Transmission or Something Else?

Transmission or Something Else?

Postby Aesthetikz [OP] » May 14th 2018, 5:08am

Been awhile since I posted~
1994 AWD ASTRO CS 4.3L "W" 460LE

Van is about to hit 262,000, and things are failing faster than I can fix.
I won't go through that whole list right now.
But,
Most recently, the Hatch Window/Glass shattered, for no apparent reason.

Currently~
Today we drove for 50 Miles, during a hot day and Stopped at a 711. Backed out of the parking space and the van wouldn't move forward...

I tried all available gears (Automatic) and was able limp it out of the way, in 2nd.

Insurance payed for an 11 Mile tow, leaving us with the rest of the $167 tab. Thanks, USAA. Sigh.

Symptoms~
Reverse works perfectly fine.
Drive, Overdrive, 1 & 2, DO NOT.

2 can actually move the van forward, but a snail will win that race.
1 is even slower, barely moves it.
Overdrive and Drive does nothing, unless you give it gas to uncomfortable/potentially catastrophic levels. Then it jerks forward and you can hear a faint mechanical whine/rotational resistance from underneath briefly.

No trouble codes.

Despite being changed at appropriate intervals, the Trans Fluid was slightly dull/dark. Filter has been changed in the last 1000 miles.

Physically, the tail end of the tranny/transfer case is damp and has clearly been throwing fluid from the driveshaft connection area.
I'll be further investigating this.

Beyond changing fluids and general upkeep, I've never really had to deal with the AWD stuff. At this time I'm not terribly knowledgeable in that area. I'll be doing some studying.
But,
Do I actually have a Trans problem? Or
Could it be related the AWD stuff? Both???

It's acting like it still wants to move forward, and can (sort of, See above). But, with EXTREME resistance.

The only thing it was doing out of the norm, was an ocassional...Stumble? sometimes with a little lurch/jerk (hard to explain) at the end of a complete stop. I thought it might be the Idle not adjusting correctly.

I'll be fixing this myself.
I was already just about to tackle a Blown Headgasket on our second car.
I'm now under extreme pressure to have a running vehicle again, both are down, money is tight and I'm not sure which vehicle is worse at this point.

:screaming: :banghead: :screaming: :banghead: :screaming:
Last edited by Aesthetikz on May 14th 2018, 8:05am, edited 2 times in total.
Original Poster [OP]
Aesthetikz
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: Aesthetikz has been a member for 10 full yearsAesthetikz has been a member for 10 full yearsAesthetikz has been a member for 10 full yearsAesthetikz has been a member for 10 full yearsAesthetikz has been a member for 10 full yearsAesthetikz has been a member for 10 full yearsAesthetikz has been a member for 10 full yearsAesthetikz has been a member for 10 full yearsAesthetikz has been a member for 10 full yearsAesthetikz has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 16
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: W 4.3L CPI V6 AWD CL

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • What year is this 4l60e transmission/ is it interchangeable?
    by allenstoltzfus » January 14th 2021, 7:37pm in Automatic
    11 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    January 20th 2021, 7:06pm
  • Transmission
    by Alex237 » February 7th 2021, 8:10pm in Automatic
    1 Replies
    Last post by sixsixsixsix is online! View the latest post
    February 7th 2021, 11:28pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    April 15th 2021, 6:40pm

Re: Transmission or Something Else?

Postby 90safari » May 14th 2018, 5:41am

Sounds like a trans to me. My wife's trans went out at 150K (2wd) which is about normal for a 4l60e.
Bob 88 Astro cs and Sue 90 Safari
90safari
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L2)
Years of Membership: 90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 5
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1990
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: plus an 88 Astro

Postby Aesthetikz [OP] » May 14th 2018, 8:26am

I don't know if the Trans has ever been rebuilt/replaced. Never has while in our posession.
We didn't/don't drive it hard. But, someone did in the past. We got it dirt cheap due to tons of rock chips, mostly clearcoat and a "Blown Headgasket"...that ended up being a Cracked Head.

I feel like it's probably a Sprag. I still want to hope that it's something easier. :-(

Question: How difficult is it to pull a Trans w/ Transfer Case, in a Driveway?
Hoping it's not as bad as it looks.
I've got jacks, stands, ramps and an engine hoist, amongst other things.
Original Poster [OP]
Aesthetikz
Years of Membership: Aesthetikz has been a member for 10 full yearsAesthetikz has been a member for 10 full yearsAesthetikz has been a member for 10 full yearsAesthetikz has been a member for 10 full yearsAesthetikz has been a member for 10 full yearsAesthetikz has been a member for 10 full yearsAesthetikz has been a member for 10 full yearsAesthetikz has been a member for 10 full yearsAesthetikz has been a member for 10 full yearsAesthetikz has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 16
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1994
Extra Info: W 4.3L CPI V6 AWD CL

Postby dramey » May 14th 2018, 8:53am

Did you check trans fluid level and transfer case fluid levels?
dramey
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: dramey has been a member for 4 full yearsdramey has been a member for 4 full yearsdramey has been a member for 4 full yearsdramey has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: AWD Cargo Van

Postby Mmusicman » May 14th 2018, 2:07pm

Aesthetikz wrote:1 is even slower, barely moves it...Then it jerks forward and you can hear a faint mechanical whine/rotational resistance from underneath briefly.

The slipping, jerking, and mechanical whine... is you probably causing it further damage.
If the fluid level is good, then you're probably due for a trans rebuild.

My 700R4 recently lost all forward gears (during a shift), but reverse still worked.

Good luck
2000 Astro LS 4x4 | NP233 | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Cargo Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 73
Alias (AKA): Scott
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: 2000 4x4 - 92 V8-350

Postby Captn.Crunch » May 14th 2018, 4:15pm

Aesthetikz wrote:
Question: How difficult is it to pull a Trans w/ Transfer Case, in a Driveway?
Hoping it's not as bad as it looks.
I've got jacks, stands, ramps and an engine hoist, amongst other things.

You can do this swap in your driveway with typical hand tools. You will need four jack stands to lift all four corners on the van high enough to get the trans out from under once you drop it. Pull the front prop shaft and transfer case first. Rear shaft and cross member. Long extensions to get the bolts at the top of the bell housing. Tube wrenches are nice for the line fittings.
Do you have any mechanic friends? I asked around and found a tranny guy who does rebuilds in his garage on weekends. Saved a bunch o money
4l60e is a very popular tranny. Easy to find. You could even grab a 4l60e and an np236 transfer case out of a 4x4 S-10 Blazer and swap over your encoder motor to the 236. Olds Bravada has the 4l60e and the np136. Just make sure it’s from an awd/4x4. RWD units are different length.
99 GMC Safari SLE AWD
2" body lift
S-10 rear leafs
NP236 tc
Detroit Truetrac Torsen rear diff w/3.73's
MFactory Torsen equipped front diff-iron
Soon:
Skid plates
rock rails
Captn.Crunch
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Captn.Crunch has been a member for 7 full yearsCaptn.Crunch has been a member for 7 full yearsCaptn.Crunch has been a member for 7 full yearsCaptn.Crunch has been a member for 7 full yearsCaptn.Crunch has been a member for 7 full yearsCaptn.Crunch has been a member for 7 full yearsCaptn.Crunch has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 21
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1999
Extra Info: 4x4 TwinTorsen diffs

Postby markmitch » May 14th 2018, 6:17pm

definitely a transmission problem, if you decide to remove the trans yourself find a tranny jack it makes it so much easier. You will have to remove both drive shafts then pull the transfer case back and leave it in the frame if possible I used webbed strapping /tie downs to hold it in place but this was a truck I did this in so I am not sure if you can do it in your van. Then position the trans jack under the trans oil pan to hold it in place then unbolt the trans from the engine. Then get another trans or have yours rebuilt. Its doable in your yard the only special tool to pull/install a trans is the tranny jack and yes it can be done without the jack but believe me when I say its so much easier with the right jack. As for rebuilding it yourself there are tools that you must have or you can take the trans to a shop and have them install certain parts for 10 to 20 bucks instead of buying the tools. Once your done install a trans aux cooler it will make the trans last twice as long so they claim. Good luck! markmitch
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full years
Topics: 629
Alias (AKA): 1st gen or frankenvan
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS V8 AWD

Postby Old Barney » May 14th 2018, 8:17pm

Oh crap!! I have fixed a few just by draining and changing the filter. Get a can to trans flush follow instructions. when you pull the stick smell of the fluid if dark brown it needs changing. Let the valve body drain over night shift through the gears without engine running.
There is not a drain plug in the converter so unless you start the van the fluid there will remain there.
I would not say your transmission is shot the filter is plugged and fluid spent. Don't drive it this way it will be shot.
The first filter and fluid change I did was on a 1958 Pontiac with 130,000 miles on it The guy had just pulled a trailer from California to up state New York. He was back on the road again. I don't know how many more miles he put on it but lasted the summer then he left again.
I have changed many filter and fluid with success. TRY that first cheap way to get on the road again.
Old Barney
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Old Barney has been a member for 6 full yearsOld Barney has been a member for 6 full yearsOld Barney has been a member for 6 full yearsOld Barney has been a member for 6 full yearsOld Barney has been a member for 6 full yearsOld Barney has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 23
Alias (AKA): Barney
Extra Info: awd

Postby Astro Pop » May 14th 2018, 8:25pm

My 1996 AWD has the BW4472 trf case. So I'm assuming yours does too. You'll need one out of another AWD due to the special tailpiece that bolts up the the transfer case. I'll jump of the bandwagon of trans is dead. Also the opinion of a JY trans. Unless you want to keep the van for a long, long time, then a rebuilt with a good warranty. Also get one locally, if it's turns out to be a dud, no extra shipping & waiting. Something to think about for JY trannys too. All the 4L60E trannies that fit our vans are getting old with hi mileage on them. The newest van is 2005, 13 yrs old.
Here is a video on just the transfer case removal & diagnosis if you want to check it out, but the removal will help. Caveat: This was not a professionally prepared video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf5Q6eNj3kE

Good luck. Keep us posted.
Astro Pop
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: Astro Pop has been a member for 9 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 9 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 9 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 9 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 9 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 9 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 9 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 9 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 41
Alias (AKA): Xfirepop
Van Model Year: 1996
Extra Info: AWD - 5 inch lift

Postby Old Barney » May 14th 2018, 8:41pm

The other idea. You stated you just changed the filter 100 miles ago. I didn't read this first time through. If the filter "O" ring didn't get seated good the pump will suck air and not fluid. This is a common mistake made by me couple times
Old Barney
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Years of Membership: Old Barney has been a member for 6 full yearsOld Barney has been a member for 6 full yearsOld Barney has been a member for 6 full yearsOld Barney has been a member for 6 full yearsOld Barney has been a member for 6 full yearsOld Barney has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 23
Alias (AKA): Barney
Extra Info: awd

Postby SportsBoy » May 15th 2018, 2:09am

As far as removing the tranny and tcase go, it's no joke. I did it with a lift and the right jacks and such and it was extremely difficult and I definitely needed a second person.

I'm far from a mechanic, so it is probabaly easier for others, but man it was a tough experience.
SportsBoy
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: SportsBoy has been a member for 3 full yearsSportsBoy has been a member for 3 full yearsSportsBoy has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 24
Alias (AKA): Blake
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: 4.3 AWD

Postby markmitch » May 15th 2018, 3:54am

I had to remove the T case before I could put the transmission back in but it was because the seal was bad that goes between the transmission and the T case and I got both the trans and the t case out by myself but putting that T case back in I had to have help its a ***** even with help. That's why I said earlier if you can strap the T case up in place do it.
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full years
Topics: 629
Alias (AKA): 1st gen or frankenvan
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS V8 AWD

Postby Astro Pop » May 15th 2018, 4:28am

If you have a floor jack then a transmission adaptor makes things a lot easier. Otherwise balancing the trans on the jack alone leads to mashed fingers, toes, hands, arms, heads....

https://www.amazon.com/ATE-Pro-USA-8415 ... B00080QGYG
Astro Pop
Years of Membership: Astro Pop has been a member for 9 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 9 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 9 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 9 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 9 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 9 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 9 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 9 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 41
Alias (AKA): Xfirepop
Van Model Year: 1996
Extra Info: AWD - 5 inch lift

Postby 90safari » May 15th 2018, 4:43am

I was going to suggest a motorcycle jack for doing the trans lifting. I've used a regular floor jack with a block of wood on it many times, but those were 2wd cars and trucks. My friend used a MC jack on his 4wd Blazer, and he said it really helped make it easier. I didn't ask him if he did any blocking to work around the transfer case or not, but he did do the work himself.
As for doing the job in your driveway, sure why not, unless you live in a HOA. :o :crying:
90safari
Years of Membership: 90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Leeann_93 » May 15th 2018, 10:55pm

I did it by myself, in my yard, with the van up on jack stands. I have the cheapest tranny jack from Harbor Freight.

Pics and commentary are in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=54402

Note I haven't put the replacement or rebuilt trans back in, because illness and injury have gotten in the way, but I have pulled the trans and transfer case.

Oh - and yes, it's your trans.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby Mmusicman » May 16th 2018, 1:29pm

Leeann_93 wrote:I did it by myself, in my yard, with the van up on jack stands. I have the cheapest tranny jack from Harbor Freight.

^^ EXACTLY!

Here's how I do mine on a budget. (a transmission jack would be MUCH preferred)
This of course, is being pulled without a transfer case...
(the wood MUST be bolted to the floor-jack, or trans will topple over)

90safari wrote:I was going to suggest a motorcycle jack for doing the trans lifting. I've used a regular floor jack with a block of wood on it many times, but those were 2wd cars and trucks. My friend used a MC jack on his 4wd Blazer, and he said it really helped make it easier...

Damn... I just realized I HAVE a motorcycle jack that I could have used!!!
Hopefully I'll remember to give it a try my next trans swap!
Sounds like it might be good for gas tanks too.
2000 Astro LS 4x4 | NP233 | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Cargo Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 73
Alias (AKA): Scott
Extra Info: 2000 4x4 - 92 V8-350

Postby 90safari » May 20th 2018, 5:09pm

Yup. Anything long and or awkward can use a motorcycle jack to do the lifting/dropping. I even did a R&R of a VW bus engine with one.
90safari
Alias (AKA):