Front differential / CV axles ???

Front differential / CV axles ???

Postby trlentz [OP] » April 14th 2014, 5:22pm

I have a lifted 2000 AWD Astro, the MagicBus,that I just replaced the right & left CV axles and hub assembly on, when trying to rotate the passengers side hub to get the hub assembly bolts lose I had a little difficulty rotating it to get to the bolts, (turned in quarters with a start & stop motion, not to difficult but not a smooth roll) When putting every thing on the (Passengers side) back together I had the same problem but the hub & axle almost would not turn, so I took it all back apart checked to see what the issue might be (Thinking that the JV axle was binding ) put it back together and it rotated freely but with a slight stop & start quarterly in the rolling motion similar to when I took it apart the first time. With every thing buttoned back up I proceeded to drive it after driving it in town for about 20 miles making right and left turns i noticed a slight vibration on the passengers side and when I made right hand turns the wheel had a more prominent vibration, I thought what the Hey! So the next day I drove it about another 35 miles running errands around town paying greater attention to what was going on with the right side while making turns and things seemed to be getting worse so I got back to the house set all fours up on stands and ran it in drive, three wheels turned but the right front did not, I then put it in Neutral and spun each wheel starting with the right first, it was really hard to turn, turned in quarters with the start and stop motions I had to use a lot of strenth to turn it, the other wheels turned freely with no effort.

I then went Back to the right front and started rotating the wheel and watching the CV axle, it appeared that the axle was binding and even pushing the upper control arm up and down and the axis of the wheel would would push out away from the frame on the top. I SAID A HA! cheap Chines made CV Axle(Tough One), I took it out and took it back to Advance A/P and exchanged it for another one, re-installed it and WALA! the same problem. I then examined every thing a bit closer on both the right and left sides, and have the drive line motion that looks a bit unbalanced on both sides, with both sides having upper control arm up and outward motion on the wheels vertical axis, all though not as pronounced on the left side.

I am now Thinking (and it really hurts!) that I may have a differential problem, Any Thoughts????
Original Poster [OP]
trlentz
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Years of Membership: trlentz has been a member for 9 full yearstrlentz has been a member for 9 full yearstrlentz has been a member for 9 full yearstrlentz has been a member for 9 full yearstrlentz has been a member for 9 full yearstrlentz has been a member for 9 full yearstrlentz has been a member for 9 full yearstrlentz has been a member for 9 full yearstrlentz has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 5
Alias (AKA): MagicBus
Van Model Year: 2000
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: AWD