Location of Engine to Body / Chassis Ground?

Location of Engine to Body / Chassis Ground?

Postby ProblemCar [OP] » September 11th 2017, 2:58am

Does anyone have a pic or good description of where on the chassis, the ground from the engine block is bolted? I have seen a wire bolted onto the engine block (just below the left/driver-side valve rocker arm cover - facing the rear, inside the dog house). That wire goes into a large 2" or 3" diameter harness/conduit, but I cannot see where the other end comes out of the harness and bolts onto the chassis. I have a 2003 Astro. Thank you.
Original Poster [OP]
ProblemCar
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: ProblemCar has been a member for 4 full yearsProblemCar has been a member for 4 full yearsProblemCar has been a member for 4 full yearsProblemCar has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 9
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2003
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: Location of Engine to Body / Chassis Ground?

Postby AstroWill » September 11th 2017, 4:35am

Have you heard about the GM Techline eSI(links in sig)? It has exactly what you are looking for.
https://goo.gl/n8dJkS
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 106
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense

Postby ProblemCar [OP] » September 11th 2017, 5:03am

I have the "SI DVD 2008.03 Last updated September 29, 2008" but the pics and drawings are pretty bad. The ground schematics do not mention the location of the grounds, but merely gives the codes for the grounds. Eg. the ground I was describing is merely labeled G107, G106 (there are two wires from the harness into that location next to the knock sensor). From the schematic, it seems like other components are terminated to ground there, and it's not where the engine block from there to another ground on the chassis. Perhaps I just have a bad version of the software. Thanks for the links though. Maybe I'll download again to see if it's different from mine.
Original Poster [OP]
ProblemCar
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: ProblemCar has been a member for 4 full yearsProblemCar has been a member for 4 full yearsProblemCar has been a member for 4 full yearsProblemCar has been a member for 4 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby AstroWill » September 11th 2017, 5:38am

NP, check:
Body>Wiring Systems>Component Locator>Master Electrical Component List

AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 106
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense

Postby chevymaher » September 11th 2017, 9:23am

I used the metal straps from a chevelle since I had a bunch of extras. Block to frame. Frame to body. Way better than the little wienie factory grounds in the wiring harness.

Doesn't matter where they were problem solved. Welder conductivity.

As for the actual question. They varied. I found 3 nobody knew were there. Not on the diagrams not in the collective knowledge. Just where ever the guy working that day felt like putting them.

Good example is the fuel pump ground on mine is actually under the drivers seat by the fuel filter. Sticks out of the wiring harness and bolts right to the floor. I cleaned the paint off bolted it back down and painted over it.

Just got to look and get intimate with your particular vehicle.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby ProblemCar [OP] » September 17th 2017, 3:48pm

Thank you AstroWill. Half the time I look at the diagrams in my eSI and I still can't figure it out because it's out of context, showing only a small part of the engine bay. But I think I finally figured out: on the 2003 there's one ground the bottom front side of the engine, in front of the starter, connecting directly to the negative end of the battery and/or the ground above the headlight in front of the battery. (But, in case future readers happen on this - I haven't crawled under to check just yet.)

As for getting intimate with my vehicle, alas no time, and I wasn't supposed to be married to it for 14 years!
Original Poster [OP]
ProblemCar
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Alias (AKA):