awd switch

awd switch

Postby gmcvanman [OP] » December 24th 2012, 8:50pm

i was plotting my van projects, at work when im bored i think bout hot rodding or customisizin vans , trucks e.x i was goin to get a 2.8l s10 fer scootin and then i thaught thats guna get mpg sure its quick sure but they made a turbo 2.8 thats better haha, so any ways i thaught bout all ya van buddies of mine that have the early awd with ft awd and idk if this will help but how bout wiring in a switch to open the awd circuit unless u turned it on? the people who have done a lot w awd or vans in general would know if this will work or not im still new i love my ol van and im here fer wisdom lol :banana:
260k n counting, future LS3 mustang killer :-)
Original Poster [OP]
gmcvanman
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: gmcvanman has been a member for 8 full yearsgmcvanman has been a member for 8 full yearsgmcvanman has been a member for 8 full yearsgmcvanman has been a member for 8 full yearsgmcvanman has been a member for 8 full yearsgmcvanman has been a member for 8 full yearsgmcvanman has been a member for 8 full yearsgmcvanman has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 48
Alias (AKA): safariowner vanman
Van Model Year: 2000
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: rwd 4.3l cargo van

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Toggle switch torq conv. lockup PWM
    by M_a_t_t » August 21st 2020, 6:04pm in Automatic
    9 Replies
    Last post by M_a_t_t View the latest post
    September 5th 2020, 10:36pm
  • 1997 AWD - can you assist re my trans/ xfer case
    by swing » October 26th 2020, 6:01am in Automatic
    10 Replies
    Last post by sixsix View the latest post
    October 29th 2020, 10:44pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    January 16th 2021, 9:21am

Re: awd switch

Postby jrsride2002 » February 21st 2013, 12:38am

I asked my machanic friend the same/similar question. He suggested swapping or figure in the Jimmy setup. He said a Jimmy has a button for 4x4 and some sort of a vacumm line. He would certainly know better then I would, so thats where I will be starting my searches, when I get some free time.... :banghead:

You might want to start your own searches there...

Just a thought,
~Junior
2001 RWD: E-Fan mod(Ford mystique/contour), 1" radiator swap , external trans AND oil coolers (2)Flex a lite 3826, firestone air bag helpers

2000 AWD: Offroad/camping Project
jrsride2002
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: jrsride2002 has been a member for 11 full yearsjrsride2002 has been a member for 11 full yearsjrsride2002 has been a member for 11 full yearsjrsride2002 has been a member for 11 full yearsjrsride2002 has been a member for 11 full yearsjrsride2002 has been a member for 11 full yearsjrsride2002 has been a member for 11 full yearsjrsride2002 has been a member for 11 full yearsjrsride2002 has been a member for 11 full yearsjrsride2002 has been a member for 11 full yearsjrsride2002 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 37
Alias (AKA): Junior
Van Model Year: 2001
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LS V6 RWD

Postby redfury » February 21st 2013, 3:37am

My AWD was swapped out for a 4x4 transfer case out of the S 10 line. I looked into the design quite a bit recently. While my front axle is engaged all the time, the transfer case only runs in 2wd until I command it to run in 4wHI or LO.

The S 10 platform uses a vacuum operated front axle disconnect. The transfer case has a 3 pronged vacuum switch that gets vacuum and runs two lines to operate the vacuum actuator. It simply uses a fork in the passenger side front axle that moves the engagement gear in and out of engagement. It also sends a signal to the controller that the axle is engaged or not.

Now, you can't go using 4wd on dry pavement this way as the transfer case binds up after a few miles, but if you opt to go up to the 4 button transfer case, it has a clutch system similar to the AWD case that allows full time 4wd. However, the 4 button requires wheel speed sensor input as well and probably would only really work well on the newest of our vans as far as wiring integration goes.

The axle could be converted to the S 10 style as the axle shafts are the same from what I remember reading, it's just a matter of wanting to do all the extra work or not. I don't think there'd be a significant gain from it. I could be wrong though, I'm new to all this drivetrain stuff and everything I've written here is knowledge gained only by reading and research and what I've experienced with my set up.
A temporary fix usually becomes a permanent solution, therefore it does not exist.
doghouse removal by me!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIJ0kuROlbU
redfury
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: redfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 53
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: LT 5.7L 4wd

Postby Drummernaut » February 21st 2013, 1:22pm

gmcvanman wrote:i thaught bout all ya van buddies of mine that have the early awd with ft awd and idk if this will help but how bout wiring in a switch to open the awd circuit unless u turned it on? the people who have done a lot w awd or vans in general would know if this will work or not im still new i love my ol van and im here fer wisdom lol :banana:

From what I understand the early AWD(before 99) are mechanical with no wiring or electronics.

For 99 and up you could take the circuit I messed with here( viewtopic.php?f=70&t=17236 ) and modify it like in the picture below. I wanted an approach that would allow the electronic circuit to see a load no matter what. Either the load goes to the motor or to the dump resistor. I think this would be better than turning the whole electronic circuit on and off with a switch or by pulling the fuse. You would not have an AWD service light and you could use a lighted switch/push button mounted anywhere.
Attachments
AWDdump.jpg
Components would be a 12VDC DPDT 20 amp relay and base $30+ from grainger. A switch/push button from car parts store and a 1 ohm 300W resistor. We have a few lying around at work but you can find them on Ebay.
1999 Astro LT AWD
MODS: Electric fan, Transmission cooler/fan, AWD engaged LED
Drummernaut
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Drummernaut has been a member for 10 full yearsDrummernaut has been a member for 10 full yearsDrummernaut has been a member for 10 full yearsDrummernaut has been a member for 10 full yearsDrummernaut has been a member for 10 full yearsDrummernaut has been a member for 10 full yearsDrummernaut has been a member for 10 full yearsDrummernaut has been a member for 10 full yearsDrummernaut has been a member for 10 full yearsDrummernaut has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 9
Alias (AKA): Drummer From Hell
Van Model Year: 1999
Extra Info: LT V6 AWD

Postby Drummernaut » February 21st 2013, 11:48pm

Drummernaut wrote: You would not have an AWD service light

I have been corrected, you will get DTC codes with too much of a slip difference as in doing donuts!!! Or driving in the snow with this switch enabled.
1999 Astro LT AWD
MODS: Electric fan, Transmission cooler/fan, AWD engaged LED
Drummernaut
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Years of Membership: Drummernaut has been a member for 10 full yearsDrummernaut has been a member for 10 full yearsDrummernaut has been a member for 10 full yearsDrummernaut has been a member for 10 full yearsDrummernaut has been a member for 10 full yearsDrummernaut has been a member for 10 full yearsDrummernaut has been a member for 10 full yearsDrummernaut has been a member for 10 full yearsDrummernaut has been a member for 10 full yearsDrummernaut has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 9
Alias (AKA): Drummer From Hell
Van Model Year: 1999
Extra Info: LT V6 AWD