Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Does Dorman 265-811 Transmission Oil Pan fit '99 astro?

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Jeepster09 
#1 ·
Hi y'all, I am about to service my transmission and want to add a drain plug to the pan. Not sure I can drill a perfect round hole, so I am willing to shell out extra $30 to buy the Dorman. However, going through the review on Amazon, I saw some one person said this pan did not fit his '00 astro.

I am wondering if anyone has put this in his/her van here? Can you share your experience? BTW, I have the deep pan. Thank y'all for reading this post.

#3 ·
chevymaher said:
Using the infamous E Bay cross reference search engine. It fits but takes a different filter because it is deeper. Problem I see is with the extra depth the exhaust may not clear it. That may be what whoever said that was talking about.
What cross reference engine is it? Could you please direct me to the correct filter? Thanks a lot. I am not trying to be lazy, just totally unfamiliar with these stuff.

#4 ·
Look up what ever your looking for on E Bay. In this case the description you used in the title. Find the part look at sellers listing. Down the page the better sellers have a enter the vehicle to see if it fits.

Summit and Jegs have them to. Jegs works better tho.

#6 ·
Reply to the guys comment on Amazon and ask him why it didn't fit. Though drilling a hole is super easy, and depending on your definition of perfect, it doesn't have to be technically perfect(you don't need a drill press or anything special) as that isn't where the drain plug kit seals, it seals around the outside of the hole that you drill. I would spend the $6-15 for the kit and drill it, pretty hard to screw up.

#7 ·
chevymaher said:
Look up what ever your looking for on E Bay. In this case the description you used in the title. Find the part look at sellers listing. Down the page the better sellers have a enter the vehicle to see if it fits.

Summit and Jegs have them to. Jegs works better tho.
I just went to a local AAP and tested the filters they have and found one that fits the pan. This works out easier than going through ebay I think.

#8 ·
AstroWill said:
cohomology said:
Hi y'all, I am about to service my transmission and want to add a drain plug to the pan. Not sure I can drill a perfect round hole, so I am willing to shell out extra $30 to buy the Dorman. However, going through the review on Amazon, I saw some one person said this pan did not fit his '00 astro.

I am wondering if anyone has put this in his/her van here? Can you share your experience? BTW, I have the deep pan. Thank y'all for reading this post.
Reply to the guys comment on Amazon and ask him why it didn't fit. Though drilling a hole is super easy, and depending on your definition of perfect, it doesn't have to be technically perfect(you don't need a drill press or anything special) as that isn't where the drain plug kit seals, it seals around the outside of the hole that you drill. I would spend the $6-15 for the kit and drill it, pretty hard to screw up.
The guys did follow up and mentioned that the pan does always fit, it is the filter that may or may not fit the pan. One of the corners of the filter needs to be "chipped" in order to fit the pan.

#9 ·
AstroWill said:
cohomology said:

Well I ordered the Dorman through jet.com and after a couple of coupon and AmEx offer, I paid about the same as for a drain plug kit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.