Do the tranny parts interchange between 4L60-80 and700R4

Do the tranny parts interchange between 4L60-80 and700R4

Postby chevymaherchevymaher is online! [OP] » November 17th 2010, 11:49am

I mostly messed with standard trannies in my life. I have converted everything I ever owned to a standard so I am weak in knowledge about interchange of parts on a auto. I been looking and the 4L60l80 and the 700R trannies are said to be the same transmissions basically The E being electronic shift versions of these.Question is Do the gears interchange from one to another Or is it easier to just change trannies.specifically the first and second gear sets.I want the 2.48-1.48 first and second as opposed to the 3.06-1.86 for better acceleration.My van got enough gear in the rear 4.11 and enough grunt in the engine the lower first set is really to much. It is a 94 safari I am not even sure if it is an e model or not.It does not seem to be. There are ony four wires going into the transmission other than the speedo sensor and I rekon that for the lock-up portion of the program. Any feed-back would be appreciated.Or where to go to learn more about these beast.This will be my first ever automatic hot rod. :feedback:
Original Poster [OP]
chevymaherchevymaher is online!
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • 4L60 1st gear no torque - sometimes....
    by zGerman » July 25th 2020, 3:19am in Automatic
    11 Replies
    Last post by zGerman View the latest post
    July 27th 2020, 2:19am
  • Tranny cooler install help
    by Chunkstyle » August 11th 2020, 11:13pm in Automatic
    6 Replies
    Last post by Leeann_93 View the latest post
    August 14th 2020, 12:06am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    January 22nd 2021, 4:17am

Re: Do the tranny parts interchange between 4L60-80 and700R4

Postby Phantom » November 17th 2010, 2:02pm

4L60 and 4L80 are different , but the 4L60 and 700R may have some possibility of some interchange they are closer to each other , there will likely be more chime in on this as I would have to look it up to know for sure .
Phantom
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: Phantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 15
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro

Postby Mr_Roboto » November 18th 2010, 8:00pm

The 4L80E is actually a closer relative to the TH400 than the 4L60/700R4. The 700R4 and the 4L60/65E are relatives though. All use the same ratios however you can't really "change" them. If you want to go to a lower first you might consider trying to find a decent 200R4 or 4L80. Both would be some fairly significant work to swap however. If you have a 1994 it should be an electronic variant. I believe they started in the trucks in 1992. Does it have a TV cable? 4L60Es never had a TV cable. If it has one, someone swapped harnesses/powertrains in it I would believe.
Mr_Roboto
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L2)
Years of Membership: Mr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 51
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: Heavily modified 383

Postby chevymaherchevymaher is online! [OP] » November 18th 2010, 8:25pm

It has tv cable and I know it had a tranny put in at 130 thousand miles.It was my moms then.I just want the 250-1 first gearing.So I guess I should just start looking for a tranny to put in with the V-8 Whenever this 4.3 wears out with the way it acting will be a long time.I approaching the quarter million mile club and it dont smoke and uses less than a quart of oil between changes.And I change it constantly.It only twenty bucks to do it.Any way I dont got a problem with the new motor and soon to be tranny sitting in waiting.I just pre shopping get stuff cheaper if you wait till the time is right instead of having to have it now.Thank you
Original Poster [OP]
chevymaherchevymaher is online!
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby Mr_Roboto » November 20th 2010, 8:40pm

You may look into the 200R4. It may need a few extra parts to beef it up a bit but it's a decent trans has ratios you're looking for without sacrificing the overdrive. For a 4.3L that's stock to fairly stock it should be fine they used them behind the turbo buicks which produced a lot more power. The downfalls are you're looking at a new drive shaft (it's shorter than a 700) as well as it being an RWD only transmission because the tail shaft is built in. The 80 is a great transmission but you'd need something to control it, it would probably cost you mpg because of the rotational weight and you'd probably be looking at some bucks to get one as well as needing a new transmission yoke and a driveshaft cut. Other than that it is a really nice trans though which would take a ton of power even stock.

ED:If you're not concerned about overdrive a TH-350 may be an option too. You could use a stock drive shaft, they are cheap to build up and have a good aftermarket. I would really advise this though for most people because of the loss of over drive. Just saying.
Mr_Roboto
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: Mr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 51
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: Heavily modified 383

Postby Leeann_93 » November 21st 2010, 3:07am

Just to answer your question about your '94 tranny: it is an 4L60E. They were first put in the '93 models.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD