AWD 2002 Astro flexplate replacement...shop quote 1200$

AWD 2002 Astro flexplate replacement...shop quote 1200$

Postby alxastro [OP] » November 2nd 2018, 3:38am

hi,
this is 2002 AWD Astro
Flexplate is confirmed broken... needs to be replaced... don't really have resources/time to do it myself ...... BUT
went to local supposedly family run for 35 years(Gardnerville,NV), great reviews online , recommended by local.... quote 1200$ to replace flexplate...?

tHey say:" transmission must be removed".. 8 hours work at 100$/hour plus parts etc

BUT I have previous owner records(original bills/receipts )...Flexplate was replaced several times under warranty at DEALER... and Dealer charged for only 3 hours of Labor
(for your info in 2005 at rate of 88$/hour they charged aprox. 250$-flexplate replace)

the question is:
1.on 2002 AWD Does the Transmission have to be completely removed to replace broken Flexplate?

2.if yes, should it take professional shop 8 hours to do it(when Dealer can do it in 3 hours)

if anybody did replace Flexplate on AWD, please share your experience(tranny has to drop? or can be slid away?)

if anybody had it done by a shop.... please share you experience too(how much did they charge you?)

thank you very much,
Alex ,Carson valley,Nevada
Original Poster [OP]
alxastro
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: alxastro has been a member for 2 full yearsalxastro has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2002
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: AWD LS 4.3L V6 AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: AWD 2002 Astro flexplate replacement...shop quote 1200$

Postby AstroWill » November 2nd 2018, 2:45pm

3.0 hours is the AWD OEM warranty time, Chilton says regular time is 4.4hrs.

But 8hrs seems like a good estimate of time for the shop. It won't take them that long, but that sounds like what a shop would quote.

Not really difficult to do, but if you don't have the time/resources then you have to pay the piper. I would however shop around and get at least a few estimates if possible.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business.
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby Mmusicman » November 2nd 2018, 3:12pm

Well, considering that I can pull a transmission (with hand tools) in about 1/2 hour in my driveway... I would think the "professional" should be able to do it in about the same time in his shop. AWD and transfer case "might" add about an additional half hour or so... I would guess.

The last cracked flexplate I changed on my 92 took about an hour total. I merely scooted the transmission back far enough to get my torque wrench on the flexplate bolts, and slid the flexplate out. This however may not apply to your year van and trans, but I would think the same basic principle still applies.

I would CERTAINLY get a FEW MORE ESTIMATES!!!

PS: Oh... and welcome to the site!
2000 Astro LS 4x4 | NP233 | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Cargo Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 73
Alias (AKA): Scott
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: 2000 4x4 - 92 V8-350

Postby Meterpig » November 2nd 2018, 4:05pm

AWD adds a lot of complexity with the torsion bars. A transmission shop who has done it a lot might be a better option.
How many sensors, fuses or computers does a Bw4472 need? Zero.

1999-2005 FSM PDF (Torrent) https://www.thepiratebay.org/torrent/30867489/astro_safari_van_fsm_factory_service_manaul

2004 Astro-https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-F7bd6R/
Meterpig
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: Meterpig has been a member for 6 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 6 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 6 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 6 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 6 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 63
Alias (AKA): meterpig
Van Model Year: 2002
Extra Info: Not a minivan

Postby TurnNburn » November 2nd 2018, 4:59pm

I echo what has been said above

Yes, the transmission has to be removed

Prodemand, the flat rate manual I use at work says 7.3 hours to replace the flexplate. But I would hope that it doesn't take that long. When you have to do the same repairs over and over and over again, you get really good at doing it. 3 hours warranty would be expected.
2000 Astro- Camperized, bumpers, lifted, LS 5.3 V8, 4x4 T-case, Truetrac rear locker, 31x10.5x15 BFG KO2's
"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes"
Build thread- https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?t=103066"
TurnNburn
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Green Status (L4)
Green Status (L4)
Years of Membership: TurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): iGoogle
Extra Info: 5.3 4x4 Overlander

Postby CopperFiremistCopperFiremist is online! » November 2nd 2018, 5:02pm

Mmusicman wrote:Well, considering that I can pull a transmission (with hand tools) in about 1/2 hour in my driveway... I would think the "professional" should be able to do it in about the same time in his shop. AWD and transfer case "might" add about an additional half hour or so... I would guess.

The last cracked flexplate I changed on my 92 took about an hour total. I merely scooted the transmission back far enough to get my torque wrench on the flexplate bolts, and slid the flexplate out. This however may not apply to your year van and trans, but I would think the same basic principle still applies.

I would CERTAINLY get a FEW MORE ESTIMATES!!!

PS: Oh... and welcome to the site!

I CALL BS Mmusicman! You ever heard of torsion bars? 1/2 hour :rofl:
Pullin The Pass
CopperFiremistCopperFiremist is online!
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L2)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L2)
Years of Membership: CopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 25
Alias (AKA): B
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: LS Swap

Postby TurnNburn » November 2nd 2018, 5:22pm

You think you might be able to pull the transmission back far enough back over the cross member to weasel the flexplate in and out? As someone that works at a dealer, wondering out loud how they might be able to do it so quickly. Cause if you unload the torsion bars, you have to ad an alignment on top of that time. And I just don't see it getting done that fast plus an alignment in 3 hours without cheating somewhere.
2000 Astro- Camperized, bumpers, lifted, LS 5.3 V8, 4x4 T-case, Truetrac rear locker, 31x10.5x15 BFG KO2's
"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes"
Build thread- https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?t=103066"
TurnNburn
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Green Status (L4)
Green Status (L4)
Years of Membership: TurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): iGoogle
Extra Info: 5.3 4x4 Overlander

Postby Mmusicman » November 2nd 2018, 6:50pm

CopperFiremist wrote:I CALL BS Mmusicman! You ever heard of torsion bars? 1/2 hour :rofl:

My 92 doesn't have torsion bars. But I did add "expected time" for dealing with AWD transfer case. I was unaware that to pull the trans in an AWD, you have to remove the torsion bars too. But yes, in my 92 RWD I can pull my trans in 1/2 hour. :D

I really don't see why the trans in an AWD would need to be FULLY removed to access the flexplate... only moved back far enough to gain enough access. This might mean that the cross member and torsion bars would not need to be touched. Just a guess...
2000 Astro LS 4x4 | NP233 | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Cargo Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 73
Alias (AKA): Scott
Extra Info: 2000 4x4 - 92 V8-350

Postby SportsBoy » November 3rd 2018, 6:09pm

alxastro wrote:quote 1200$ to replace flexplate...?

tHey say:" transmission must be removed".. 8 hours work at 100$/hour plus parts etc

So... are they charging $400 for the flexplate? And maybe refilling the tranny fluid?

Buy the flexplate on rockauto.com and atf on amazon or somewhere and that cuts $300 from the bill, if that's what that extra $400 is really for.
SportsBoy
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: SportsBoy has been a member for 3 full yearsSportsBoy has been a member for 3 full yearsSportsBoy has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 23
Alias (AKA): Blake
Van Model Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4.3 AWD

Postby Astro Pop » November 3rd 2018, 7:33pm

I pulled the transmission on my 96 AWD without touching the torsion bars....did I do it wrong? Do I have to go back and redo it? Just slide the transmission with the transfer case back and change the flex plate. Dealerships bill according to the Mitchell Flat Rate Manual. The tech makes extra money if they shortcut the process. A dealer tech will have it done in about 1 hr or less. Been there done that.
Astro Pop
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: Astro Pop has been a member for 8 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 8 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 8 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 8 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 8 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 8 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 8 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 41
Alias (AKA): Xfirepop
Van Model Year: 1996
Extra Info: AWD - 5 inch lift