Extension Housing Rear Oil Seal Replacement

Extension Housing Rear Oil Seal Replacement

Postby BillyJoBob [OP] » September 24th 2019, 11:33pm

My 97 Astro needs the seal replaced which means I have to remove and replace the front U-joint.

Seal looks easy once I get the drive shaft dropped in front. I'm looking for suggestions of how to get the U-joint out and back in working on my back on the ground. I did a search here and didn't find anything. Everything on youtube seems to be on the bench

Any suggestions on greaseless vs non-greaseless U-joints appreciated also

Thanks in advance

BJB
Planned Adolescence

1998 RWD Safari, AC, 170K
RIP - 1998 Astro - wouldn't Smog, now owned by the State of CA
Original Poster [OP]
BillyJoBob
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Years of Membership: BillyJoBob has been a member for 9 full yearsBillyJoBob has been a member for 9 full yearsBillyJoBob has been a member for 9 full yearsBillyJoBob has been a member for 9 full yearsBillyJoBob has been a member for 9 full yearsBillyJoBob has been a member for 9 full yearsBillyJoBob has been a member for 9 full yearsBillyJoBob has been a member for 9 full yearsBillyJoBob has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 16
Alias (AKA): BillyJoBob
Van Model Year: 1998
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: V6 RWD 180k

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Transmission Oil Filler Tube Hole
    by swishalump » February 9th 2021, 10:11pm in Automatic
    2 Replies
    Last post by swishalump View the latest post
    February 10th 2021, 12:30am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    February 28th 2021, 4:36pm

Re: Extension Housing Rear Oil Seal Replacement

Postby AstroWill » September 25th 2019, 12:20am

Why are you removing the front u-joint?

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby BillyJoBob [OP] » September 25th 2019, 12:36am

Cuz the Service Manual sez too. If I don't, please tell me how to get to the seal?
Planned Adolescence

Original Poster [OP]
BillyJoBob
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Years of Membership: BillyJoBob has been a member for 9 full yearsBillyJoBob has been a member for 9 full yearsBillyJoBob has been a member for 9 full yearsBillyJoBob has been a member for 9 full yearsBillyJoBob has been a member for 9 full yearsBillyJoBob has been a member for 9 full yearsBillyJoBob has been a member for 9 full yearsBillyJoBob has been a member for 9 full yearsBillyJoBob has been a member for 9 full years

Postby Astrofarian » September 25th 2019, 2:09am

Unbolt the u-joint straps from the differential, remove the driveshaft from the differential, slide the slip-yoke out of the transmission extension housing. The seal is now right in your face.
Which "service manual" do you have, out of curiosity?
-M!ke-
Move along....all is well.....return to your homes.....nothing to see here.
Astrofarian
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Astrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA): M!ke
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: Someday......

Postby BillyJoBob [OP] » September 25th 2019, 2:17am

Thank you

The official GM 1998 Chevy Astro 3 volume set
Planned Adolescence

Original Poster [OP]
BillyJoBob
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)

Postby AstroWill » September 25th 2019, 2:26am

I would be interested in seeing that from the manual, could you scan and post it?

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years

Postby BillyJoBob [OP] » September 25th 2019, 3:00am

IMG_20190924_184654.jpg
ment]
IMG_20190924_184706.jpg
Attachments
IMG_20190924_184633.jpg
Planned Adolescence

Original Poster [OP]
BillyJoBob
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)

Postby Astrofarian » September 25th 2019, 3:22am

Propellor shaft/Driveshaft needs to be removed, yup. But you DON'T need to "remove" the u-joints, per se. They'll both get "removed" with the driveshaft. Once the driveshaft is out of your way, you're done with IT and the U-joints until it's time to re-install it. Helpful hint: wrap the differential end of the driveshaft (the u-joint) a few times around with electrical tape to prevent the cups from falling off and scattering needle-bearings all over your garage floor.
-M!ke-
Astrofarian
Years of Membership: Astrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full years

Postby AstroWill » September 25th 2019, 3:28am

I was just wondering if you were looking at the wrong section or something. Yes the drive/propeller shaft has to be removed, but you definitely don't have to remove the u-joints unless there is something else wrong and they need to be replaced.
98_prop_shaft.pdf
(47.73 KiB) Downloaded 29 times

AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby BillyJoBob [OP] » September 25th 2019, 4:20am

See? And that's why this forum is so valuable, not all of know what we need to do.

Thank you both
Planned Adolescence

Original Poster [OP]
BillyJoBob
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)

Postby Astrofarian » September 25th 2019, 5:04am

If you're working "on the ground", as you indicated, make sure to get some 3/4" plywood (not O.S.B.) to put under your jackstands. I gather from your last post that you don't have a lot of experience doing automotive work? No judgements, just curious.
--M!ke-
Astrofarian

Postby BillyJoBob [OP] » September 25th 2019, 5:54am

Thanks Mike but it's 'generic' ground, on a concrete garage floor.
Planned Adolescence

Original Poster [OP]
BillyJoBob
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)

Postby AstroWill » September 25th 2019, 6:31am

BillyJoBob wrote:See? And that's why this forum is so valuable, not all of know what we need to do.

:thumbup: We all learn from each other. Let us know how it goes.

AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby Mmusicman » September 25th 2019, 12:48pm

The manual may tell you to pull the tail-shaft housing because some seals do not have a lip to easily knock it out, and you'll have to work around the tail shaft. But I have never pulled the housing to replace a seal. It's ok to destroy the seal while removing it.. just use care not to damage the housing. Sometimes I pound a flat-blade screw-driver right though the metal portion of the seal and leverage or bend them out.

As far as replacing the u-joint goes.. you most certainly can replace it in the ground as well. It may not be the preferable way.. but I've replaced many this way. A big hammer and a couple appropriately sized sockets should do the trick. Be aware some u-joints have inner-clips which must be removed first. No amount of hammering will get them out if you miss removing the clips (ask me how I know.. lol) Some u-joints use "nylon pins" which you simply ignore and hammer though. Some people drill them out.. some (I think) even melt them out.

Either type of u-joints are fine. "Greaseless" (as you called it.. the correct term would be non-greaseable) are typically used in high-performance or 4x4 applications where stressful high-torque is a factor. They are not cross-drilled for grease fitting in exchange for strength. Standard u-joints however, typically have grease fittings, so you can lube them annually. Both have grease in them, it's just one allows you to add more later without pulling it. Both types are fine in our application. The factory joint I believe comes with no grease fitting.. and this joint when properly installed can last decades.

As far a brands, (if possible) stick with DANA or SPICER... they are the undisputed best. :D
2000 Astro LS 4x4 | NP233 | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Cargo Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 73
Alias (AKA): Scott
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: 2000 4x4 - 92 V8-350

Postby BillyJoBob [OP] » September 26th 2019, 4:58pm

I bought the seal yesterday and am wondering if I should be lubing it with anything in particular before I install it?

TIA
Planned Adolescence

Original Poster [OP]
BillyJoBob
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)

Postby paulo57509 » September 26th 2019, 9:51pm

BillyJoBob wrote:I bought the seal yesterday and am wondering if I should be lubing it with anything in particular before I install it?

TIA

You can lube the lip if you want to - use ATF.
paulo57509
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: paulo57509 has been a member for 11 full yearspaulo57509 has been a member for 11 full yearspaulo57509 has been a member for 11 full yearspaulo57509 has been a member for 11 full yearspaulo57509 has been a member for 11 full yearspaulo57509 has been a member for 11 full yearspaulo57509 has been a member for 11 full yearspaulo57509 has been a member for 11 full yearspaulo57509 has been a member for 11 full yearspaulo57509 has been a member for 11 full yearspaulo57509 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 24
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2003
Extra Info: RWD

Postby BillyJoBob [OP] » September 26th 2019, 10:04pm

Thanx

BTW, 2" ABS pipe fits the inside metal ring perfectly. I'll go thru my fittings and see what I can fashion so that I can hold it straight when I tap on it. I'll report back when I see how it works.

Don't have any of that? You can buy 2' sections at Home Depot for a few bucks and put it on the front seat next to you
Planned Adolescence

Original Poster [OP]
BillyJoBob
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)