97 astro alternator single brown wire HELP please!

97 astro alternator single brown wire HELP please!

Postby 97astropos [OP] » June 27th 2016, 11:52pm

Bought the van two years ago as a work van. Alternator went bad so I replaced it. Problems is the previous owner has it rigged up retarded somehow. Pretty sure they had the brown wire ran straight to a fuse under the hood. It popped out. Wonder why the would do that since the wire should already be hot. I installed the new one and had power to it but not out of the brown wire. Please help this is my work van and I'm unable to work now.
Original Poster [OP]
97astropos
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: 97astropos has been a member for 4 full years97astropos has been a member for 4 full years97astropos has been a member for 4 full years97astropos has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA): Andy
Van Model Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 4.3 2 wheel drive

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • How to find live brake wire for trailer brake
    by randynavarro » May 29th 2020, 5:46pm in Electrical
    6 Replies
    Last post by randynavarro View the latest post
    May 31st 2020, 7:18pm
  • Good High End Alternator?
    by ri$e*above » June 27th 2020, 8:00pm in Electrical
    16 Replies
    Last post by ri$e*above View the latest post
    July 4th 2020, 2:16am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    October 26th 2020, 1:49am

Re: 97 astro alternator single brown wire HELP please!

Postby 97astropos [OP] » June 28th 2016, 12:04am

Just started this account and don't know exactly how to use it LMAO
Original Poster [OP]
97astropos
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: 97astropos has been a member for 4 full years97astropos has been a member for 4 full years97astropos has been a member for 4 full years97astropos has been a member for 4 full years

Postby koco » June 28th 2016, 4:55am

Here's a link of a guy changing his alternator. Maybe it will help you...maybe not..but at least you can see one that hasn't been messed with. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUHG8d62l40
koco
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: koco has been a member for 4 full yearskoco has been a member for 4 full yearskoco has been a member for 4 full yearskoco has been a member for 4 full years
Alias (AKA): Koco
Van Model Year: 1996
Extra Info: 4.3 RWD PASSENGER 96

Postby koco » June 28th 2016, 4:57am

i googled wiring diagram and noticed the red wire has a fusible link in 2001 might want to check that. hopefully you got a good alternator.
koco
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: koco has been a member for 4 full yearskoco has been a member for 4 full yearskoco has been a member for 4 full yearskoco has been a member for 4 full years

Postby 97astropos [OP] » June 28th 2016, 6:40am

I know how to hook up an alternator. I'm getting power to it but not out the other end at the voltage regulator "brown wire". Fusible link is good as well. This is the third new alternator I've tried all the same. The brown wire is just an indicator light to the dash but I can't find original wiring. Previous owner had it ran to one of the top of the fuses in fuse block Undervthe hood. I'm assuming a key source. What is going on with this charging system. 1997 single wire alternator
Original Poster [OP]
97astropos
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)

Postby koco » June 28th 2016, 1:15pm

Check out this link. Sounds like someone else had similar problem. http://www.justanswer.com/chevy/5ayoi-c ... eable.html
koco
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)

Postby 97astropos [OP] » June 28th 2016, 5:40pm

Sounds possible but all my gauges and instruments work on the dash. The alternator they are talking about has two wires coming off that plug. Mine only has one. It's seems like the previous owner tried to bypass the pcm when they ran that wire directly into the top of a fuse in the block under the hood. It worked like that for 2 years I had before the alternator went out. It's an old work van and I just want it rigged back up so I can get to work. Please help
Original Poster [OP]
97astropos
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)

Postby swharris » July 5th 2016, 12:34am

97astropos wrote:I know how to hook up an alternator. I'm getting power to it but not out the other end at the voltage regulator "brown wire". Fusible link is good as well. This is the third new alternator I've tried all the same. The brown wire is just an indicator light to the dash but I can't find original wiring. Previous owner had it ran to one of the top of the fuses in fuse block Undervthe hood. I'm assuming a key source. What is going on with this charging system. 1997 single wire alternator

This is the charging circuit diagram (1997 / Diagram from Mitchell1).
swharris
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: swharris has been a member for 10 full yearsswharris has been a member for 10 full yearsswharris has been a member for 10 full yearsswharris has been a member for 10 full yearsswharris has been a member for 10 full yearsswharris has been a member for 10 full yearsswharris has been a member for 10 full yearsswharris has been a member for 10 full yearsswharris has been a member for 10 full yearsswharris has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 81
Alias (AKA): S4
Extra Info: 4.3 Vortec 2wd