Electrical issues - could these be related

Electrical issues - could these be related

Postby hiteq55 [OP] » January 21st 2021, 3:13am

Hi all

Jsut joined the forum, happy to be here :D

Just purchased a 2004 Astro. Have had a couple of electrical anomolys, wondering if they might be related?

To start off, I had a "bad battery" per the fellow at O"Reillys. It was charged, the car started just fine, but t he eletrical guage was fluttering a bit right about in the middle of the guage with the engine running. I got a new battery and took care of that, but I wonder if that bad battery might have some knock on effects.

The headlights are coming on just about all the time now as soon as I start the van, in park. Seems like a daytime running light issue. When I put it in park and try to shut them off with the light switch, they stay on. The previous owner had a dash cover, which covered the sensor, so I took that off. But the constant headlight think remains.

Also the radio light doesn't come on until I turn on the headlight switch, even though the radio is turned on. Not a big deal, but a little wierd.

Power door locks working on the slider and the back door, but not on the passenger, nor driver door. Power mirrors are working so it looks like I have power to the doors.

When I put the key into the ignition, the fuel guage jumps a little, like the key hitting the ignition is somehow creating a little charge. Just the fuel guage.

I checked all the ground connections at the top of the enigne compartment, all were clean. I'm going to check out the fuses and relays tomorrow am.

Other than there being the ghost of the prior owner in there someplace, I'm was just curious if this might point to one particular relay or set of relays? Or perhaps just a bunch of one off issues...

Appreciate any insights!
Original Poster [OP]
hiteq55
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA): Tom
Van Model Year: 2002
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Weird Electrical issues
    by srdragonusa » March 27th 2021, 2:35am in Electrical
    4 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    April 3rd 2021, 11:24pm
  • Electrical gremlins after battery replacement
    by Yellowstone2Yukon » November 30th 2020, 3:39pm in Electrical
    3 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    December 1st 2020, 1:07am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    April 14th 2021, 6:12am

Re: Electrical issues - could these be related

Postby Rod's Trucks » January 21st 2021, 5:36am

My first reaction is that these seemingly unrelated quirks might be a good part of the reason the van was sold.
Having a decent shop attempt to track odd electrical deficiencies is usually costly, so advice from a previous mechanic to 'get rid of it before something major happens' comes to mind.
Hopefully his loss turns out to be a fun project and worthwhile purchase for you.
I cannot think of any one thing that would tie together 'ills' with the headlights, 'some' door locks, the radio lamp and some odd quirk about the fuel gauge ( my fuel gauge seems 'twitchy' when I first turn the key, and does never seem to be rock solid when the motor is running, so maybe that is pretty common).
Do you plan on doing a fair bit of the normal maintenance work needed to maintain your van?
Do you consider yourself competent enough to try working with a wiring diagram?
If 'YES' to both,those problems mentioned are probably not going to be expensive to fix, as long as you do not value you time very highly <Grin>.
A willingness to get a wiring diagram, learn how to read it, acquire a few basic tools, and spend the time to ask questions; will go a very long way.
Help is just few key strokes way.

Edit: It is quite possible the radio lamp is tied to the headlight ( dash light) circuit, if it is just for dial illumination which is not needed during the day. Is it a factory radio, or some aftermarket installation?
Rod J
Issaquah, WA
Rod's Trucks
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Rod's Trucks has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 35
Alias (AKA): Rod and/or WE7X
Van Model Year: 1998
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: Forest Green LS AWD

Postby hiteq55 [OP] » January 21st 2021, 3:10pm

Thanks Rod

It’s a factory radio.

Pretty good with cars, don’t mind spending the time. Going to explore some more today around the door lock controls and automatic headlights/drl.

Is there is good source for a wiring diagram you know of?

Thanks

Tom
Original Poster [OP]
hiteq55
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)

Postby AstroOafAdventurer » January 21st 2021, 3:45pm

Welcome!
No clue really as to the issues, but perhaps a botched/removed aftermarket security system?
97 Astrofari Conversion Van 62k 64k miles, 65k miles
AstroOafAdventurer
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Topics: 43
Alias (AKA): Thorsteenster
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: RWD GMC grille

Postby hiteq55 [OP] » January 21st 2021, 4:11pm

Looks like AutoZone has some if your join their club. Quite a few actually.

Thanks for the welcome!
Original Poster [OP]
hiteq55
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)

Postby AstroWill » January 21st 2021, 4:58pm

hiteq55 wrote:Is there is good source for a wiring diagram you know of?

Get the factory service manual, the digital version is called the GM Techline eSI(see link in sig), has virtually everything about repairing your vehicle including the wiring diagrams.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby hiteq55 [OP] » January 21st 2021, 5:22pm

Thanks AW!
Been exploring a bit this am, including reading the owners manual :). I read how to disable the auto headlight/drl feature, which works like a champ. And when I disable it, the radio lights up. So not too concerned with this.

Gonna mess with the door lock programming late today to see if I can get either of the 2 front door actuators to fire. If that doesn’t work I’ll dig out an an actuator and check the power. If there’s power, I’ll look for a way to test the actuator before buying. Seems kinda odd to have the 2 front lock actuators go out but stuff happens :)

Thanks for the replies!
Tom
Original Poster [OP]
hiteq55
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)

Postby hiteq55 [OP] » January 22nd 2021, 1:01am

So the power lock relay is working. I messed around with the programming and still couldn’t get the front actuators to fire. I got the the drivers side actuator and was able to get a test light to fire, so it seems I have burned out actuators.

If there are any other feedback - let me know!

Many thanks!

Tom
Original Poster [OP]
hiteq55
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)

Postby BobbyD » April 7th 2021, 11:18pm

I have been following your post and I have the same problem. My fuel gauge started doing strange things, like when I turn on the turn signal it jumps back and forth. And when I start the van, it jumps from E to Full. It stays on Full and I know it's at a half a tank. Any suggestion?

Thanks

BobbyD
BobbyD
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA): BobD
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: AWD V6 SLX