2002 AWD Tranny Leaks

2002 AWD Tranny Leaks

Postby PPerson [OP] » August 29th 2008, 4:08pm

Our 2002 Astro AWD started dripping tranny fluid a couple of months back.
I got under the van 2 weeks ago and discovered the underside of the van near the tranny covered with fluid.
I took the van to a local reputable transmission shop for a diagnosis.
Fluid is being pushed out the breather vent because the pump is not functioning correctly.
I was quoted $900 to drop the transmission and replace the pump. They also suggested that with 98k on the van that I ought to go for a complete rebuild since they could not guarantee that something else might not fail at any point. This could be done for $1,700 and would come with a 3yr/36k warranty.
During the discussion the owner of the place mentioned that one of the parts that tends to go bad (not sure if it is the pump or something called the shell) is replaced with a redesigned part that is less prone to fail. Something about hardened vs non-hardened.

Anyway, I'm leaning toward the full rebuild.
Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Peter
Original Poster [OP]
PPerson
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: PPerson has been a member for 12 full yearsPPerson has been a member for 12 full yearsPPerson has been a member for 12 full yearsPPerson has been a member for 12 full yearsPPerson has been a member for 12 full yearsPPerson has been a member for 12 full yearsPPerson has been a member for 12 full yearsPPerson has been a member for 12 full yearsPPerson has been a member for 12 full yearsPPerson has been a member for 12 full yearsPPerson has been a member for 12 full yearsPPerson has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2002
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • 07 Colorado tranny in 00 Astro
    by dasvigo » July 5th 2020, 4:56am in Automatic
    1 Replies
    Last post by Leeann_93 View the latest post
    July 6th 2020, 11:18pm
  • Tranny cooler install help
    by Chunkstyle » August 11th 2020, 11:13pm in Automatic
    6 Replies
    Last post by Leeann_93 View the latest post
    August 14th 2020, 12:06am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    December 3rd 2020, 12:18pm

Re: 2002 AWD Tranny Leaks

Postby gtkane » August 30th 2008, 5:52am

Firstly, there is a redesigned part called a reaction sun shell that should be upgraded during a 4l60e rebuild. When it goes, you lose reverse and fourth gears.

Secondly, in my experience, a faulty pump rarely pushes fluid out of the vent hose. That is usually one of two things: an overfilled transmission, or heat.
If the fluid level is ok, you may wanna try installing an auxillary trans cooler. They are under a hundred bucks, and they are a good idea nevertheless.

I would investigate these options first before going with a rebuild, esp. if the trans is shifting fine and the fluid is not burnt.
General Motors master tech from friendly Manitoba.

Perfecting the fine art of more cost, less performance, since 1987!

User album #4...check it out!
gtkane
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: gtkane has been a member for 12 full yearsgtkane has been a member for 12 full yearsgtkane has been a member for 12 full yearsgtkane has been a member for 12 full yearsgtkane has been a member for 12 full yearsgtkane has been a member for 12 full yearsgtkane has been a member for 12 full yearsgtkane has been a member for 12 full yearsgtkane has been a member for 12 full yearsgtkane has been a member for 12 full yearsgtkane has been a member for 12 full yearsgtkane has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): Astruck
Extra Info: nasty 4.3

Postby PPerson [OP] » September 1st 2008, 11:34pm

Just curious.
My Astro came from the factory with the "tow package", does this include a transmission cooler?
Thanks,
Peter
Original Poster [OP]
PPerson
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: PPerson has been a member for 12 full yearsPPerson has been a member for 12 full yearsPPerson has been a member for 12 full yearsPPerson has been a member for 12 full yearsPPerson has been a member for 12 full yearsPPerson has been a member for 12 full yearsPPerson has been a member for 12 full yearsPPerson has been a member for 12 full yearsPPerson has been a member for 12 full yearsPPerson has been a member for 12 full yearsPPerson has been a member for 12 full yearsPPerson has been a member for 12 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby gtkane » September 2nd 2008, 6:29pm

Usually it includes a heavy duty cooler mounted inside the rad. An additional one is still a good idea.
General Motors master tech from friendly Manitoba.

Perfecting the fine art of more cost, less performance, since 1987!

User album #4...check it out!
gtkane
Years of Membership: gtkane has been a member for 12 full yearsgtkane has been a member for 12 full yearsgtkane has been a member for 12 full yearsgtkane has been a member for 12 full yearsgtkane has been a member for 12 full yearsgtkane has been a member for 12 full yearsgtkane has been a member for 12 full yearsgtkane has been a member for 12 full yearsgtkane has been a member for 12 full yearsgtkane has been a member for 12 full yearsgtkane has been a member for 12 full yearsgtkane has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): Astruck
Extra Info: nasty 4.3

Postby PPerson [OP] » September 12th 2008, 3:47pm

Picked the van up from the shop last Friday and took off on an 800 mile round trip.
The shop owner showed me the "reaction sun shell" that came out of my tranny and pointed out the amount of wear. He then showed me a new one with the hardened surface. Based on his experience he figured I had at most 10k left on it.
He described the pump as two halves mated together that over time (expansion & contraction due to heat) warp allowing fluid into the pump that cannot drain out quickly enough and only has one other option - out the breather.
I will be bringing it back at his request for a look-over to make sure there are no leaks, etc. I need to have them adjust the 1st to 2nd shift as it's a bit "stout". Other than that, no problems on the trip and averaged a little over 16mpg.
Peter
Original Poster [OP]
PPerson
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):