which brand of mount?

which brand of mount?

Postby pannebreaux [OP] » January 29th 2016, 3:13pm

been looking around and reading about transmission mounts from "different manufacturers". they all point back and forth saying each other's product sucks. dug a bit deeper and it seems they are all made by DEA. reading around different forums, the users seem to agree with the manufacturers. what's the latest consensus on the best mount to use on a rwd?
Original Poster [OP]
pannebreaux
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: pannebreaux has been a member for 5 full yearspannebreaux has been a member for 5 full yearspannebreaux has been a member for 5 full yearspannebreaux has been a member for 5 full yearspannebreaux has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 27
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1998
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro

Re: which brand of mount?

Postby chevymaher » January 29th 2016, 3:47pm

Stock one on the trans. Poly on the engine mounts. Trans tailshaft needs to move. It is a weak point. The like to break the tailcase if they held tight and the front moves. So that the best move. Hold it tight in front. Rear use rubber and let it do what it needs to do.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby AstroWill » January 29th 2016, 4:29pm

I like to use the 'Frau' brand, when mounting is desired.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business.
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby pannebreaux [OP] » January 29th 2016, 5:12pm

chevymaher wrote:Stock one on the trans. Poly on the engine mounts. Trans tailshaft needs to move. It is a weak point. The like to break the tailcase if they held tight and the front moves. So that the best move. Hold it tight in front. Rear use rubber and let it do what it needs to do.

when you say stock does that mean direct from the gm stealership?
Original Poster [OP]
pannebreaux
Years of Membership: pannebreaux has been a member for 5 full yearspannebreaux has been a member for 5 full yearspannebreaux has been a member for 5 full yearspannebreaux has been a member for 5 full yearspannebreaux has been a member for 5 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby chevymaher » January 29th 2016, 5:21pm

Just rubber as opposed to a poly or solid mount. Any old one will do. Anchor is the brand I went with.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby Lumpy » January 29th 2016, 6:20pm

I agree with Maher. I put poly on my trans rear mount and it added a lot of vibration to my van. Somewhere on my list of things to do is "Replace poly with softer rubber".

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby pannebreaux [OP] » January 29th 2016, 7:06pm

Lumpy wrote:I agree with Maher. I put poly on my trans rear mount and it added a lot of vibration to my van. Somewhere on my list of things to do is "Replace poly with softer rubber".

Lump

that's exactly what i'm up to, vibration elimination. it grumbles going down the road making me think i had a crunchy axle bearing. my extension housing bushing is worn out, so i figured while i have it apart i'd swap the circa 98 mount that has cracks and crusty abounding. it seems likes it's still intact, but ...

i saw a tool that pulls and presses the bushing from the outside without having to remove the cone. it's a bit pricey but figured i might be able to rent it from a big box laps. has anyone used it to swap their bushing? http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/v/v ... 161A-2.jpg
Original Poster [OP]
pannebreaux
Alias (AKA):