Won't shift past 3rd gear. But only some days.

Re: Won't shift past 3rd gear. But only some days.

Postby hardlecure » April 5th 2010, 4:09am

I'm not sure... so don't quote me on this...

But I did read in another topic in the forums somewhere that the TPS has something to do with bad shifts... I don't know if replacing it will help you or not... But it is only 30 or 35 bucks for a 95 tps last I checked :/

It's the only help I can offer.
A$$, Gas or Grass.... Nobody Rides For Free
hardlecure
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: hardlecure has been a member for 10 full yearshardlecure has been a member for 10 full yearshardlecure has been a member for 10 full yearshardlecure has been a member for 10 full yearshardlecure has been a member for 10 full yearshardlecure has been a member for 10 full yearshardlecure has been a member for 10 full yearshardlecure has been a member for 10 full yearshardlecure has been a member for 10 full yearshardlecure has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 15
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: One Wheel Peel

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Lost 3rd (D) gear, Ideas???
    by soutthpaw » June 29th 2020, 2:54am in Automatic
    2 Replies
    Last post by soutthpaw View the latest post
    June 29th 2020, 11:23pm
  • Lost Reverse & 2nd Gear, Ecode752=Shift Solenoid A stuck on
    by RandyHip » September 21st 2020, 9:03pm in Automatic
    1 Replies
    Last post by Leeann_93 View the latest post
    September 21st 2020, 10:26pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    October 22nd 2020, 7:16am

Postby Astroplane » April 5th 2010, 5:03am

Do you think your trans is starting in 3rd gear when hot? Think if you had a car with a stickshift, at stop, put it in 3rd or 4th and let off the clutch. Is that what it is doing?
Astroplane
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)
Years of Membership: Astroplane has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 4
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: LT RWD

Postby g0t0pless [OP] » April 5th 2010, 5:32am

Astroplane wrote:Do you think your trans is starting in 3rd gear when hot? Think if you had a car with a stickshift, at stop, put it in 3rd or 4th and let off the clutch. Is that what it is doing?

Precisely. Won't shift out of 3rd up or down. But I can still manually shift it into any gear other than OD.
Original Poster [OP]
g0t0pless
Years of Membership: g0t0pless has been a member for 10 full yearsg0t0pless has been a member for 10 full yearsg0t0pless has been a member for 10 full yearsg0t0pless has been a member for 10 full yearsg0t0pless has been a member for 10 full yearsg0t0pless has been a member for 10 full yearsg0t0pless has been a member for 10 full yearsg0t0pless has been a member for 10 full yearsg0t0pless has been a member for 10 full yearsg0t0pless has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 50
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari

Postby Astroplane » April 5th 2010, 6:33am

The symptom fits except for the hi-stall converter. I don't fully understand what a PCM flash would do to fix this on a stock van. I think there is a system voltage connection that goes open when hot. Got a digital meter?
Astroplane
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)
Years of Membership: Astroplane has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 10 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby g0t0pless [OP] » April 5th 2010, 1:16pm

Astroplane wrote:Got a digital meter?

Yes, and I know how to use it. Just tell me what to check, and where to check it.
Original Poster [OP]
g0t0pless
Years of Membership: g0t0pless has been a member for 10 full yearsg0t0pless has been a member for 10 full yearsg0t0pless has been a member for 10 full yearsg0t0pless has been a member for 10 full yearsg0t0pless has been a member for 10 full yearsg0t0pless has been a member for 10 full yearsg0t0pless has been a member for 10 full yearsg0t0pless has been a member for 10 full yearsg0t0pless has been a member for 10 full yearsg0t0pless has been a member for 10 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Woodweasel » April 5th 2010, 4:29pm

I had a similar situation a few month back. It would shift fine, but every once in awhile it would act up and not want to shift. Now the kicker was that my gearshift indicator on the column would flash on and off. No check engine light either and no Code. My trans guy said he didnt think there was any thing wrong with the trans, so he did a little pocking around and found the electronic part of the ignition switch , the square part under the switch itself on the column, was not sending a signal/power to the trans all the time. So the trans wouldnt get any power and it would go into "Limp Home Mode" 3rd only, as he called it. He replaced the switch and it shifts like new.
Woodweasel
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Woodweasel has been a member for 11 full yearsWoodweasel has been a member for 11 full yearsWoodweasel has been a member for 11 full yearsWoodweasel has been a member for 11 full yearsWoodweasel has been a member for 11 full yearsWoodweasel has been a member for 11 full yearsWoodweasel has been a member for 11 full yearsWoodweasel has been a member for 11 full yearsWoodweasel has been a member for 11 full yearsWoodweasel has been a member for 11 full yearsWoodweasel has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 36
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 140K miles

Postby g0t0pless [OP] » April 5th 2010, 8:01pm

Woodweasel wrote:I had a similar situation a few month back. It would shift fine, but every once in awhile it would act up and not want to shift. Now the kicker was that my gearshift indicator on the column would flash on and off. No check engine light either and no Code. My trans guy said he didnt think there was any thing wrong with the trans, so he did a little pocking around and found the electronic part of the ignition switch , the square part under the switch itself on the column, was not sending a signal/power to the trans all the time. So the trans wouldnt get any power and it would go into "Limp Home Mode" 3rd only, as he called it. He replaced the switch and it shifts like new.

That sounds like it might be related to the "click" sound below the steering column when I push thebrake to shift out of park.

I'll poke around and see if its a relay or something, because that's what it sounds like is making the noise.
Original Poster [OP]
g0t0pless
Alias (AKA):

Postby Astroplane » April 6th 2010, 8:15am

Fuse #20 10A, Pink wire, powers all the solenoids in trans. Even if you hook up your meter to read the pink wire at the trans, the open in the circuit could be a bad connection at the passenger side trans pass-through connector or inside the trans on the wiring harness you saw while the pan was off. The clicking from the brake pedal is the brake shift interlock solenoid. Only a problem when you don't hear a click.
Astroplane
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)
Alias (AKA):

Postby g0t0pless [OP] » April 6th 2010, 1:49pm

Astroplane wrote:Fuse #20 10A, Pink wire, powers all the solenoids in trans. Even if you hook up your meter to read the pink wire at the trans, the open in the circuit could be a bad connection at the passenger side trans pass-through connector or inside the trans on the wiring harness you saw while the pan was off. The clicking from the brake pedal is the brake shift interlock solenoid. Only a problem when you don't hear a click.

I'll throw a meter on it ASAP. As far as the wiring inside the pan, we did check it over thoroughly when we installed the 2 shift solenoids. So I doubt that's the problem.
Original Poster [OP]
g0t0pless
Alias (AKA):

Postby g0t0pless [OP] » April 6th 2010, 10:04pm

I stopped at a transmission shop on my way in to work. He put a code scanner on it and told me to replace my coolant temp sensor to see if it clears up. If not, bring it in and he'll have a closer look.

So, my next question is, where is this sensor located? My Hayne's book tells me, but do I access it from the doghouse or the hood? Pretty easy to get to? Whats the part #? And what about do they cost?

Of course I haven't done any research yet, I'm still at work right now.
Original Poster [OP]
g0t0pless
Alias (AKA):

Postby Astroplane » April 7th 2010, 4:14am

CTS is 2 wire sensor near thermostat housing. Was there a code for it?
Astroplane
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)
Alias (AKA):

Postby g0t0pless [OP] » April 7th 2010, 10:30pm

Astroplane wrote:CTS is 2 wire sensor near thermostat housing. Was there a code for it?

Yes, but I didn't see what it was. The transmission guy was holding the code scanner while I drove around the block.
Original Poster [OP]
g0t0pless
Alias (AKA):

Previous