Transmission cooler questions!

Transmission cooler questions!

Postby KC10Chief [OP] » November 20th 2011, 11:42pm

Okay, I have ANOTHER transmission question! Since my transmission is being rebuilt, I'd like to add a transmission cooler. I like the Hayden coolers from what I've read on here. I have seen the Hayden 679 mentioned several times. However, all of the automotive sites recommend the 678 for my van. Which one do I really need?

Another concern, is that I live in Alaska. Is it bad for the transmission to be too cold? Is over cooling a problem? It was -22 degrees at my house the other night. It hasn't been above -5 all week until today. It finally warmed up to a balmy 7 degrees.

Sorry for all of the constant questions! I just want to make sure that I do this right!
Matt
1997 Safari SLE AWD
74,000 miles
Original Poster [OP]
KC10Chief
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: KC10Chief has been a member for 9 full yearsKC10Chief has been a member for 9 full yearsKC10Chief has been a member for 9 full yearsKC10Chief has been a member for 9 full yearsKC10Chief has been a member for 9 full yearsKC10Chief has been a member for 9 full yearsKC10Chief has been a member for 9 full yearsKC10Chief has been a member for 9 full yearsKC10Chief has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 24
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: Transmission cooler questions!

Postby Philly758 » November 21st 2011, 12:12am

I bought and installed a Long Tru-Cool 4590 (I think thats the model, someone can confirm) transmission cooler over a year ago. I chose this cooler based on recommendations and install pics I found. It was easy to install and seems to be doing its job.

As far as the temperature question, I have no idea.
:auto-gmcredsmiley:
2000 GMC Safari SLE, AWD - 150k+
- Lifted with 22-687 leaf springs and 2" blocks
- Cooper AT3 30x9.5's on Cragar Soft 8's
- Hellwig Rear Sway Bar
- TruCool Trans Cooler
- Corvette Servo
- Moog steering
- Bilstein HD's
- 3.73 G80
Philly758
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Philly758 has been a member for 10 full yearsPhilly758 has been a member for 10 full yearsPhilly758 has been a member for 10 full yearsPhilly758 has been a member for 10 full yearsPhilly758 has been a member for 10 full yearsPhilly758 has been a member for 10 full yearsPhilly758 has been a member for 10 full yearsPhilly758 has been a member for 10 full yearsPhilly758 has been a member for 10 full yearsPhilly758 has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 36
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: SLE AWD

Postby Phantom » November 21st 2011, 12:21am

The 679 is a little bigger , 678 being recommended is likely due to some chart someone made that is on a graduating scale from small to biggest , in spring/summer or towing you will be glad you got the 679 it size is about 11in x 11 in .....

As long as you route the lines for your cooler from the top radiator transmission line...connect brass fitting into the radiator run hose from there out to the external cooler then out of the cooler then back to that trans line you disconnected , you will be fine
I have some pics if needed

Use these brass fittings to connect the cooler

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp ... 5728376___
Attachments
Trans cooler fittings.JPG
Trans cooler fittings.JPG (50.56 KiB) Viewed 3795 times
Last edited by Phantom on November 21st 2011, 12:24am, edited 1 time in total.
Phantom
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: Phantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 15
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro

Postby redfury » November 21st 2011, 12:23am

It's not terrible to run a transmission cool, but you have to warm up the fluid enough in order for the hydraulics to work properly, otherwise you are going to have a sluggish transmission. As along as you are running the transmission lines through both the radiator and then the tranny cooler, then you are good to go. I believe if you really want to go wild, you can get a set up that will open up the external cooler only after the transmission reaches a certain temperature, but that would be for extreme conditions ( of course, you kinda fit that bill up there! )
A temporary fix usually becomes a permanent solution, therefore it does not exist.
doghouse removal by me!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIJ0kuROlbU
redfury
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: redfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 53
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: LT 5.7L 4wd

Postby KC10Chief [OP] » November 21st 2011, 12:34am

Awesome! I found the 679 and the 390 mounting kit for $56 on Amazon with free shipping to Alaska! Can't beat that. It's almost $100 at O'Reilly's up here. So, just to confirm, the 679 WILL fit on the front of my radiator, correct? I'd measure my radiator, but the van is over at the auto shop with no transmission in it, currently. HA! It won't take too much cooling air away from the actual radiator, will it? I have it in my cart on Amazon. Just waiting to order! Currently, I don't tow anything. I was thinking about getting a 5x8 enclosed trailer for hauling my RC airplanes around, eventually.
Matt
1997 Safari SLE AWD
74,000 miles
Original Poster [OP]
KC10Chief
Years of Membership: KC10Chief has been a member for 9 full yearsKC10Chief has been a member for 9 full yearsKC10Chief has been a member for 9 full yearsKC10Chief has been a member for 9 full yearsKC10Chief has been a member for 9 full yearsKC10Chief has been a member for 9 full yearsKC10Chief has been a member for 9 full yearsKC10Chief has been a member for 9 full yearsKC10Chief has been a member for 9 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby redfury » November 21st 2011, 12:41am

No problems mounting that in front, just mount it on the passenger side of the van as the coolant is the coolest on that side of the radiator and the closest to the transmission lines. With my van, if it's below freezing it takes about a mile before I get TCC lock up. I bought the van with only the external cooler hooked up if you can believe that...my next move is to mount a transmission temp sensor and gauge.
A temporary fix usually becomes a permanent solution, therefore it does not exist.
doghouse removal by me!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIJ0kuROlbU
redfury
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Years of Membership: redfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 53
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: LT 5.7L 4wd

Postby Phantom » November 21st 2011, 12:44am

A couple examples
Attachments
trans cooler on van.jpg
trans cooler on van 2.jpg
trans cooler on van 2.jpg (85.57 KiB) Viewed 3783 times
img1524fn2.jpg
img1524fn2.jpg (89.12 KiB) Viewed 3783 times
DCP_y6813.jpg
DCP_y6813.jpg (91 KiB) Viewed 3783 times
DCP_6818.jpg
DCP_6818.jpg (99.44 KiB) Viewed 3783 times
13.jpg
Phantom
Years of Membership: Phantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby KC10Chief [OP] » November 21st 2011, 12:45am

Thanks! I just ordered the 679 with the 390 mounting kit. $56 shipped! My van won't be back on the road until Friday at the earliest, when I have time to put the transmission back in. Cooling probably won't be a problem for a while. I'll definitely run it through the radiator first! I don't know why anybody wouldn't.
Matt
1997 Safari SLE AWD
74,000 miles
Original Poster [OP]
KC10Chief
Alias (AKA):

Postby KC10Chief [OP] » November 21st 2011, 12:49am

Fantastic pictures! What's up with the metal brackets on that one? It looks like there is an electric fan on the back of it. I was under the impression that this just mounted with special zip tie like cables through the radiator fins. That's what the pictures looked like, anyways. I don't want to get into an electric fan setup. HA! You guys are awesome! I'd be way behind where I am now without this forum.
Matt
1997 Safari SLE AWD
74,000 miles
Original Poster [OP]
KC10Chief
Alias (AKA):

Postby Phantom » November 21st 2011, 1:08am

Brackets are actually better , they are stronger , more reliable , if a zip tie wound break the cooler could fall and get damaged , and

running zip ties through the radiator has the potential of damaging the cooling fins of the radiator , and if you had to remove the radiator for any reason you'd have to dismount the cooler ,

Mounting in similar fashion as the pics , those problems can be avoided
Phantom
Alias (AKA):

Postby paintdrying » November 21st 2011, 2:59am

nice pics :clap:
1999 chevy astro van awd ls 108,000 miles
parts van 2000 astro rwd 279,000 miles
paintdrying
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: paintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 94
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 108 000

Postby RECox286 » November 21st 2011, 4:26am

When I put an external coolers in my Astros, I opted to attach it to some homemade struts that attach to the truck rather than the radiator. For one of the trucks I used the condenser

out of an old chest freezer cooling unit , which works just as well as the storebought coolers. Just flushed it out real well to get rid of the oil it had in it from its' previous life.

You could plumb one 3-way valve or two stop valves into the system which would give you the ability to "bypass" the external cooler if it is deemed to be too cold outside.

A simple thing to be sure.

Keep on truck'n

Bob
Start a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life.

Sent using two Progresso soup cans and a string
RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 40
Alias (AKA): Uncle Bob
Van Model Year: 1993
Extra Info: RWD V6 [325K mi]

Postby Shad0wXCalibur » November 21st 2011, 6:24am

+1 on the 679 cooler. Here's mine. The pic is not up close because this was actually a body lift pic.

On the 87
1987 Astro
2000 Safari
Shad0wXCalibur
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: Shad0wXCalibur has been a member for 9 full yearsShad0wXCalibur has been a member for 9 full yearsShad0wXCalibur has been a member for 9 full yearsShad0wXCalibur has been a member for 9 full yearsShad0wXCalibur has been a member for 9 full yearsShad0wXCalibur has been a member for 9 full yearsShad0wXCalibur has been a member for 9 full yearsShad0wXCalibur has been a member for 9 full yearsShad0wXCalibur has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 41
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: Lifted 2wd

Postby strangerock » November 29th 2011, 4:50am

I just installed mine and just have the connections left to do, Is there any recommendations if the cooler should be before or after the factory rad cooler ?.

Thanks

StRaNgErOcK
strangerock
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Years of Membership: strangerock has been a member for 9 full yearsstrangerock has been a member for 9 full yearsstrangerock has been a member for 9 full yearsstrangerock has been a member for 9 full yearsstrangerock has been a member for 9 full yearsstrangerock has been a member for 9 full yearsstrangerock has been a member for 9 full yearsstrangerock has been a member for 9 full yearsstrangerock has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2002

Postby KC10Chief [OP] » November 29th 2011, 4:56am

I would think AFTER. Run it through the factory cooler first which will give it come cooling. Then, through your aftermarket cooler for additional cooling. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. Also, the UPS guy showed up as I was typing this message and brought me MY transmission cooler! All I need now is a working transmission and I'll get it installed! :mrgreen:
Matt
1997 Safari SLE AWD
74,000 miles
Original Poster [OP]
KC10Chief
Alias (AKA):

Postby strangerock » November 29th 2011, 5:14am

Thanks man, that's kinda what I thought , I wonder if anyone has tested fluid temp with it hooked before and after the factory cooler for a comparison ?
strangerock
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Years of Membership: strangerock has been a member for 9 full yearsstrangerock has been a member for 9 full yearsstrangerock has been a member for 9 full yearsstrangerock has been a member for 9 full yearsstrangerock has been a member for 9 full yearsstrangerock has been a member for 9 full yearsstrangerock has been a member for 9 full yearsstrangerock has been a member for 9 full yearsstrangerock has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2002

Postby Jasen » November 29th 2011, 6:34am

I think the idea of running it after is that the rad. will help warm the fluid in winter, thus getting your tanz up to operating temp quicker. Plus the OE system already works fine under normal conditions, so the added cooler is back up for when your working the tranz hard.
I'm a Journeyman woodworker,
Every projects a journey man.

Ultra gauge

Being a mad scientist IS NOT as easy as it look's on TV

Jasen
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Jasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 260
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: AWD cargo Dutch door

Postby Shad0wXCalibur » November 29th 2011, 6:46am

Jasen wrote:Plus the OE system already works fine under normal conditions

I don't think it does much in summer here when it gets to triple digit, especially in stop-and-go but I guess that's not a normal condition :lol: . I put the coolers on both of my vans in the middle of summer and the slight jerk I would get after driving around for a while went away. I can't imagine how fast the transmission would be wearing out if you were to tow something in that kind of summer heat with no external cooler :shock:
1987 Astro
2000 Safari
Shad0wXCalibur
Years of Membership: Shad0wXCalibur has been a member for 9 full yearsShad0wXCalibur has been a member for 9 full yearsShad0wXCalibur has been a member for 9 full yearsShad0wXCalibur has been a member for 9 full yearsShad0wXCalibur has been a member for 9 full yearsShad0wXCalibur has been a member for 9 full yearsShad0wXCalibur has been a member for 9 full yearsShad0wXCalibur has been a member for 9 full yearsShad0wXCalibur has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 41
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: Lifted 2wd

Postby Phantom » November 29th 2011, 12:05pm

Trans fluid temps inside the trans can reach 300 degrees , without any cooling trans clutches would burn up in just a matter of few miles, which is why is needs cooling , the radiator serves two functions with trans fluid . It is routed from the trans to the radiator and connects at the bottom of radiator where the coolest water is , when trans is cold the fluid gets warmed up by the warm water then out the top trans line where water is warmest/hot .....this is where you connect the external trans cooler , then out of the cooler back to the trans .

After the trans fluid is warmed up it will then get very hot inside the trans itself 275-325 degrees so the fluid now gets cooled by the water in radiator because rad water is at a lower 195-210 degrees ..using a 195 degree engine water thermostat

Optimum temp for trans fluid is 175 degrees ,,colder it does not operate efficiently ...hotter reduces tranny life span and the hotter it gets is when it starts to overheat fluid , fluid gets overheated and cannot do it's job then clutches overheat and burn ...for every 12 degree lower fluid temp you double the life of the trans

Using an external cooler to bring the temp as close to 175 degrees as possible you can extend the life of trans by more than double and right at 3 times the life span if at consistent 175 degrees
Phantom
Alias (AKA):

Postby KC10Chief [OP] » November 29th 2011, 9:33pm

So, does anybody know of any good transmission temperature gauges? I'd like to mount one on the pillar, I guess. Do they even make mounts that would fit on the pillars on our vans? A tachometer would be nice too.
Matt
1997 Safari SLE AWD
74,000 miles
Original Poster [OP]
KC10Chief
Alias (AKA):

Next