Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Windshield wiper strangeness

2K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  sixsix 
#1 ·
My wipers will often keep running after the switch is turned off. This happens both when actuating the single wipe function or using the continuously on or time delay function. I can think of several possible causes. Maybe someone else has had the same problem and can save me some time by telling me how they fixed it.

The possible causes that come to mind are:
1) The wiper motor has a method of keeping the motor on long enough to get the wiper blades back in the lowered position, even if you turn them off when they are in some other part of their cycle. If this function is somehow sticking it could make the motor just keep going on and on.

2) Conductive crud in the control switch, telling the control unit to keep the wipers on.

3) Some fault in the control module.

Any ideas? Or anyone else experienced the same fault?

#4 ·
Great advice, but---would that work for my 1999 GMC Safari (AWD)'s problem, and it has recently topped 200,000 miles?

The original switch (multi-function, on steering column area) finally failed, and my windshield wipers (front) would keep going, even when I tried to shut them off, so my local mechanic replaced that switch.

The "new" switch lasted a few days, and again, my front windshield wipers would NOT stop going, so once again, he replaced that multi-function switch on the steering column.

Thought everything was good again, but just the other day--once again, the windshield wipers started going all by themselves, so I experimented, and found that I could keep them off most of the time, by doing this:

I put the windshield wipers on to the fastest position, and quickly turned the control back to the off position, and immediately forward to the fastest position, and right away back to the off position, and again and again for around 4 or so fast repetitions of this.

But, when I would "switch" from brights to dims (headlights), or from dims to brights, or when I would signal going to the left, or put on the right turn signal--after a second or so, the front windshield wipers would AGAIN start swiping again, all by themselves!

I would do the maximum quickly to the off position over and over again for 4 or 5 times, and the "automatic" motion of the front windshield wipers would stop (most times).

So, what's your advice for me (to share with my local mechanic)? The "new" switch obviously (I think) has some built in problem(s).

Thanks in advance! This forum's participants have :shock: saved me numerous times over the years from wanting to hit my head on a wall, due to frustration!

Carol

#7 ·
Carol, no need to post your cell phone number.

If you don't feel like soldering, you can buy a replacement board super cheap and replace it yourself, no need for a mechanic for this one.

#8 ·
Something that MIGHT be related to my van's problem (What do you all think?):

When my mechanic replaced the multi-function "switch" on the steering column, there was a new hole on top of the part of the steering column in between the dashboard and the steering wheel, and some little square shaped metal thing was sticking out of that weird new hole. Could this be somehow related to my problem of 3 functions causing unwanted constant windshield wiper motion, namely (1) using the windshield wipers and then TRYING to shut them off, (2) going from dims to brights, or from brights to dims, on the headlights, (3) signaling to turn right or, signaling to turn left, any of which now causes constant movement of my front windshield wipers (swiping)?

I also had the motors for both rear and front windshield wipers replaced, and am wondering why nobody so far, has suspected any defects within the multi-function 'SWITCH' that controls not only windshield wiper motion, but also lights (brights to dims, etc.,) and turn signals (left & right)?

Carol Sidofsky

#9 ·
My hubby just reminded me to say this, too:

The first time the "SWITCH" was replaced on the steering column, the windshield wipers worked normally for a while (around 1-2 months). The 2nd time that multi-function "SWITCH" was replaced, the windshield wipers worked normally for about a week or 2, and this is the present situation, so that is why we suspect the 'switch'.

What do you all think now?

Carol Sidofsky

#10 ·
Carol said:

The first time the "SWITCH" was replaced on the steering column, the windshield wipers worked normally for a while (around 1-2 months). The 2nd time that multi-function "SWITCH" was replaced, the windshield wipers worked normally for about a week or 2, and this is the present situation, so that is why we suspect the 'switch'.

Carol Sidofsky
It's the board in the wiper motor. You can get a Dorman part for about 30 bucks, pop 1 screw out and the cover, then remove the old board and put in the new board and cover with screw. I replaced a complete wiper motor on an S-10, but only because the wiper motor stopped working. I replaced the board in it about 6 months later and was good to go for a long time (sold the truck last year). The OE board might last long enough to get the van out of warranty, but it will eventually quit. Either solder up the cold joints in it, or just replace the board. I've replaced 3 of them now, and I've got 1 more to go (in my 88 Astro), as it's got a "phantom" wipe that I haven't fixed yet. I think I still have a spare board from my S-10, as I used to carry a spare in it. A friend of mine bought a brand new full size 91 GMC pick up, and once it got out of warranty, the board quit in it. He replaced it, and hasn't had an issue since. This is probably the number 1 problem most GM's have from the mid 80's thru the 00's on ALL models.

#11 ·
Carol said:

Carol Sidofsky
Still think the same, I read in your OP that it had been changed. The switch 'opens' the circuit to the motor, and then the motor figures out when to stop the wiper in the "park" position... the switches and circuitry to do that are in the wiper motor... has been this way for a LONG time, which is why I am surprised that any mechanic would be inclined to change the switch first....

A switch failure would much more likely result in wipers not working, or not working in some speeds...

When working on an 'intermittent' failure, it is not only possible but quite common to change out the wrong part and have that seem to fix something for a while. Especially true of anything dealing with electronic parts.

#12 ·
OK, I'll buy a Dorman replacement board for the front windshield wiper motor. My husband will try to replace what you all think is a faulty replacement board of my present front windshield wiper motor.

I'll let you all know what happens after my husband replaces that board!

Thank you all for your great insights and advice! :)

WHERE can I buy that Dorman replacement board? Is it available at O'Reilly Auto Parts (formerly Checker Auto Parts), or is it a dealer part, or where else can I find it?

Carol Sidofsky

#16 ·
#18 ·
Carol said:
Dang! I got the new board and my hubby just now put it in, and no change from what was happening before! Next we'll let our local mechanic take a look to see what he thinks is going on. I'll report back here when he looks at it. Carol
Would love to hear an update on this situation. Please say you did not use that same mechanic.
Might be time to cut bait.

or not...

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.