Lost reverse, then every gear....stuck in park!

Lost reverse, then every gear....stuck in park!

Postby CreepiE [OP] » January 11th 2015, 3:41pm

My 99 automatic runs great. However yesterday I went to back it back into the shop and it would not shift into reverse! Drive and the other gears were fine....then they all went out and the van was stuck in park!

-Checked linkage, when gear shifter was selecting, the linkage was moving.
-The van was level, so I checked fluid and it was fine.

Called a tow, he dragged it on the flatbed, backed up, lowered it into the shop.

Before we rocked it off the ramp, I asked if I could try to drive it off.

I got in, applied the brake, and it shifted and I drove it off the ramp!!

After he left, I went thru all the gears, it shifted okay, sometimes it hesitated though.

I have a lot of calls tomorrow! I was going to test drive it today. Yesterday was bitter cold.

I wonder if something got stuck? Then the jerking and incline loosened it up?
Original Poster [OP]
CreepiE
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Years of Membership: CreepiE has been a member for 11 full yearsCreepiE has been a member for 11 full yearsCreepiE has been a member for 11 full yearsCreepiE has been a member for 11 full yearsCreepiE has been a member for 11 full yearsCreepiE has been a member for 11 full yearsCreepiE has been a member for 11 full yearsCreepiE has been a member for 11 full yearsCreepiE has been a member for 11 full yearsCreepiE has been a member for 11 full yearsCreepiE has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 21
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 Cargo

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Lost 3rd (D) gear, Ideas???
    by soutthpaw » June 29th 2020, 2:54am in Automatic
    2 Replies
    Last post by soutthpaw View the latest post
    June 29th 2020, 11:23pm
  • newby I screwed up park/neutral switch please help
    by jmoe » April 30th 2020, 4:17pm in Automatic
    21 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    May 9th 2020, 4:53am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    August 13th 2020, 11:41am

Re: Lost reverse, then every gear....stuck in park!

Postby CreepiE [OP] » January 11th 2015, 6:41pm

Well I went over to see if I could drive the van. Trans appears to engage the gears, but will not drive, or slow to drive. In reverse the van seems like it wants to stall out, but recovers.

:confused:
Original Poster [OP]
CreepiE
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Years of Membership: CreepiE has been a member for 11 full yearsCreepiE has been a member for 11 full yearsCreepiE has been a member for 11 full yearsCreepiE has been a member for 11 full yearsCreepiE has been a member for 11 full yearsCreepiE has been a member for 11 full yearsCreepiE has been a member for 11 full yearsCreepiE has been a member for 11 full yearsCreepiE has been a member for 11 full yearsCreepiE has been a member for 11 full yearsCreepiE has been a member for 11 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Meterpig » January 11th 2015, 6:50pm

Here is what I would do first. Make sure that the solenoids are actually receiving a signal from the switch and they are all working. Once that is verified, make sure your filter is in good condition and allowing fluid to cycle through. If both of those are verified, it's time to either pull the transmission out and rebuild it drop it off at a REPUTABLE rebuild place. Also, if you are confident the something is mechanically wrong...you can buy an off the shelf transmission. However, if you are at all handy, you can rebuilt it in your garage with hand tools...its sort of fred flinstone technology.
How many sensors, fuses or computers does a Bw4472 need? Zero.

1999-2005 FSM PDF (Torrent) https://www.thepiratebay.org/torrent/30867489/astro_safari_van_fsm_factory_service_manaul

2004 Astro-https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-F7bd6R/
Meterpig
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: Meterpig has been a member for 5 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 5 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 5 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 5 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 63
Alias (AKA): meterpig
Van Model Year: 2002
Extra Info: Not a minivan

Postby CreepiE [OP] » January 12th 2015, 12:56am

I went over to the shop to do something...

1. I added Seafoam and let the van run 20 minutes
2. Dropped the pan, drained fluids, installed new filter & fluid.

Started van let idle running thru the gears for about 5 minutes.

Test drive....drives fine out of the gate! No uneasy jolts, hesitation, slipping etc. Only about two miles, then got dark.

Nothing found in fluids.

One question. Is the filter SUPPOSED to come out in the pan, or will it be hanging from the trans?

I think the filter came undone, and was not allowing fluids to circulate correctly.
Original Poster [OP]
CreepiE
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Lumpy » January 12th 2015, 1:35am

CreepiE wrote:
One question. Is the filter SUPPOSED to come out in the pan, or will it be hanging from the trans?

I think the filter came undone, and was not allowing fluids to circulate correctly.

It should be pretty firmly up in the trans, not come out with the pan. I'm not sure how much clearance it would have if it weren't up there firmly. Might be close enough that it at least got SOME ATF circulation.

Maybe you didn't drive it too much to do any damage from non-circulation. Maybe that's also why the ride on the flatbed did a temporary fix. Maybe that extreme tilt allowed some juice to get up into the transmission.

Other, more knowledgable transmission experts will chime in. I don't know much about what happens from the filter northward.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby CreepiE [OP] » January 12th 2015, 1:49am

I agree! When it went out it was on an angle, then the angle reversed!
Original Poster [OP]
CreepiE
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby chevymaher » January 12th 2015, 2:03am

Filter fell off. Trans was sucking air. If it gets a air bubble it wont do anything.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby CreepiE [OP] » January 12th 2015, 7:09pm

Took it to the local mechanic....they were able to pull the old seal out and get the new one in. Reused everything, tire rotation and greased the joints.

Good to go!
Original Poster [OP]
CreepiE
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby chevymaher » January 12th 2015, 7:22pm

CreepiE wrote:Took it to the local mechanic....they were able to pull the old seal out and get the new one in. Reused everything, tire rotation and greased the joints.

Good to go!

Good deal I like happy endings.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby DRZ » January 12th 2015, 7:42pm

That happened to a 2000 Astro cargo van I was selling. It was bitter cold when the guy came to look at it and it started right up but wouldn't move in any direction. I could see all the linkage was moving but no go. Got it to my buddys shop and dropped the pan. It was soo cold the seal hardened up and let the filter drop. New filter and seal and back to normal.
DRZ
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: DRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 53
Alias (AKA): HPbyStan
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: awd cargo Alloys