shifter wont move

shifter wont move

Postby SIGHTS AND SOUNDS [OP] » July 28th 2009, 6:15pm

Ok , i just walked out to get in my van. started it up and tried to shift into reverse. nothing. i put almost all my weight into it and it wont budge. i rocked the van back and forth thinking it was stuck but nothing. my driveway has a very minumal slope but i have noticed lately it has been tough to shift out of park. now i am stuck home trying to think of what is wrong. i guess i need to see if the linkage cable is still there or at least not kinked or something. If anyone has any suggestions please help me out plzzzzzzzz kind of need to find a job lol :banghead:
96 chevy astro ,burnt orange, 20's, xenon body kit ...looking for cat grill...more to come
Original Poster [OP]
SIGHTS AND SOUNDS
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: SIGHTS AND SOUNDS has been a member for 11 full yearsSIGHTS AND SOUNDS has been a member for 11 full yearsSIGHTS AND SOUNDS has been a member for 11 full yearsSIGHTS AND SOUNDS has been a member for 11 full yearsSIGHTS AND SOUNDS has been a member for 11 full yearsSIGHTS AND SOUNDS has been a member for 11 full yearsSIGHTS AND SOUNDS has been a member for 11 full yearsSIGHTS AND SOUNDS has been a member for 11 full yearsSIGHTS AND SOUNDS has been a member for 11 full yearsSIGHTS AND SOUNDS has been a member for 11 full yearsSIGHTS AND SOUNDS has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 7
Alias (AKA):

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • number 2 on automatic transmission shifter
    by Olivier02 » June 13th 2020, 9:22pm in Automatic
    4 Replies
    Last post by SportsBoy View the latest post
    June 14th 2020, 12:51am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    September 23rd 2020, 5:14pm

Re: shifter wont move

Postby Leeann_93 » July 28th 2009, 6:54pm

Do you put the parking brake on before you take your foot off the brake when you park?

Sounds to me like the parking pawl is stuck in the tranny...
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby SIGHTS AND SOUNDS [OP] » July 28th 2009, 6:57pm

Leeann_93 wrote:Do you put the parking brake on before you take your foot off the brake when you park?

Sounds to me like the parking pawl is stuck in the tranny...

i have been recently but i didnt do it this time. i noticed when i do put the parking brake it has been easier. guess i am gonna have to reseaqrch where the parking pawl is .
96 chevy astro ,burnt orange, 20's, xenon body kit ...looking for cat grill...more to come
Original Poster [OP]
SIGHTS AND SOUNDS
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Years of Membership: SIGHTS AND SOUNDS has been a member for 11 full yearsSIGHTS AND SOUNDS has been a member for 11 full yearsSIGHTS AND SOUNDS has been a member for 11 full yearsSIGHTS AND SOUNDS has been a member for 11 full yearsSIGHTS AND SOUNDS has been a member for 11 full yearsSIGHTS AND SOUNDS has been a member for 11 full yearsSIGHTS AND SOUNDS has been a member for 11 full yearsSIGHTS AND SOUNDS has been a member for 11 full yearsSIGHTS AND SOUNDS has been a member for 11 full yearsSIGHTS AND SOUNDS has been a member for 11 full yearsSIGHTS AND SOUNDS has been a member for 11 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Leeann_93 » July 28th 2009, 7:01pm

It's in the transmission...
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby SIGHTS AND SOUNDS [OP] » July 28th 2009, 7:03pm

darn..that means its got to go to the shop.
Original Poster [OP]
SIGHTS AND SOUNDS
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Alias (AKA):

Postby xequar » July 28th 2009, 8:27pm

Van's a '96? From '93 and onward, the Astro/Safaris had a safety switch that requires one depress the brake pedal, or else you can't shift from park. The basic idea was to keep little kids from firing up the engine and accidentally shifting into a gear. Most GMs had these switches from the early '90s onward, and it was pretty common for them to fail.

Try this: Get in and put your foot on the brake. Turn on the key (to the Run position), but do NOT start the engine. Try shifting to Neutral.

If you can shift it to neutral, that means that the safety switch (can't remember what it's called now...) has gone bad. The good news is that you can start the van in Neutral and shift into whatever gear once it's running.
xequar
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Years of Membership: xequar has been a member for 11 full yearsxequar has been a member for 11 full yearsxequar has been a member for 11 full yearsxequar has been a member for 11 full yearsxequar has been a member for 11 full yearsxequar has been a member for 11 full yearsxequar has been a member for 11 full yearsxequar has been a member for 11 full yearsxequar has been a member for 11 full yearsxequar has been a member for 11 full yearsxequar has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: Formerly 4.3L XT

Postby SIGHTS AND SOUNDS [OP] » July 28th 2009, 8:34pm

xequar wrote:Van's a '96? From '93 and onward, the Astro/Safaris had a safety switch that requires one depress the brake pedal, or else you can't shift from park. The basic idea was to keep little kids from firing up the engine and accidentally shifting into a gear. Most GMs had these switches from the early '90s onward, and it was pretty common for them to fail.

Try this: Get in and put your foot on the brake. Turn on the key (to the Run position), but do NOT start the engine. Try shifting to Neutral.

If you can shift it to neutral, that means that the safety switch (can't remember what it's called now...) has gone bad. The good news is that you can start the van in Neutral and shift into whatever gear once it's running.

i have tried the whole brake thing. just got off the phone with my local chevy dearler ...go figure its called Jeff Gordon Chevy, and they said its not the pawl switch. they said its probally electrical, something with that brake switch...who the eff knows now. i will have to try and find the brake switch.

ty for the help. :ty:
Original Poster [OP]
SIGHTS AND SOUNDS
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Alias (AKA):

Postby xequar » July 28th 2009, 9:10pm

SIGHTS AND SOUNDS wrote:
xequar wrote:Van's a '96? From '93 and onward, the Astro/Safaris had a safety switch that requires one depress the brake pedal, or else you can't shift from park. The basic idea was to keep little kids from firing up the engine and accidentally shifting into a gear. Most GMs had these switches from the early '90s onward, and it was pretty common for them to fail.

i have tried the whole brake thing. just got off the phone with my local chevy dearler ...go figure its called Jeff Gordon Chevy, and they said its not the pawl switch. they said its probally electrical, something with that brake switch...who the eff knows now. i will have to try and find the brake switch.

ty for the help. :ty:

Even with the engine off, but the key on, you still can't shift out of Park? Hmm... On all the GMs I've ever experienced that safety switch failure, as long as the engine wasn't running, you could shift from park into Neutral, start the engine, then drive away. I don't know if the switch is a solenoid of some sort or just an electric switch in the 90s GMs, though.

The parking pawl that was mentioned earlier is a physical bit in the transmission. It's a pin that, when you shift into park, mates into a groove on a disk, and it's that force that keeps the vehicle from rolling while it's in Park (when you shift into Park and feel the vehicle roll slightly, that's the pawl slipping into the groove). Forgive me if I'm going over stuff you knew, but I sensed some confusion earlier.

Please, do let us know what you come up with, though, and good luck!
xequar
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Years of Membership: xequar has been a member for 11 full yearsxequar has been a member for 11 full yearsxequar has been a member for 11 full yearsxequar has been a member for 11 full yearsxequar has been a member for 11 full yearsxequar has been a member for 11 full yearsxequar has been a member for 11 full yearsxequar has been a member for 11 full yearsxequar has been a member for 11 full yearsxequar has been a member for 11 full yearsxequar has been a member for 11 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby SIGHTS AND SOUNDS [OP] » July 28th 2009, 9:27pm

ok i got brake lights so my brake switch is good from what i was told. i hear the seloniod clicking too after i took all the plastics off the column ,,,,btw anyone have those pieces for sale.....dont ask..lmao but i cant think of anything else it could be
Original Poster [OP]
SIGHTS AND SOUNDS
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Alias (AKA):

Postby SIGHTS AND SOUNDS [OP] » July 30th 2009, 12:01am

ok towed the van to a shop and it was the parking rod inside the tranny. it was shot. only ran me $183. not too bad. i was expecting the worse. thank you for everyone and their input.
Original Poster [OP]
SIGHTS AND SOUNDS
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Alias (AKA):

Postby Leeann_93 » July 30th 2009, 12:19am

SIGHTS AND SOUNDS wrote:ok towed the van to a shop and it was the parking rod inside the tranny. it was shot. only ran me $183. not too bad. i was expecting the worse. thank you for everyone and their input.

not too bad from a shop, considering it's inside the tranny.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Alias (AKA):

Postby xequar » July 30th 2009, 12:31am

Thanks for the info, and glad it worked out for you!
xequar
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby SIGHTS AND SOUNDS [OP] » July 30th 2009, 1:43am

tell me bout it. i thought i was gonna have to grab my ankles!!!!! lmao
Original Poster [OP]
SIGHTS AND SOUNDS
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Alias (AKA):