Found a rebuilt tranny on craigslist...

Found a rebuilt tranny on craigslist...

Postby SportsBoy [OP] » December 21st 2017, 6:23am

Alright, this turned out to be really long and complicated and confusing - but bear with me. I've been researching how to do a rebuild of my transmission, but today came across this on Craigslist - https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/pts/d ... 80596.html - An Astro AWD 2000 Rebuilt transmission nearby.

I have an AWD 1997 4l60e with the 2 piece bellhousing and the shallow pan (I've also found that '97 seems to be the only year with both the 2-piece and the shallow pan (I think) interestingly enough). The case # of the transmission on the drivers' side is 24200873.

Based off of these things I've looked at, I am getting conflicting answers about whether this swap would work -
https://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/t ... tic/4l60e/
viewtopic.php?f=70&t=1535
viewtopic.php?f=70&t=43154
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2tp8uo3Fs
viewtopic.php?f=70&t=526

This last link is extra confusing - gtkane says he's a GM transmission tech, and that the 4l65e came about when the 4l60e changed to the two piece housing, but http://www.700r4transmissionhq.com/diff ... nsmission/ and others I've read say the change to 4l65e happened in 2001. So, other than maybe the towing mode button happening in 2000, I can't tell if there are any major differences. Even if the bellhousings were slightly different, couldn't I just use the bellhousing from the old trans, if only the bolt holes on the engine side of the housing changed?

Further confusion - the guy in the transmission bench video says that if I have a shallow pan, I should have a one-piece tranny case, but I was under by van to make sure earlier, and definitely don't have a one-piece. He then says that the 2000-up trannys are 4l65e and have a slightly longer bell housing (and the one he has as an example has the bolt hole at 12 o'clock). But the year 2000 transmission in the cl ad doesn't have the 12 o'clock bolt hole. This erodes my trust in what he's saying, which doesn't help. Or maybe the ad is wrong....

It seems like nobody agrees what changes were made and when - 1997 and 2000 were both years that some things changed, theoretically, but can those changes be easily mitigated and compatibility achieved easily enough? It seems like the biggest difference (according to some) is the change in the bell housing bolts, but then comparing the novak website and the picture in the ad the added bolt hole on top isn't there like the transmission bench video says it should be, it actually looks like a '98.... so confused.

Any advice from you tranny masters out there on whether this swap would work? This would be a lot easier than rebuilding!

Figuring this out is the first step, I also need to figure out the quality of the tranny rebuild/where he got it done. Going to email the guy and make sure he's not mistaken about it being a 2000 as well while I'm at it.
Original Poster [OP]
SportsBoy
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: SportsBoy has been a member for 3 full yearsSportsBoy has been a member for 3 full yearsSportsBoy has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 24
Alias (AKA): Blake
Van Model Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4.3 AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Changing tranny fluid on low miles safari
    by JusticeIroquois » January 3rd 2021, 6:26pm in Automatic
    16 Replies
    Last post by mdconvert View the latest post
    January 5th 2021, 1:09pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    April 17th 2021, 12:39pm

Re: Found a rebuilt tranny on craigslist...

Postby AstroWill » December 21st 2017, 6:35am

Parts interchange doesn't list it as compatible. Damn that is a sweet deal on a rebuilt transmission, provided it's done right.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 109
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby dramey » December 21st 2017, 10:05am

A '97 van has a different transfer case than a 2000 van. I think the 2000 has more electronic control than '97?
dramey
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: dramey has been a member for 4 full yearsdramey has been a member for 4 full yearsdramey has been a member for 4 full yearsdramey has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: AWD Cargo Van

Postby TurnNburn » December 21st 2017, 5:59pm

dramey wrote:A '97 van has a different transfer case than a 2000 van. I think the 2000 has more electronic control than '97?

But the t case from a 2000 will fit on a 1997 and vise versa. My parts van is a 97 and my van is a 2000 so I know from personal experience that at least that part interchanges.
2000 Astro- Camperized, bumpers, lifted, LS 5.3 V8, 4x4 T-case, Truetrac rear locker, 31x10.5x15 BFG KO2's
"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes"
Build thread- https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?t=103066"
TurnNburn
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Green Status (L4)
Green Status (L4)
Years of Membership: TurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): iGoogle
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: 5.3 4x4 Overlander

Postby CopperFiremistCopperFiremist is online! » December 21st 2017, 7:41pm

It will work just fine. He is talking about Trucks with LS style engines that is where the change occurred to a 300mm input shaft and bigger bell housing to accommodate a bigger torque converter. Oh and not everything you read on the Internet is correct.
Pullin The Pass
CopperFiremistCopperFiremist is online!
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L2)
Years of Membership: CopperFiremist has been a member for 6 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 6 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 6 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 6 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 6 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 25
Alias (AKA): B
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: LS Swap

Postby SportsBoy [OP] » December 27th 2017, 5:21pm

Copper - even if it physically will bolt on no problem, are you sure there's nothing funky to watch out for on the electronics side of things?

Update: Found out the tranny was rebuilt by Precision Transmission Group in Texas - not sure if he got it off ebay, but here's their listing for a 2000 awd astro 4l60e - https://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-Chevrolet ... 2422823790

They give more info on the tranny rebuild here - http://vi.vipr.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAP ... cureDesc=0

And the company has great reviews on ebay overall. Not sure if the guy selling the tranny sent in his old core, and thus validated the warranty, but if he didn't, I'll just use it to haggle some money off the price.

Anyone think I should do anything other than go for it?

Thanks all!
Original Poster [OP]
SportsBoy
Years of Membership: SportsBoy has been a member for 3 full yearsSportsBoy has been a member for 3 full yearsSportsBoy has been a member for 3 full years

Postby CopperFiremistCopperFiremist is online! » December 27th 2017, 6:53pm

1996-2004 Astro/Safari used the same 4L60E Transmission.
Pullin The Pass
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: CopperFiremist has been a member for 6 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 6 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 6 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 6 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 6 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 6 full years

Postby 1lowcab » December 27th 2017, 7:44pm

Any advice from you tranny masters

:shock: That just reads funny!!!

:rofl:
1lowcab
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: 1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 58
Alias (AKA):

Postby AstroWill » December 27th 2017, 9:05pm

1lowcab wrote:
Any advice from you tranny masters

:shock: That just reads funny!!!

:rofl:

:rofl: :rofl:

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years

Postby AstroWill » December 27th 2017, 9:06pm

SportsBoy wrote:Update: Found out the tranny was rebuilt by Precision Transmission Group in Texas - not sure if he got it off ebay, but here's their listing for a 2000 awd astro 4l60e - https://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-Chevrolet ... 2422823790

Give them a call!

AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby SportsBoy [OP] » December 27th 2017, 9:36pm

CopperFiremist wrote:1996-2004 Astro/Safari used the same 4L60E Transmission.

Ok, so the difference with the 298 vs 300mm torque converter and input shaft (and the 3/4in longer bellhousing on the 2000+ transmissions) is only on LS style trucks (aka v8's pretty much, right?).

I think I'm going to go for it in that case - haven't found anything specifically proving you wrong Copper, found someone who said 1996-2008 are compatible tho - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/show ... ?p=7878499
Original Poster [OP]
SportsBoy

Postby SportsBoy [OP] » December 27th 2017, 9:37pm

AstroWill wrote:
SportsBoy wrote:Update: Found out the tranny was rebuilt by Precision Transmission Group in Texas - not sure if he got it off ebay, but here's their listing for a 2000 awd astro 4l60e - https://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-Chevrolet ... 2422823790

Give them a call!

Fair point - I called a shop around here that I thought he was referring to, but didn't even think about calling Texas haha - will do, thanks.
Original Poster [OP]
SportsBoy

Postby SportsBoy [OP] » December 28th 2017, 12:05am

Called the rebuild company- sounds like they do a good rebuild. Upgraded shift kit, booster valve, separator plate, sunshell, frictions, and other stuff. All new gaskets, bushings, and all that jazz of course. Also check/test everything else and replace if needed.

Sounds good to me! Gonna see if I can grab it soon - thanks for the help!
Original Poster [OP]
SportsBoy

Postby AstroWill » December 28th 2017, 12:16am

And did you ask them if there were differences that would make it not match up?

AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby TurnNburn » December 28th 2017, 12:24am

AstroWill wrote:And did you ask them if there were differences that would make it not match up?

:text-yeahthat:

I mean, it might be one hellofa rebuild, but it will it work in your car?
2000 Astro- Camperized, bumpers, lifted, LS 5.3 V8, 4x4 T-case, Truetrac rear locker, 31x10.5x15 BFG KO2's
"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes"
Build thread- https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?t=103066"
TurnNburn
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Green Status (L4)
Green Status (L4)
Years of Membership: TurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): iGoogle
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: 5.3 4x4 Overlander

Postby CopperFiremistCopperFiremist is online! » December 28th 2017, 12:34am

If it was a 300mm shaft it would have a center bolt hole on the top of the Bell Housing.

http://www.powerperformancenews.com/tec ... nsmission/
Pullin The Pass
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby AstroWill » December 28th 2017, 8:35am

It should bolt up just fine. I'm sure that it's something silly why they don't list it as compatible in the interchange. But a call to the transmission shop that rebuilt it should be able to tell you, might help to have the tag numbers handy.

A quick glance shows that the torque converter is different in the 96-97 vs 98-04. Other than that, they look the same to me.

AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby SportsBoy [OP] » January 4th 2018, 10:33pm

TurnNburn wrote:
AstroWill wrote:And did you ask them if there were differences that would make it not match up?

:text-yeahthat:

I mean, it might be one hellofa rebuild, but it will it work in your car?

Yup, the rebuild company said the 2000 tranny will work in a 1997, so we good! Going to pick it up Saturday I believe. :bouncy:
Original Poster [OP]
SportsBoy

Postby SportsBoy [OP] » January 4th 2018, 10:43pm

CopperFiremist wrote:If it was a 300mm shaft it would have a center bolt hole on the top of the Bell Housing.

http://www.powerperformancenews.com/tec ... nsmission/

Yeah, the tranny I'm buying doesn't have the top bolt hole, so I must be good. Initially, I thought every tranny after 1998 would have it, so I was confused as to why this 2000 didn't. You helped clarify that the top bolt hole was only for the LS style engines and the astro/safari bellhousing didn't change at that time like others- thanks for the help!

Also, Will, I think the material inside the tc might have changed, but not the fitment. When the 3/4in longer bellhousing was introduced (1998 I think...?), the torque converter went from 298 to 300mm, but since the bellhousing on our vans didn't change, we're not affected by this. This is what I've come to believe from my research at least.
Original Poster [OP]
SportsBoy