Through body wiring options?

Through body wiring options?

Postby esc [OP] » August 21st 2016, 10:32pm

I've done a little research here and it looks like there are not any good options for routing the trailer light harness out of my 2003 Astro without drilling holes.

This got me to thinking...

There will be a lot of other things I would like to wire up all over the van and knowing the locations of pre-existing holes would be useful. So my request is this:

If you know of a plug, grommet or other factory through-hull fitting that can be used to easily get wires in/out of the cabin (especially a 2003) would you please inform me? It would be a lot easier than disassembling my entire interior, or drilling random holes only to later find a factory hole 10" away. I'm not asking for a comprehensive list of every hole in he body shell, but a few of the most convenient ones, or ones that you have found to be useful would be great. I would especially like to hear about unused factory holes that came with plastic plugs in them.

Descriptions are great, but added pictures would be even better. Make sure that you say what year van you were working on as things are likely to have changed from year to year.

Thanks.
Original Poster [OP]
esc
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: esc has been a member for 4 full yearsesc has been a member for 4 full yearsesc has been a member for 4 full yearsesc has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2003
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Harness Clip Rubbing Through
    by TBLBill » October 22nd 2020, 1:14pm in Electrical
    0 Replies
    Last post by TBLBill View the latest post
    October 22nd 2020, 1:14pm
  • Tail light wiring issues
    by Dbleeger » November 19th 2020, 12:59am in Electrical
    14 Replies
    Last post by sixsixsixsix is online! View the latest post
    November 28th 2020, 4:43pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    April 15th 2021, 6:19pm

Re: Through body wiring options?

Postby esc [OP] » August 22nd 2016, 12:20am

OK, I'll start.

I just located an unused hole with a rubber plug in it behind the passenger side tail light. It is about 3/4" in diameter. If you take out the two screws holding the tail light housing, it is above and to the right of where the brake light harness enters the area.

This doesn't really serve any of my immediate needs, but it is nice to know it is there.

I also found a small hole on the underside, outside, in a low spot, near the corner, under the passenger tail light. There is a small rubber flap covering it up and when I lifted it, a drop or two of water came out (it has been raining very hard today). I suspect that it is meant as a drain for the door frame or taillight area. The hole is probably 1/4" or 3/8".
While it might be possible to fish 3 wires through this, the wires would plug it up and it would no longer drain properly (assuming it is meant as a drain).
Here is another thread where this hole is mentioned:
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=60257#p530137

These are both in my 2003 Astro.

I suppose I'll get back to pulling out random bits of interior and see what I find.
Original Poster [OP]
esc
Years of Membership: esc has been a member for 4 full yearsesc has been a member for 4 full yearsesc has been a member for 4 full yearsesc has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2003
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro