, 8:48pm

When trans fluid overheats it will also cause bubbles in the fluid , overfilling can sometimes cause it too
Phantom
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: Phantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 15
Alias (AKA):