AWD Front Driverside Stub Axle Popping out

AWD Front Driverside Stub Axle Popping out

Postby moonbuggy [OP] » May 15th 2012, 7:19am

Had the front driverside axle replaced on my 91' GMC AWD Safari Van (the moonbuggy) :pray: . Now the stub axle keeps popping out :doh: . looks like they dropped the diff., upperball joint and sway arm connector :think: . My ? is... did they "pop" the stub axle, out unnecessarily, not knowing that you just split it at the six bolt flang :shhh: and would that damage or allow the stub axle to continue to pop out every ten miles :roll: . Have had it at the shop twice :banghead: , Now he wants to order a third axle and try it again :whack: HELP, S.O.S. :eek: IF... it walks like a :hand: , it is a :poke: !!! Who's got my SIX??? I need some :2: ..... :shrug:
Attachments
IMG_3918.JPG
"wrenched on" upper B. joint/tie rod bolts & pins
IMG_3919.JPG
Loose stub axle
IMG_3917.JPG
"wrenched on" front Diff. mount bolts
IMG_3924.JPG
O.M.E. bushing found in A-arm, by me, on second inspection
Original Poster [OP]
moonbuggy
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Years of Membership: moonbuggy has been a member for 10 full yearsmoonbuggy has been a member for 10 full yearsmoonbuggy has been a member for 10 full yearsmoonbuggy has been a member for 10 full yearsmoonbuggy has been a member for 10 full yearsmoonbuggy has been a member for 10 full yearsmoonbuggy has been a member for 10 full yearsmoonbuggy has been a member for 10 full yearsmoonbuggy has been a member for 10 full yearsmoonbuggy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 5
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4.3 AWD 235s

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • P2761 code keeps popping up
    by offctr » October 27th 2020, 4:17am in Automatic
    1 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    October 27th 2020, 1:53pm
  • Mechanic can't figure it out
    by gobytrain » October 26th 2020, 9:05pm in Automatic
    3 Replies
    Last post by Rod's Trucks View the latest post
    October 27th 2020, 12:35am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    April 15th 2021, 8:57am

Re: AWD Front Driverside Stub Axle Popping out

Postby ihatemybike » May 16th 2012, 1:02pm

Should really just be a matter of pulling the stub out again and installing a new C-clip.

http://www.transtar1.com/catView.asp?ID=620
Download the pdf.
Page 18 diagram / item 921
Page 20 part list / item 921 / part 741B921

**dealt with more CV issues than I care to mention**

**let's just say it's a Jeep thing....**
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86
ihatemybike
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: ihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 68
Alias (AKA):

Postby moonbuggy [OP] » May 16th 2012, 6:06pm

[quote="ihatemybike"]Should really just be a matter of pulling the stub out again and installing a new C-clip.

Just to let you know thats what was done the second time along with a (second)new axle :doh: . Then it popped out again :crying: . The mech. said the spring tension was the same on both old and new clips and thinks the boots are too tight on the re-furb axles so wants to try a new part :shrug: . also when I put the old axle core in the return box it had to be "stuffed in" as if it was slightly longer than re-ferb axle :nono: and the stub axle wiggles/wobbles when all the way in, seems too loose. Now waddoya think :2: ??
Original Poster [OP]
moonbuggy
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Years of Membership: moonbuggy has been a member for 10 full yearsmoonbuggy has been a member for 10 full yearsmoonbuggy has been a member for 10 full yearsmoonbuggy has been a member for 10 full yearsmoonbuggy has been a member for 10 full yearsmoonbuggy has been a member for 10 full yearsmoonbuggy has been a member for 10 full yearsmoonbuggy has been a member for 10 full yearsmoonbuggy has been a member for 10 full yearsmoonbuggy has been a member for 10 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby ihatemybike » May 16th 2012, 8:31pm

I've never seen/heard of boots being too tight, especially since they are designed to flex.

So the original was longer than the replacement? If so, then the replacement isn't long enough and it's pulling the stub out. The inner CV cup is designed to have movement in and out. If the shaft between the CVs joints isn't long enough the movement could be maxed and thus would pull on the stub. The happens most often on vehicles with suspension lifts.

On the Jeep Liberty forums we discovered that some aftermarket CVs are shorter than stock and the lifted Jeeps can't run them. NAPA remans were found to be the same length as stock.
Aaron

1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
ihatemybike
Years of Membership: ihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby moonbuggy [OP] » May 17th 2012, 12:31am

Thanks for the response. We looked at the re-man axle and the boots are made of a thicker/stiffer and less flexible material :shock: . They are also stretched further down the center shaft (the measurement between the two boots is almost an inch closer together) than on the new axle :think: ..... could that center shaft actually BE shorter like you say :wave: . I'll find out shortly :whistle: , supposed to pick him up tonite :shifty: and post up. Thanks again
Original Poster [OP]
moonbuggy
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby moonbuggy [OP] » May 17th 2012, 5:26am

So that didn't work :| . Installed new axle and it stays in on the lift but when you drive it the stub axle popped out again :blah: . What does the spring retainer click into (gear or bushing) and :idea: could that split/crack and be expanding under the force of driving :?:. Now back to :cheers:
Original Poster [OP]
moonbuggy
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby ihatemybike » May 17th 2012, 4:39pm

It clicks into a groove in the spider gear. The grooves usually don't get much wear, but it can happen.
Aaron

ihatemybike
Alias (AKA):

Postby moonbuggy [OP] » May 18th 2012, 5:37am

So the mech. tracked down my original(core) axle, in its return box :dance: . It measures a inch longer, when fully compressed, than all three replacement axles. Seems this could be the reason the stub keeps pulling out :wave: . Whats the deal with that :confused: ? Thinking of rebuilding the original.... :shrug: ??
Original Poster [OP]
moonbuggy
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Corsemoto » May 18th 2012, 5:53am

I know you have the earlier style but what brand is it?

That's good to know, I replaced my originals recently with these GSP from Advance Auto (lifetime warranty) and didn't even think to measure the length. I mean, I compared them closely but didn't go that far. I'm not surprised aftermarket companies trying to shave whatever they can off of materials and production costs.

I'm going from 2" to 3" body lift pucks here pretty soon so I can back off the torsion bars a bit to get a better angle on the shafts and still keep the same height in the front. It's almost worth pulling a cv axle when I do it to compare to the original axles.

Corsemoto
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Corsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 39
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LT AWD

Postby moonbuggy [OP] » May 18th 2012, 5:53pm

Thanks- Sorta looks like those boots on that new axle are about an inch closer together than on the old one.....? Replacement axles have come from; AutoZone, O'Reilly's and Napa. All measure 20 7/16in. when fully compressed. The OME axle is 21 1/2in. respectively. GM wants almost 4 bills for the center shaft alone :naughty: and has discontinued offering complete axles for this application :evil: . Shaving an inch off every shaft might be good for their production costs but is it the appropriate thing for the end user :roll: .... I'm thinking no one wants to be driving around wondering wether an axle popped out after hitting a pothole of speedbump.... turned-up torsion bars don't increase suspension travel or place the half-shafts out of their intended extreme operating range.... and I operate him to the extreme :lol: . Any thoughts on stud shaft play/wiggle.... how much is too much :?: .
Original Poster [OP]
moonbuggy
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby ihatemybike » May 18th 2012, 7:16pm

Might be able to use the stock center shaft with the new ends.

Wonder if the ones at Advance are right. If I can find some down time tonight I'll measure one.
Aaron

ihatemybike
Alias (AKA):

Postby moonbuggy [OP] » May 20th 2012, 6:12pm

Thanks, thats exactly what the mech. was doing and then after tearing down two half-shafts he discovered .... the stock axles and aftermarket axles are the same length internally :shrug: . So here's the problem.... wait for it :oops: , think "track tensioner".... The new axles are built up while being fully compressed, with all new seals, grease and boots. The grease pack won't allow the axle to extend fully as everything is air-tight (creating suction) and the grease can't move to the other side. The solution was to release the boot seals, extend the axle out and get the grease to the outer-side of the CV joint :doh:, re-pack and re-seal. It's stayed put for two days with no leaks :clap:. Obviously the mech. went thru a lot to work this out..... and only billed me for installing an axle..... I'll be sending him some bussiness :wave: !! He also installed new idler arms, found and welded cracks where the A-arms meet the frame.... just to be sure bad steering components weren't the cause :rockon: . Hope this helps some other people :rolling:
Original Poster [OP]
moonbuggy
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby ihatemybike » May 21st 2012, 4:42am

Sounds like a lot of work. Glad it's all fixed now.
Aaron

ihatemybike
Alias (AKA):