Weird problem with power locks & hatch. Suspect BCM? Short?

Weird problem with power locks & hatch. Suspect BCM? Short?

Postby 2000AstroVan [OP] » August 29th 2011, 11:47pm

I have a 2000 Astro LS 2wd. A few weeks ago, after a day of hard rain, the power locks are messed up bad, and I can't get the tailgate to open at all. Here's what I've found:

1. There's constant power to the lock side of the door lock relay. Consequently, the lock solenoids are constantly being pulled to close the locks. The voltage to that side is in the 11.4 volt range. I think that's a normal "lock" voltage though, because the "unlock" side of the relay, when I push the unlock button, is about the same.

2. I've pulled both lock switches, both RF and LF, and the problem is still there with them unplugged. I was hoping for a bad lock switch.

3. If I pull the light blue "lock" power lead off the input of the lock solenoid, the doors unlock just fine, but the tailgate still won't make a sound.

4. Now, the weird part: I obviously pulled the No. 13 fuse in the fuse block under the dash to keep from draining the battery. When I do that, the remote locks and unlocks the doors just fine! However, the tailgate won't do anything with the fuse pulled. So in no case can I get the tailgate up.

5. Just to see, I pulled the light blue "unlock" wire off the relay. I did this so I could leave the fuse in. The tailgate apparently uses that fuse circuit to unlock the hatch. Even with the fuse in place, the tailgate won't make a sound.

I'm wondering if the problem lies in the Body Control Module (BCM) or if there is a short in the tailgate. I'm having a very hard time finding wiring diagrams that help, and can't find any troubleshooting help, like normal voltages on bcm pins, etc.
Original Poster [OP]
2000AstroVan
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: 2000AstroVan has been a member for 9 full years2000AstroVan has been a member for 9 full years2000AstroVan has been a member for 9 full years2000AstroVan has been a member for 9 full years2000AstroVan has been a member for 9 full years2000AstroVan has been a member for 9 full years2000AstroVan has been a member for 9 full years2000AstroVan has been a member for 9 full years2000AstroVan has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • All of the sudden lost all power locks
    by dnwong » November 10th 2020, 8:03pm in Electrical
    1 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    November 10th 2020, 8:31pm
  • Weird Electrical Quirks
    by rstro » June 14th 2020, 11:41pm in Electrical
    2 Replies
    Last post by rstro View the latest post
    June 15th 2020, 12:48am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    November 28th 2020, 12:11pm

Re: Weird problem with power locks & hatch. Suspect BCM? Sh

Postby Rey » October 24th 2011, 10:31pm

I found all the schematics for my van here:

http://infotrac.galegroup.com/itweb/sav ... 9003520151

Hope it helps!
1999 GMC Safari SLE with 97k miles. Original Engine/Transmission.
Rey
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Years of Membership: Rey has been a member for 9 full yearsRey has been a member for 9 full yearsRey has been a member for 9 full yearsRey has been a member for 9 full yearsRey has been a member for 9 full yearsRey has been a member for 9 full yearsRey has been a member for 9 full yearsRey has been a member for 9 full yearsRey has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 8
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1999
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4.3L V6

Postby junkout » January 13th 2012, 1:23am

i have the same proplem did you find out what the problem was?
junkout
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Years of Membership: junkout has been a member for 9 full yearsjunkout has been a member for 9 full yearsjunkout has been a member for 9 full yearsjunkout has been a member for 9 full yearsjunkout has been a member for 9 full yearsjunkout has been a member for 9 full yearsjunkout has been a member for 9 full yearsjunkout has been a member for 9 full yearsjunkout has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 4
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: awd work van

Postby unrreal » January 13th 2012, 2:35am

try taking a look at the rear door relay is located in the same area where the jack is stored, here's a pic:
relay.gif
astro rear door relay
relay.gif (16.67 KiB) Viewed 2549 times
hope that helps... :geek:
unrreal
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: unrreal has been a member for 11 full yearsunrreal has been a member for 11 full yearsunrreal has been a member for 11 full yearsunrreal has been a member for 11 full yearsunrreal has been a member for 11 full yearsunrreal has been a member for 11 full yearsunrreal has been a member for 11 full yearsunrreal has been a member for 11 full yearsunrreal has been a member for 11 full yearsunrreal has been a member for 11 full yearsunrreal has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 22
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1999
Extra Info: 4.3L LS AWD

Postby junkout » January 13th 2012, 3:14am

thanks i will try that unfortunatly there is a tool box bolted in place in front of it and since i cant get the back door open it will be a pain in the *** but i will check it tomorrow
junkout
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Years of Membership: junkout has been a member for 9 full yearsjunkout has been a member for 9 full yearsjunkout has been a member for 9 full yearsjunkout has been a member for 9 full yearsjunkout has been a member for 9 full yearsjunkout has been a member for 9 full yearsjunkout has been a member for 9 full yearsjunkout has been a member for 9 full yearsjunkout has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 4
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: awd work van

Postby DRZ » January 13th 2014, 5:13pm

junkout wrote:i have the same problem did you find out what the problem was?

That's one of the reasons I made a manual Dutch door inside unlocking mod. Pics are in the ( Astro "El Camino" & other Astro stuff ) in the Projects/Builds section. You'll have to wade through a lot of pics but it's in there.
DRZ
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: DRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 53
Alias (AKA): HPbyStan
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: awd cargo Alloys

Postby jmeb » August 4th 2014, 8:47pm

DRZ wrote:
junkout wrote:i have the same problem did you find out what the problem was?

That's one of the reasons I made a manual Dutch door inside unlocking mod. Pics are in the ( Astro "El Camino" & other Astro stuff ) in the Projects/Builds section. You'll have to wade through a lot of pics but it's in there.

For future reference the photos of this mechanism begin around here: http://s296.photobucket.com/user/HPbySt ... ort=6&o=38

and are referenced in this post: viewtopic.php?f=127&t=14892&start=80#p168903

I don't quite understand how the actual mechanism works but it looks promising. It'd be interesting to hear how this worked out.
Bessie: 2001 AWD @ 180K. Sold.
Storm: 2001 AWD @ 133K. 3" lift, swivels, racks galore, being camperized.
jmeb
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: jmeb has been a member for 6 full yearsjmeb has been a member for 6 full yearsjmeb has been a member for 6 full yearsjmeb has been a member for 6 full yearsjmeb has been a member for 6 full yearsjmeb has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 7
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2001
Extra Info: AWD