Windshield Wiper Pulse Board Help

Windshield Wiper Pulse Board Help

Postby krwjlt [OP] » August 26th 2011, 12:44am

Hello,
I have been having an intermittent problem with my windshield wipers. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't and other times they start and stop. I researched it here and found some suggestions about old and cracked soldering on the board so I checked it out. I didn't find any signs of cracked solder. I ran some sandpaper on the spade connections on the bottom right of the board and cleaned out the waterproof connection. I haven't been able to replicate the problem, so not sure if I fixed it or not.

Few questions:
1. Is there supposed to be some sort of gasket or seal between the cover and housing? Right now I don't have anything between the cover and housing and noticed that some dust and dirt made its way in.
2. Should I put some dielectric (sp?) silicone on the waterproof connection?
3. Any other things I should check regarding the problem?

Thanks
Kevin
Attachments
IMG_0159.JPG
connection cleaned with sandpaper
IMG_0161.JPG
IMG_0156.JPG
Original Poster [OP]
krwjlt
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: krwjlt has been a member for 9 full yearskrwjlt has been a member for 9 full yearskrwjlt has been a member for 9 full yearskrwjlt has been a member for 9 full yearskrwjlt has been a member for 9 full yearskrwjlt has been a member for 9 full yearskrwjlt has been a member for 9 full yearskrwjlt has been a member for 9 full yearskrwjlt has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 5
Alias (AKA): Kevin
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LS 4.3L V6 AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Windshield wiper motor
    by Dickrogers » October 23rd 2020, 7:47pm in Electrical
    6 Replies
    Last post by SportsBoySportsBoy is online! View the latest post
    October 25th 2020, 2:05am
  • Smoke on the dash board, fire in the sky
    by unclemaui » August 17th 2020, 8:56am in Electrical
    4 Replies
    Last post by markmitchmarkmitch is online! View the latest post
    August 18th 2020, 5:50am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    November 25th 2020, 3:01am

Re: Windshield Wiper Pulse Board Help

Postby egress » August 26th 2011, 4:02am

Every time I have come across this issue it has been the cracked solder joints. If it starts acting up again I would double check for bad solder joints. They are very hard to see. In the last picture you posted. Near your thumb are some flat / spade like terminals coming through the board. The crack will be right at the top where the terminal is coming out of the mound of solder.
egress
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: egress has been a member for 10 full yearsegress has been a member for 10 full yearsegress has been a member for 10 full yearsegress has been a member for 10 full yearsegress has been a member for 10 full yearsegress has been a member for 10 full yearsegress has been a member for 10 full yearsegress has been a member for 10 full yearsegress has been a member for 10 full yearsegress has been a member for 10 full years
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 4.3 2wd

Postby krwjlt [OP] » August 26th 2011, 4:26am

egress - thanks. I will check there again. Wasn't exactly sure which area to check. I focused more on the bottom right side of the board where it connects not the plug area. How about a seal or gasket? Is is supposed to have one between the cover and the housing? Kevin
Original Poster [OP]
krwjlt
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: krwjlt has been a member for 9 full yearskrwjlt has been a member for 9 full yearskrwjlt has been a member for 9 full yearskrwjlt has been a member for 9 full yearskrwjlt has been a member for 9 full yearskrwjlt has been a member for 9 full yearskrwjlt has been a member for 9 full yearskrwjlt has been a member for 9 full yearskrwjlt has been a member for 9 full years

Postby krwjlt [OP] » August 27th 2011, 3:20pm

Just a follow-up. I inspected the board a little closer again and am not sure if I found a small crack in the solder or not. There was a very slight difference with a little line visible in the solder, but unsure. I have yet to experience the problem again, but went ahead and picked up a new board at the auto parts store for insurance (amazed they had it in stock and only $28). The new parts did not come with a gasket but did come with hardware and the cover, so that answers that question. Thanks again.
Original Poster [OP]
krwjlt
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)

Postby Phantom » August 27th 2011, 4:16pm

krwjlt wrote:Just a follow-up. I inspected the board a little closer again and am not sure if I found a small crack in the solder or not. There was a very slight difference with a little line visible in the solder, but unsure. I have yet to experience the problem again, but went ahead and picked up a new board at the auto parts store for insurance (amazed they had it in stock and only $28). The new parts did not come with a gasket but did come with hardware and the cover, so that answers that question. Thanks again.

What brand of board did you buy and where did you get it?
Phantom
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: Phantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 15
Alias (AKA):

Postby krwjlt [OP] » August 27th 2011, 10:16pm

Cardone, $28.99 before tax, AutoZone.
Original Poster [OP]
krwjlt
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)