Replaced the 1-2 solenoid in the 4L60E no difference

Re: Replaced the 1-2 solenoid in the 4L60E no difference

Postby redfury » April 18th 2011, 2:13am

a2l1 wrote:Well it seems I am in idiot !! It had nothing to do with warming up at all. I forgot to recheck the trans fluid after the initial refill( 2 1/2 quarts) after replacing the filter. I rechecked the trans with it warm and running -- lo and behold it was a full quart and a half low. I added enough to bring it to the midrange mark(almost to the full when hot) and then went for another spin. It is shifting a little hard in the 1-2 shift and you can feel the rest of the shifts but nothing drastic or bad. So it is not shifting butter smooth but it is positive and not really harsh. I can live with it. I will recheck the fluid again tomorrow after a drive. Thanks everyone for all the help. When/if I get the resources to replace the trans I will attempt a rebuild of this one. It may be fun especially since I have a manual now for reference, thanks again Paul.

If and when you decide to rebuild, there are some really good youtube videos for rebuilding this particular transmission...one in particular was a guy rebuilding the tranny in his driveway....good to be able to see how to physically do it, and what some of the problems are when doing it yourself, as well as being able to see good vs bad parts.
A temporary fix usually becomes a permanent solution, therefore it does not exist.
doghouse removal by me!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIJ0kuROlbU
redfury
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: redfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 53
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1998
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LT 5.7L 4wd

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Postby Leeann_93 » April 18th 2011, 2:19am

And a step-by-step, with pictures here:

http://www.wwdsltd.com/4L60/4L60ERepairs.html
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby a2l1 [OP] » April 21st 2011, 6:43am

Thanks. I may be able to get a"bad" tranny from a friend. Thinking about taking that one apart to see if I can make it right. If I can actually do it then I will put it in the van, Do the one from the van later and just keep it as a spare part.
1995 Regency conversion really a work in progress !!
Hernando County - West Central Florida
Original Poster [OP]
a2l1
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: a2l1 has been a member for 10 full yearsa2l1 has been a member for 10 full yearsa2l1 has been a member for 10 full yearsa2l1 has been a member for 10 full yearsa2l1 has been a member for 10 full yearsa2l1 has been a member for 10 full yearsa2l1 has been a member for 10 full yearsa2l1 has been a member for 10 full yearsa2l1 has been a member for 10 full yearsa2l1 has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 73
Alias (AKA): A J
Extra Info: 4.3-auto-RWD

Postby a2l1 [OP] » May 2nd 2011, 4:49am

Just a note here. I have finally cleared all the error codes on the van. It shows no error codes at all now. It is running fine and getting really decent gas mileage(19+) but the tranny still has a harder than normal shift from 1 to 2. It makes no difference if I start with the shifter in overdrive or in drive, still a harder than normal 1 to 2 shift. Replacing the shift solenoid for the one-two shift has made no difference either, as mentioned earlier. So the problem is in the tranny. I am going the route of rebuilding another trans while driving with this one and will swap when the other trans is done.
i will take photos every step along the way

A J
1995 Regency conversion really a work in progress !!
Hernando County - West Central Florida
Original Poster [OP]
a2l1
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Years of Membership: a2l1 has been a member for 10 full yearsa2l1 has been a member for 10 full yearsa2l1 has been a member for 10 full yearsa2l1 has been a member for 10 full yearsa2l1 has been a member for 10 full yearsa2l1 has been a member for 10 full yearsa2l1 has been a member for 10 full yearsa2l1 has been a member for 10 full yearsa2l1 has been a member for 10 full yearsa2l1 has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 73
Alias (AKA): A J
Extra Info: 4.3-auto-RWD

Postby drmmhmd » August 5th 2011, 4:13am

so how did it all play out? did you check the Pressure control valve?
drmmhmd
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: drmmhmd has been a member for 9 full yearsdrmmhmd has been a member for 9 full yearsdrmmhmd has been a member for 9 full yearsdrmmhmd has been a member for 9 full yearsdrmmhmd has been a member for 9 full yearsdrmmhmd has been a member for 9 full yearsdrmmhmd has been a member for 9 full yearsdrmmhmd has been a member for 9 full yearsdrmmhmd has been a member for 9 full years
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: AWD 400 CID

Postby redfury » August 5th 2011, 5:45am

a2l1 wrote:Just a note here. I have finally cleared all the error codes on the van. It shows no error codes at all now. It is running fine and getting really decent gas mileage(19+) but the tranny still has a harder than normal shift from 1 to 2. It makes no difference if I start with the shifter in overdrive or in drive, still a harder than normal 1 to 2 shift. Replacing the shift solenoid for the one-two shift has made no difference either, as mentioned earlier. So the problem is in the tranny. I am going the route of rebuilding another trans while driving with this one and will swap when the other trans is done.
i will take photos every step along the way

A J

Well, if that's the case, then I would suspect something in the valve body is causing pressure to increase on the 1-2 circuit. You may want to just remove and replace the valve body with the "junk" transmission valve body after thoroughly cleaning it and reassembling it ( think "clean room environment" )...doesn't take much more than a check ball that is hanging up in there to cause things to go awry.
A temporary fix usually becomes a permanent solution, therefore it does not exist.
doghouse removal by me!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIJ0kuROlbU
redfury
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Years of Membership: redfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 53
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: LT 5.7L 4wd

Previous