Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

What is this? Why is it in my oil pan?

3K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Leeann_93 
#1 ·
Rebuilt my 4.3 and before I drop it back in I'm cleaning up the subframe/transmission. Decided I may as well drop the oil pan so I can replace the filter and weld in a drain plug so, you know, I can actually drain the pan.... upon dropping the oil pan I found this inside.So as the title states, what is this!? And why is it in my oil pan?? It feels gooey and stuck to the bottom almost like it was put there not just floating around then settled.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
GOOD NEWS! You pan looks GREAT!
Very little debris on your magnet is a very good thing! :D

When I changed my filter.. (for some reason I don't recall) I didn't get the old seal out.
But my new filter fit tight in the old seal.
Once you attempt to remove it however, you are committed!

#7 ·
Mmusicman said:
GOOD NEWS! You pan looks GREAT!
Very little debris on your magnet is a very good thing! :D

When I changed my filter.. (for some reason I don't recall) I didn't get the old seal out.
But my new filter fit tight in the old seal.
Once you attempt to remove it however, you are committed!
^^^ This. In my opinion, if pulling the old filter down out of the trans is difficult then your O ring seal is nice and tight and there is no need to try and replace it. And when you shove the new filter into the old seal and it's a firm shove it is another indication that things are just fine with the old O ring.

#9 ·
I just pump the pan mostly empty by pulling a steel line (to the trans cooler) and have the trans naturally pump the pan empty. Takes about 20 seconds. Steel line unhooks easily... hook to rubber hose and pump into a bucket. Works well.

But adding a drain plug is really the best option.

#14 ·
Nice!! Welding is a Skill Set that I can only dream of.
Wishing I had learned at a young age...

And speaking of your nice looking welded plug set up...
- there are Magnetic Plug themselves.
Little magnet sticks up / into the oil.
Easy to see if there is abnormal metal shavings w/o a lab analysis.
They are common in machine tools, power transmission & hyd. systems.
etc, etc.

#15 ·
Never too late to learn! I took a night class welding at the local community college, it's loads of fun and just like anything......the more you practice.... The magnetic plug you speak of is exactly what's going in that there nut, $2 at the AutoZone (aka- hell on earth)

#16 ·
Drain plugs on transmission pans are the bomb. They should come from the factory that way. I add one to every vehicle I drop the pan on - our RV, the Jeep, the '99, the '02, the '05 will get it as soon as I drop that pan...which will be soon.

Your pan looks really good. Very little fuzz, no chunks, fluid doesn't look awful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.