Broken flexplate questions 1999 LS

Broken flexplate questions 1999 LS

Postby CougarsLS [OP] » February 15th 2014, 11:13pm

Hey I did to find the answer to my question with the search function but I was not successful. So here I go! I believe I have broken my flexplate or have a bad torque converter or both. The transmission has been shifting fine and will go into any gear but will not move the van. Yes I have checked the fluids and its not low and its clean with no bad smells. I recently changed the starter and there was wear on the nose cone from the ring gear coming in contact with it and now the starter engages but doesn't turn the ring gear and I can hear it spinning freely. Not a good sign. I had taken off and the transmission shifted into to second and then nothing but free spinning. My question is do I remove the transmission from the bellhousing or can I remove the transmission and the bellhousing together? My next move is to jack it up and remove the starter and look for damage. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by CougarsLS on February 15th 2014, 11:28pm, edited 1 time in total.
Original Poster [OP]
CougarsLS
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: CougarsLS has been a member for 9 full yearsCougarsLS has been a member for 9 full yearsCougarsLS has been a member for 9 full yearsCougarsLS has been a member for 9 full yearsCougarsLS has been a member for 9 full yearsCougarsLS has been a member for 9 full yearsCougarsLS has been a member for 9 full yearsCougarsLS has been a member for 9 full yearsCougarsLS has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 18
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LS

Re: Broken flexplate questions 1999 LS

Postby RECox286 » February 15th 2014, 11:22pm

I have replaced flex plates with out unbolting the tranny, you should be able to accomplish

the same thing working underneath the truck. It helps to have the truck raised up at least

6 or 8 inches to give you some elbow room to squirm around. If you are going to do this

outside in the weather, it might be a good idea to set up a fan to help keep you cool ! (Ha.)

Keep truck'n

Uncle Bob
Start a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life.

Sent using two Progresso soup cans and a string
RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 40
Alias (AKA): Uncle Bob
Van Model Year: 1993
Extra Info: RWD V6 [325K mi]

Postby CougarsLS [OP] » February 15th 2014, 11:33pm

Thanks for the reply. So there is enough room to get at it? do I have to remove the transmission completely?
Original Poster [OP]
CougarsLS
Years of Membership: CougarsLS has been a member for 9 full yearsCougarsLS has been a member for 9 full yearsCougarsLS has been a member for 9 full yearsCougarsLS has been a member for 9 full yearsCougarsLS has been a member for 9 full yearsCougarsLS has been a member for 9 full yearsCougarsLS has been a member for 9 full yearsCougarsLS has been a member for 9 full yearsCougarsLS has been a member for 9 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby RECox286 » February 15th 2014, 11:37pm

Read the post...tranny no has to be unbolted from engine block.

Uncle Bob

RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full years

Postby CougarsLS [OP] » February 16th 2014, 12:10am

Yes I understand that I leave the transmission attached to the bellhousing my question is can I just slide it back to gain enough room or do I just drop it out completely. Thanks again for your help.
Original Poster [OP]
CougarsLS
Alias (AKA):

Postby RECox286 » February 16th 2014, 6:06am

There should be enough play in the torque converter to slide it into the tranny to get to the

flex plate fasteners that hold it to the crankshaft. You will need a tool to hold the flex plate

while you break the torque on the bolts.

Uncle Bob

RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)

Postby CougarsLS [OP] » February 17th 2014, 12:28am

Definitely a broken flex. I removed the starter and the small round inspection cover on the bellhousing and I can turn the flex plate by hand. My hope is now that its just the flex plate that is broken and not the bolts the hold it to the crank shaft. I'm hoping not to have to drop the exhaust to gain enough room can you give me an idea of how much room I need this is my first time doing this on a 99 Astro.
Original Poster [OP]
CougarsLS
Alias (AKA):

Postby paulo57509 » February 17th 2014, 9:42am

CougarsLS wrote:Hey I did to find the answer to my question with the search function but I was not successful. So here I go! I believe I have broken my flexplate or have a bad torque converter or both. The transmission has been shifting fine and will go into any gear but will not move the van. Yes I have checked the fluids and its not low and its clean with no bad smells. I recently changed the starter and there was wear on the nose cone from the ring gear coming in contact with it and now the starter engages but doesn't turn the ring gear and I can hear it spinning freely. Not a good sign. I had taken off and the transmission shifted into to second and then nothing but free spinning. My question is do I remove the transmission from the bellhousing or can I remove the transmission and the bellhousing together? My next move is to jack it up and remove the starter and look for damage. Thanks in advance.

CougarsLS wrote:Definitely a broken flex. I removed the starter and the small round inspection cover on the bellhousing and I can turn the flex plate by hand. My hope is now that its just the flex plate that is broken and not the bolts the hold it to the crank shaft. I'm hoping not to have to drop the exhaust to gain enough room can you give me an idea of how much room I need this is my first time doing this on a 99 Astro.

Even though the bell housing and transmission case are two separate pieces, they both have to come out as a unit.

The converters and their pipes may have to be removed in order to be able to move the transmission back enough for you to get to all the flex plate-to-crankshaft fasteners. You'll have to make this assessment when you get there.
paulo57509
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: paulo57509 has been a member for 11 full yearspaulo57509 has been a member for 11 full yearspaulo57509 has been a member for 11 full yearspaulo57509 has been a member for 11 full yearspaulo57509 has been a member for 11 full yearspaulo57509 has been a member for 11 full yearspaulo57509 has been a member for 11 full yearspaulo57509 has been a member for 11 full yearspaulo57509 has been a member for 11 full yearspaulo57509 has been a member for 11 full yearspaulo57509 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 24
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2003
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: RWD