Transmission code p0894

Transmission code p0894

Postby mhlebak [OP] » June 26th 2011, 3:20am

Hello I am a first time poster, I have been reading this forum for a while now and can typically find answers from the archives but not in this situation. I have a 2005 AWD Astro with 303k miles(was a cross country delivery vehicle). It had the transmission rebuilt around 190k by previous owner. The code given is P0894 is there any difference between that and the 1870? The service engine light was on for about 100 miles before major malfunction and the only symptom of a problem was a slight hesitation between 50-55, it kinda felt like hitting a bump in the road but no bump. At that point I didnt think too much into it the van is due for plugs and wires and I had a similar feeling with the drive when I had to replace a rotor. I realized it was something different when out of nowhere after a stop sign I was stuck in neutral, i went through all gear drive function at all. I turned off the van checked fluids every thing was within normal range, turned van back on and it shifted normally untill I got to my destination about 1 mile away from break down point. When I had to drive it home it started out normal shifted through all gears then at my second stop it went into neutral mode again. I stopped engine restarted and was good until the next stop, repeated this for 15 miles until home. I dont have the money for a tow or to pay someone to fix it so I am pretty much stuck. I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this problem, it doesn't seem like there is mechanical damage it ran perfect up until the problem and when I go out and start it it shift through fine(i havent tried to drive out of driveway so only PNRD1st). I am capable of taking off the pan to service anything that is accessible but im going to have to make it a beautiful lawn ornament if its going to require removal :banghead: :banghead: . Sorry for long post if anyone can point me to the right information i would greatly appreciated it I have been stuck at home with the kids for a week :screaming:
Original Poster [OP]
mhlebak
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: mhlebak has been a member for 9 full yearsmhlebak has been a member for 9 full yearsmhlebak has been a member for 9 full yearsmhlebak has been a member for 9 full yearsmhlebak has been a member for 9 full yearsmhlebak has been a member for 9 full yearsmhlebak has been a member for 9 full yearsmhlebak has been a member for 9 full yearsmhlebak has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • What year is this 4l60e transmission/ is it interchangeable?
    by allenstoltzfus » January 14th 2021, 7:37pm in Automatic
    11 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    January 20th 2021, 7:06pm
  • Transmission
    by Alex237 » February 7th 2021, 8:10pm in Automatic
    1 Replies
    Last post by sixsix View the latest post
    February 7th 2021, 11:28pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    April 12th 2021, 7:23am

Re: Transmission code p0894

Postby Leeann_93 » June 26th 2011, 3:22pm

From an online posting:

08-07-30-008: Diagnostic Information on Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0894 and P1870 - (Feb 26, 2008)

Subject: Diagnostic Information on Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0894 and P1870

Models: 2002-2007 GM Passenger Cars with 4L60-E, 4L65-E or 4L70-E Automatic Transmission (RPOs M30, M32 or M70)

Diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) P0894 and P1870, Transmission Component Slipping, may have different root causes. The following diagnostic tips are provided to assist in accurately repairing the condition.

• Corporate Bulletin Number 06-07-30-007 is intended for 2006 vehicles only. This bulletin provides diagnostic procedures to determine if the TCC enable solenoid is cracked.

• Slip speeds ranging from approximately 100 to 400 RPM at steady state light load driving are usually caused by the TCC not applying.

• Slip speeds greater than about 400 RPM at steady state driving are usually caused by a slipping clutch or band. Inspect the oil pan for the presence of excess clutch debris.

• A plugged or restricted TCC apply fluid orifice (238, located in the pump) may cause DTC P0894 or P1870, especially in low mileage vehicles with less than 8,000 km (5,000 mi).

• A converter clutch valve (224, located in the pump), which does not have full travel of 13 mm (0.5 in) or is stuck in the off position may cause DTC P0894 or P1870. Inspect the valve for chips, debris, nicks or burrs.

Also, inspect the springs (225 and 226) to make sure they are not limiting valve travel. A spring that is not fully wound may catch in the bore, limit valve travel and cause DTC P0894 or P1870.

• A cracked or leaking TCC solenoid (part of harness 66) may cause DTC P0894 or P1870. Use solenoid test kit J 44246 to test the operation of this solenoid.

• A cracked or leaking TCC PWM solenoid (396) may also cause DTC P0894 or P1870.

• If the vehicle has 24,000 miles (38,600 km) or more, and diagnostics have not determined another cause of the DTC, the torque converter should be replaced.

When attempting to diagnose a DTC P0894 or P1870, it is important to also refer to the appropriate Service Information (SI) document for further possible causes of this condition.

Having said all of that, have you checked your tranny fluid? What color is it? How does it smell? Have you checked the tranny cooler lines for heat - to see if the cooler's plugged? When's the last time the fluid and filter were changed? If the filter is clogged, that reduces fluid flow and makes things slip, increasing heat....
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

Re: Transmission code p0894

Postby mhlebak [OP] » June 27th 2011, 1:51am

Thanks for the info. The fluid hasn't been changed since the rebuild, I am going to open up the pan hopefully tomorrow and evaluate the situation and change the filter. I did notice that a set of wires running near the shift linkage has been rubbing on the front drive shaft(the plastic shell that protects the wires wore through but wires dont seem damaged with the small window I had). Hoping I don't find lots of metal, dipstick had some tiny slivers :( Ill update once I see what going on inside once again thanks.
Original Poster [OP]
mhlebak
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: mhlebak has been a member for 9 full yearsmhlebak has been a member for 9 full yearsmhlebak has been a member for 9 full yearsmhlebak has been a member for 9 full yearsmhlebak has been a member for 9 full yearsmhlebak has been a member for 9 full yearsmhlebak has been a member for 9 full yearsmhlebak has been a member for 9 full yearsmhlebak has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: AWD