Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

1989 4.3 Trans Fluid Capacity

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Mmusicman 
#1 ·
Okay, I'm trying to figure out how much fluid I need for my situation. 1989 4.3 automatic. Service manual says pan removal 10 pints. Overhaul 23 pints. Somewhere I saw 11 pints with the pan removal. Okay. My transmission was rebuilt, but never installed. Since it's been sitting for many years, I'm going to drop the pan, replace the filter and refill. It doesn't have a toque converter installed, but I have a new one to install as soon as the filter is replaced. SO, since I'm not sure how much fluid is actually in the transmission at present is 23 pints to fill the transmission and torque converter what I need? Also, how much will the converter hold and how much should I pour into it before I install it on the transmission? I know I need to fill the converter at least partially before I install the unit. Once this is finished, I can start the engine installation... since I'm unemployed with too much time on my hands... Thanks

#2 ·
Um,if it has not been installed,it should be empty,and not need a "new" filter.Perhaps you worded it wrong? Anyway,have 12 qts on hand,a bit more if you are clumsy and tend to spill stuff.Add 1/2 qt to convertor,all you need is just a bit for initial lubrication when first starting up.

#6 ·
EXACTLY! Buy it by the gallon at Walmart.
2 gallons should suffice for filter change (pan drop only)

No point in discussing how many pints since it is typically sold by quart or gallon. 1 gallon = 4qts

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.