Drivers window suddenly stopped working.

Drivers window suddenly stopped working.

Postby mystrovan [OP] » March 7th 2011, 10:09pm

Its been a long time since I've been on here to ask anything.
I've a 1998 Chevy Astro, AWD, 180,000 KMs.
With no hint of a warning, working perfectly and smooth and fast all the time, suddenly the drivers side window does not work. Luckily its up at the moment :D

Theres no movement or noise at all, totally absolutely dead. The passenger side is perfect.

So I pulled the switch away from the door to check for voltage. Theres 5 wires directly below the switches in that approx 4" long switch block. I get 11.9 volts on the brown wire for drivers window down. I get 11.9 volts on the blue wire for drivers window up. (white wire - 11.9 passenger side down, and on the grey wire - 11.9 for passenger side up). So the switch looks to be working. Arrrr :( , the easiest part to swap because I assume I have a burned motor.

The only other thing is when holding the drivers side switch down after a few seconds theres a clicking inside the switch.

So my question, would it suddenly burn out with no warning? Does anyone know whats inside the door as far as connections? I can't see anything coming unplugged from the motor, I have not taken the panel off the door so I am in the dark what to think right now. I wasn't wanting to tear in to it only to have to put it right back together un-repaired, so I can use it.

Also...does the wires from the switch to the motor go direct to the motor? or back through the door hinge elsewhere under the dash and then back to the motor?...I'm just trying to eliminate any chance a wire snapped in the hinge area of the door. I can't see any breaking inside the door. The window worked perfect every time until today.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Nils.
1998 Chev Astro AWD.
Original Poster [OP]
mystrovan
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Years of Membership: mystrovan has been a member for 12 full yearsmystrovan has been a member for 12 full yearsmystrovan has been a member for 12 full yearsmystrovan has been a member for 12 full yearsmystrovan has been a member for 12 full yearsmystrovan has been a member for 12 full yearsmystrovan has been a member for 12 full yearsmystrovan has been a member for 12 full yearsmystrovan has been a member for 12 full yearsmystrovan has been a member for 12 full yearsmystrovan has been a member for 12 full yearsmystrovan has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 15
Alias (AKA):

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • postition light not working properly
    by Danield » September 20th 2020, 8:59am in Electrical
    17 Replies
    Last post by sixsix View the latest post
    October 1st 2020, 6:45pm
  • Temp, fuel, some lights working/not on dash
    by Hiker2187 » October 21st 2020, 5:20pm in Electrical
    3 Replies
    Last post by TBLBill View the latest post
    October 22nd 2020, 7:13pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    February 25th 2021, 9:09am

Re: Drivers window suddenly stopped working.

Postby throrope » March 7th 2011, 10:58pm

My driver's side switch failed.

I'm not sure if your's is the same. Per our '94 manual, power for both windows comes from a 30 amp circuit breaker at the fuse block to each switch.

Two wires extend from the driver's side switch to the drivers side motor. Two wires extend from the passenger side switch to the passenger side motor. An additional two wires extend to the driver's side switch to the passenger side switch.

The switches normally ground both leads. When pushed, they momentarily power one or the other lead to the motor and depending on the connected pole, the motor drives the window up or down.

Since the passenger side works, that eliminates the circuit breaker and the ground to the chassis.

You may have power going to the motor, but NO GROUND. If that's the case, new switch. If not, I suspect you need a new window motor.

At the time I had to special order from the dealer. Now I expect the switch and motor are easily available online. I'd also try eBay.

Good luck and keep us posted.
throrope
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: throrope has been a member for 10 full yearsthrorope has been a member for 10 full yearsthrorope has been a member for 10 full yearsthrorope has been a member for 10 full yearsthrorope has been a member for 10 full yearsthrorope has been a member for 10 full yearsthrorope has been a member for 10 full yearsthrorope has been a member for 10 full yearsthrorope has been a member for 10 full yearsthrorope has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LT 4.3L AWD

Postby mystrovan [OP] » March 8th 2011, 12:14am

Thanks. yes i checked the circuit breaker in case there was one for each side, and theres just one as you descibed too, so thats working ok.

To give more info, since you were on about "power going to the motor but NO GROUND. If thats the case, new switch." When I checked the voltages on all 5 of the wires under the two switches as I pressed each up or down I got these voltages:

Brown wire - 0 Volt drivers side Up. 11.8 Volts drivers side Down. 0.10 Volts passenger side Up. 0.08 Volts passenger side Down.
White wire - 0 Volts drivers side Up. 0.35 Volts drivers side Down. 0.29 Volts passemger side Up. 11.97 Volts passenger side Down.
Black wire - 0 Volts drivers side Up. 0 Volts drivers side Down. 0.09 Volts passengers side Up. 0.08 Volts passengers side Down.
Grey wire - 0.36 Volts drivers side Up. 0.35 Volts drivers side Down. 11.68 Volts passenger side Up. 0.05 Volts passengers side Down.
Blue wire - 11.8 Volts drivers side Up. 0.01 Volts drivers side Down. 0.12 Volts passenger side Up. 0.09 Volts passenger side Down.

Theres a lot of 0 Volts on the driver side in the Up possition. Do you think thats the switch then? Since the passenger side never had a straight 0 Volts in any possition.
Thanks.

I guess I could run a jump wire to the wires for the drivers side, under the switch, unplugged from the switch block first, and shove a live wire in...and see if there's any life to the motor??

Nils.

EDIT: Sorry, I had put large gaps bewtween all the voltages and writing I typed for the wires, yet when it posts its all clumped together!
1998 Chev Astro AWD.
Original Poster [OP]
mystrovan
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Years of Membership: mystrovan has been a member for 12 full yearsmystrovan has been a member for 12 full yearsmystrovan has been a member for 12 full yearsmystrovan has been a member for 12 full yearsmystrovan has been a member for 12 full yearsmystrovan has been a member for 12 full yearsmystrovan has been a member for 12 full yearsmystrovan has been a member for 12 full yearsmystrovan has been a member for 12 full yearsmystrovan has been a member for 12 full yearsmystrovan has been a member for 12 full yearsmystrovan has been a member for 12 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby mystrovan [OP] » March 8th 2011, 3:02am

What???!!! I haven't been back in the van all afternoon. I just ran an errand this evening and force of habbit hit the window switch for a breeze and the window went down, and I can make it go up, and down and up and down, smooth, normally! I don't know if shutting the door jarred something back to life?? I banged the door several times earlier today when I was troubleshooting it.

Let me know if you have thought of anything. Thanks!

Nils
1998 Chev Astro AWD.
Original Poster [OP]
mystrovan
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby chevymaher » March 8th 2011, 3:35am

mystrovan wrote:What???!!! I haven't been back in the van all afternoon. I just ran an errand this evening and force of habbit hit the window switch for a breeze and the window went down, and I can make it go up, and down and up and down, smooth, normally! I don't know if shutting the door jarred something back to life?? I banged the door several times earlier today when I was troubleshooting it.

Let me know if you have thought of anything. Thanks!

Nils

mine does that dont work occasionally.Wait a minute and it works fine.Every few months it does that.I got new switches in garage.As long as they work I not messing with them.I worked on a jaguar once the window would not work.Switch had corrosion on plug.Sprayed silicon spray on plug cleaned it real good it been working every since.I always just assumed that what mine is to.Corrosion on plug and in switch or combination of both.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser