CS130D to AD244 145 amp Alternator upgrade - '94 Astro

CS130D to AD244 145 amp Alternator upgrade - '94 Astro

Postby wiky_d_whack [OP] » January 25th 2017, 12:19am

The Background:

Since I am looking to charge an aux battery and run a few extra lights I decided to upgrade my alternator. After searching the forums and only finding upgrades to 200+ amp alternators, dual alternators ( I am not trying to power half a city block) or ones that involved custom brackets mounts I decided to check out forums for other trucks that had the GM vortec 4.3L engine.

I found this wonderful s-10 forum detailing exactly the swap I wanted to do:

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f27/how-to-high-output-ad244-alternator-for-80-a-376788/

This guy did all the hard work researching various alternators and explains pretty well how most high amp alternators do not charge well at low rpm (like or Astros that Idle at about 600-700 rpm) and why the AD244 is a great option to upgrade the stock CS130D alternator

So I decided to purchase an AD244 alternator. I will probably kick myself in the *** later for purchasing a rmfd Alternator, but I was getting impatient and O'Riley had a Rmfd Delco/Delphi series alternator for $150.

O'Riley part number R112011A
Napa Part number RAY2134812

The compatibility lists: Chevy Avalanche, Express, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe, Trailblazer etc. (most are 2003-2004 or 2005-2006 model years)

couple other links and purchasing options, some with same case and higher amps:
http://www.motorcityreman.com/gmad2441wire.html
http://store.alternatorparts.com/ad244hd145-heavy-duty-145-amp-alternator.aspx

*** You will need a longer belt. I used one that is 1" longer then the stock belt so for my '94 with AC that would make it 100 1/2".

The Swap:

Note: I do not currently have my AC lines in place so I am not sure how easy this swap is if you have all the lines connected. I would assume they are not too much in the way...

First I removed the old alternator.
After taking the belt off there are 3 bolts holding the alternator down: two in the front and one to the back of the case most easily accessed if you remove the dog house. The front passenger side bolt is a 10mm and screws directly into the alternator case. The right passenger bolt is I think a 14mm or 13mm and has a nut on the back side of the bracket.

I unplugged the weather pack connector and detached the cable of the post in the back. The alternator comes right out. I also removed the extension for my oil dipstick just to get it out of the way.

Here is the picture of the two alternators side by side.

Both connectors are identical
AD244

CS130D

I removed the tensioner to give myself more room it is held on by a 13mm bolt that has a nut in the back.

Next I realized that the bolt that came out of the passenger side front bracket was a) too short and b) smaller diameter then the corresponding hole in the new alternator bracket. Since the mount is held in place by 3 14mm bolts I decided to take it off to make it easier to drill out the hole to fit a M10 bolt.

Alternator mount

If you are crafty you might be able to do it in place although it is pretty tight in there.

This step I don't think is necessary but in case it was I decided to give it a try:

There is a black bracket in the back of the mount whose only purpose was to hold the back of the old alternator. After doing this quick mod I don't think it is was entirely necessary (as pointed out in the s-10 forum) But since it is done I will talk about it anyways.

I decided to cut one end of it off to rotate the bracket just enough that once I get a longer bolt and shim I can thread a bolt through the front passenger side bracket all the way to the back mount to give the alternator a little more support. Like I said I don't think this is necessary because as Dkgarnet96 pointed out the AD244 has a much wider bracket then the CS133D alternator on that side and that should keep the alternator from wanting to be pulled down and to the front by the tension of the belt.

I lined the black bracket up on the back of the mount in line with the hole on the front of the mount. I threaded in the 14mm bolts to hold the mount back in its original place on the engine and tightened it just enough to eliminate any play but not so tight that I can't adjust the placement of the back bracket. I then put the alternator in place. Threaded the driver side bolt in (used the bolt and nut that came off the old alternator)
and place a 1/4" long extension through the mount, the bolt hole on the alternator all the way to one of the holes of the back bracket.
Now that I had all that lined up I tightened down the 3 14mm bolts of the mount. I took out the long extansion and connected all the wires and put the last bolt in.

Front view

Back view

Back to the swap

For the bolt on the driver side part of the mount I used a ~3" M10 bolt through the hole I drilled and into the mounting hole on the alternator with a nut on the back. It was a pretty tight fit and had to basically screw it into place to get it through both the mounts.

You may have to grind down the AD244 alternator case and the case of the tensioner a tiny bit at the point where they come together (I just used a hand held file and took off about 1mm each). It is tight in there and I am not sure if it was the new tensioner I put in recently or if they are all exactly that size but once I bolted everything in the tensioner didn't want to budge. So I would suggest putting the new alternator all the way in, screwing the tensioner in place and then seeing if it moves like it should before routing the belt. If it feels stuck. take the tensioner off and file a little bit off where they touch and up to the point where you will need it to rotate to.

Tensioner in place

Where I began to file

I filed off that little tab and then a little bit up and away from the arm.

When it moves smoothly it is time to put the belt on an enjoy your new 145 amp Alternator! :driving: :rockon:

Thanks to CopperFiremist for the support and space to get this done! and Dkgarnet96 for lending a hand and problem solving. :ty:
Last edited by wiky_d_whack on January 25th 2017, 8:47pm, edited 1 time in total.
Original Poster [OP]
wiky_d_whack
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: wiky_d_whack has been a member for 6 full yearswiky_d_whack has been a member for 6 full yearswiky_d_whack has been a member for 6 full yearswiky_d_whack has been a member for 6 full yearswiky_d_whack has been a member for 6 full yearswiky_d_whack has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 10
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: CS 4.3L V6 AWD W

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • New HO 145 Amp Alternator Upgrade
    by Mmusicman » September 22nd 2020, 8:08pm in Electrical
    7 Replies
    Last post by Mmusicman View the latest post
    September 23rd 2020, 5:28pm
  • Good High End Alternator?
    by ri$e*above » June 27th 2020, 8:00pm in Electrical
    16 Replies
    Last post by ri$e*above View the latest post
    July 4th 2020, 2:16am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    December 4th 2020, 1:17pm

Re: CS130D to AD244 145 amp Alternator upgrade - '94 Astro

Postby dkGarnet96 » January 25th 2017, 2:35am

This is a pretty sweet mod, good write up :thumbup:
-96 AWD 350k- R.I.P with a spun bearing
dkGarnet96
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: dkGarnet96 has been a member for 5 full yearsdkGarnet96 has been a member for 5 full yearsdkGarnet96 has been a member for 5 full yearsdkGarnet96 has been a member for 5 full yearsdkGarnet96 has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1996
Extra Info: 4.3 awd

Postby CopperFiremistCopperFiremist is online! » January 25th 2017, 3:18am

Think this post is worthy of a Sticky? Maybe it should be called the "Big Four Upgrade" :poke:
Pullin The Pass
CopperFiremistCopperFiremist is online!
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L2)
Years of Membership: CopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 24
Alias (AKA): B
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: LS Swap

Postby AstroWill » January 25th 2017, 3:22am

Good writeup, it's the most common alternator upgrade and well worth it if you use a lot of juice.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore them & go about your business.
What has two thumbs and is living in your head rent-free? We hereby claim that it's this guy! Image
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense

Postby markmitch » January 25th 2017, 3:52am

great write up but it would not work on a 1st gen van , but thanks for adding it to the forum. Mark
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 615
Alias (AKA): AstroMark or 1st gen
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS V8

Postby Astrofarian » January 25th 2017, 4:10am

:whack:
markmitch wrote:great write up but it would not work on a 1st gen van , but thanks for adding it to the forum. Mark

....Uh, did I miss a meeting or is wicky_d_wack's 94 Astro not a 1st Gen van? Or, did you miss that part, Mark? :whack:

Don't mind me, Wicky/Copper/DKGarnet, I just can't let an opportunity to whack someone with a stick pass me by. You know how that works, right? LoL

-M!ke-
Move along....all is well.....return to your homes.....nothing to see here.
Astrofarian
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Astrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA): M!ke
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: Someday......

Postby CopperFiremistCopperFiremist is online! » January 25th 2017, 4:14am

Last time I checked it was 1st Gen. :cheers:
Pullin The Pass
CopperFiremistCopperFiremist is online!
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: CopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 24
Alias (AKA): B
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: LS Swap

Postby Astrofarian » January 25th 2017, 4:42am

CopperFiremist wrote:Last time I checked it was 1st Gen. :cheers:

Yeah but I called "DIBS" so I get 1st swing, ok?

-M!ke-
Move along....all is well.....return to your homes.....nothing to see here.
Astrofarian
Years of Membership: Astrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA): M!ke
Extra Info: Someday......

Postby AstroWill » January 25th 2017, 4:46am

The difference is the CS-130 vs CS-130D, two different alternators, and they started using the 130D in 94, so it just depends on what you got in there to start with.

You could change the plug on vehicles that came with the CS-130, but it's not plug-and-play like the CS-130D to AD244 swap.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore them & go about your business.
What has two thumbs and is living in your head rent-free? We hereby claim that it's this guy! Image
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years

Postby Lumpy » January 25th 2017, 3:58pm

I'd like to see the pics show as something other than click required thumbnails.

Seeing the work involved in the "other" style alternator mounting makes me really appreciate how simple it is in my 89.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby markmitch » January 25th 2017, 4:26pm

Oh sorry you are correct,EXCUSE ME! But I assumed it was second gen by the plug shown in the pictures as my plug/ is tiny compared the the one shown. Also my alternator has a big red wire that goes down to the starter. And my brackets are totally different and are made of steel so this write up will NOT work for me. I have owned many of these vans all 1st gen and it seems to me they used many different set ps for brackets on these early vans. Hope you all have a great day, Mark
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 615
Alias (AKA): AstroMark or 1st gen
Extra Info: RS V8

Postby AstroWill » January 25th 2017, 9:28pm

Lumpy wrote:I'd like to see the pics show as something other than click required thumbnails.

That is just what happens when you link the images using the gallery function.

AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby Lumpy » January 26th 2017, 2:37pm

AstroWill wrote:
Lumpy wrote:I'd like to see the pics show as something other than click required thumbnails.

I'd like to see the pics show as something other than click required thumbnails.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby AstroWill » January 26th 2017, 2:51pm

Lumpy wrote:
AstroWill wrote:

AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby Lumpy » January 26th 2017, 3:05pm

AstroWill wrote:

Then don't use the **** gallery function.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Alias (AKA):

Postby AstroWill » January 26th 2017, 3:17pm

Lumpy wrote:Then don't use the **** gallery function.

I don't think we have one of those, maybe it's in the explicit section.

AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby sixsix » January 26th 2017, 10:13pm

I saw in his profile that he has the " W " Motor.
Could that possibly be why there is such a difference in some Accessories and their respective Brackets?

His old stuff and bracket looks like our " W " Motor's.
Maybe there are changes in the Alternator - Option, etc requiring more / less Amps. Upfitter or Not.
Just a guess and ...

:twocents-02cents: :twocents-mytwocents: :2:

Mike

Well, after all... what would Banacek say ?... “May be hard to believe... President Trump should rest easy and concede what was in fact a foregone conclusion: Another OLD MAN won with only about 50% of the Change Believers/Fools showing up."

sixsix
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby Lumpy » January 26th 2017, 11:37pm

I"m not sure if it's W vs Z. I think there's som Gen I Z's that had the "other" setup from mine.

As you face my engine looking in from the front bumper -

My AC compressor is at 10 o'clock, alternator at 2 o'clock. Alt is really simple to access. AC is likely the most difficult to install and remove of any component I've ever seen on any vehicle.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Alias (AKA):

Postby gates » February 3rd 2017, 11:51pm

Anyone have a belt part number for the longer one? Or do you just take the old one to the parts store and figure it out?

I'd like to have one ready to go with the install

Also any reason why I shouldn't install this model?

I have two batteries for camping and a single 12 inch subwoofer or is the 145Amp more than enough?

Only 20 dollars more....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Alternator- ... nd&vxp=mtr
gates
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: gates has been a member for 4 full yearsgates has been a member for 4 full yearsgates has been a member for 4 full yearsgates has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 5
Alias (AKA): Kenny
Extra Info: 4.3 AWD Conversion

Postby zach914v8 » February 4th 2017, 12:09am

This was an awesome post and it is going to help me a lot. Thanks for the information.
My Rides:

1974 Porsche 914 powered by a 305 Chevy v8.

1994 GMC Safari TBI 4.3, Lifted 4"
zach914v8
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: zach914v8 has been a member for 11 full yearszach914v8 has been a member for 11 full yearszach914v8 has been a member for 11 full yearszach914v8 has been a member for 11 full yearszach914v8 has been a member for 11 full yearszach914v8 has been a member for 11 full yearszach914v8 has been a member for 11 full yearszach914v8 has been a member for 11 full yearszach914v8 has been a member for 11 full yearszach914v8 has been a member for 11 full yearszach914v8 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 12
Alias (AKA): ballzach
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4 inch lift

Next