Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Iridium Spark plug issues

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  AstroWill 
#1 ·
Hello there,

I had the spark plugs changed to slightly hotter running NGK Iridium ones, recommended for the Astro Van on the Rockauto site. Since then my car is running rough when warm but very smoothly when cold. Did anyone else have similar issues or do I need to trace this problem down to something else?

Thanks!

#2 ·
Two things could have happened. You could have damaged the plug wire when removing it from the plug common problem. OR you could have a wire that isn't seated all the way. when the wire is removed it can break inside the boot or inside the insulation. If at anytime you tugged on the wire and not the boot it will happen.

#5 ·
dramey said:
Why did you go to a hotter plug?
Didn't realise they were a step hotter just went with Iridium ones recommended by Rockauto. I would even have preferred colder plugs as I drive on LPG. Went to a shop today and mechanic was adamant its not the plugs but the wires that are giving me trouble so will replace those and see.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.